So, I've recently (for the lulz) bought a cheap Mac PowerPC G3. My original intent was to make a marginal profit by reselling it at a higher price ($5-$15 higher) but I figured a computer is a computer regardless the age so I may as well put it to use somehow. But how? What d'y'all suggest?

So far, my ideas go about as a far as installing Arch PPC Linux on it.

Specs as declared by seller:
PowerPC G3 266MHz processor
64MB RAM, 110MB virtual memory
6GB hard drive, about 3GB free space

Came with only the power cable, a burned Mac OS 9 disc, and a mouse. I can just nab a keyboard from home or buy a cheap one off Craigslist or something.

I've christened it "Ireul" and if it comes down to it, I get a pink and white transistor-y footrest Very Happy

And for those wondering, that's a NERF Longstrike CS-6 in the background Wink
If you need help with Arch PPC join #archlinuxppc on freenode, me kth5, or any of the other people there should be able to help you with it.

I'm also in the market for a PPC machine just to mess with it. My Wii jsut isn't cutting it for my PPC fix.
Nerf Longstrike ftw! Awesome Nerf product. Smile I'd say at least try out Arch PPC for the lulz, and if it's completely useless, then go back to the footrest or resale idea.
KermMartian wrote:
Nerf Longstrike ftw! Awesome Nerf product. Smile I'd say at least try out Arch PPC for the lulz, and if it's completely useless, then go back to the footrest or resale idea.

Its not compeletely useless, the repo's may be smaller than other PPC distros but the Arch Build System makes it easy to build what you need from scratch, as long as the devs don't just assume eveyone uses x86.
Going to have to stop by the Campus bookstore and pick up some CD-Rs so I can burn a disc of Arch PPC.

And thanks for the IRC heads-up, Storm. I'll be sure to drop by once I get Ireul running (if it indeed does run to begin with).

What exactly could I even use Ireul for anyway? Aside from a cheap means of learning the lay of the land of (Arch) Linux, I mean.
I find more pleasure in this topic by the fact you bought something at Target.

Also, OS IX is old. I bet you could bump up to OS X 10.1 or something x)
comicIDIOT wrote:
I find more pleasure in this topic by the fact you bought something at Target.

That's the bag the power cable, OS 9 disc, and optical mouse came in.

comicIDIOT wrote:
Also, OS IX is old. I bet you could bump up to OS X 10.1 or something x)

No. Just. No.
KeithJohansen wrote:
Going to have to stop by the Campus bookstore and pick up some CD-Rs so I can burn a disc of Arch PPC.

And thanks for the IRC heads-up, Storm. I'll be sure to drop by once I get Ireul running (if it indeed does run to begin with).

What exactly could I even use Ireul for anyway? Aside from a cheap means of learning the lay of the land of (Arch) Linux, I mean.

I think learning about PPC and linux in general is the best use for this machine, as well as maybe some photo and video editing depending on how decent your main machine is.

Also I assume you know this already but in case you didn't http://archlinuxppc.org/ is the PPC port of Arch linux's official site.

Edit: removed my stupidity
TheStorm wrote:
I think learning about PPC and linux in general is the best use for this machine, as well as maybe some photo and video editing depending on how decent your main machine is.

Also I assume you know this already but in case you didn't http://archlinuxppc.org/ is the PPC port of Arch linux's official site. .

Yeah, I'm definitely going to use it to start a real venture into using Linux. Since it's pretty much not going to ever have any critical files on it, I can freely FUBAR it as much as I want Very Happy

I wouldn't even dare edit photos and videos on a MB-mem-MHz-processor machine. That would be heck. My main desktop Gehirn is more suited to that, what with its 3.2 Ghz hyperthreaded dual core and 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM Razz

I've already downloaded an ISO from the official site Smile

Also, for those wondering, "Ireul" is the Eleventh Angel from Neon Genesis Evangelion, which was a biological computer circuit. The PowerPC is somewhat 'alien' to my computer collection (purely Windows/Linux PCs) that the name somewhat fit `-`

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours