10w is no 4w. Razz If you're carrying around a netbook as a wearable computer, and ignoring power drain from everything except the processor, the one with the atom is going to last more than twice as long on the same battery. That's the difference between wearable computing for 4 hours and for the whole day.
My aspire one runs visual studio 2008 fine. The only question is why would you want it to? Seriously, have you ever coded on a resolution that small before? It's like torture. I even plugged a second monitor into it and it still killed me inside a little.

I eventually decided to play to its strengths. Netbooks are good at being useless, so I installed OSX on it to further magnify that aspect.
foamy3 wrote:
My aspire one runs visual studio 2008 fine. The only question is why would you want it to? Seriously, have you ever coded on a resolution that small before? It's like torture. I even plugged a second monitor into it and it still killed me inside a little.

I eventually decided to play to its strengths. Netbooks are good at being useless, so I installed OSX on it to further magnify that aspect.
Actually, I don't find it bad at all. I ended up writing most of the client-side Python and C code that forms the frontend of Scouter on my eeePC, while I coded the Lush and Python and C training programs to process my face database on my quad-LCD, powerful, very-not-an-Atom desktop.
KermMartian wrote:
10w is no 4w. Razz If you're carrying around a netbook as a wearable computer, and ignoring power drain from everything except the processor, the one with the atom is going to last more than twice as long on the same battery. That's the difference between wearable computing for 4 hours and for the whole day.

No it won't, because you are completely ignoring everything else in the computer that is using power. Chipset, GPU, RAM, screen, wifi, screen, wifi, and screen. Did I mention the screen? Yeah, that's the biggest power hog.

Besides, that 10w vs. 4w is TDP. A C2D CULV can fire up both cores, solve the problem in 1/3rd the time, and dive back into idle where it will use the same amount of power as an Atom at idle, ultimately using less power since the Atom will be chugging along at 100% load for 3 times longer. Also, the dual core Atoms that are coming out are 10w as well - and still slow.

Hence, my 13" laptop has better battery life than any netbook on the market. Let's see an eeePC hit 10 hours of web surfing. Hell, I've got the iPad beat.

And just incase you think I'm exaggerating: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/asus-ul30a.aspx?page=2
Quote:
While the UL30A’s eight-cell battery didn’t quite reach the advertised 12 hours of runtime when we ran the LAPTOP Battery Test (continuous Web surfing over Wi-Fi), it still impressed. At 9 hours and 55 minutes, this ultraportable’s runtime is more than double the category average (4:57), and is one of the longest-lasting notebooks we’ve ever tested. Even the Toshiba mini NB205 netbook lasted 31 minutes less. With battery life this long, the UL30A should power through a full day, or even a transcontinental flight.

Faster than an Atom netbook, and with better battery life than a netbook. Only reason to get a netbook is if you are looking to spend $200-300. Dropped $400+ on a netbook? Sucks to be you.
Well, my school spent $270 to buy it as the core of my thesis, so I didn't lose out too much there. Razz And funny you should mention the screen - since it's a wearable computer, my display is obviating the need for the computer to waste any power on the screen. Less cooling needed for a less-hot processor helps too, so there's not as much extra stuff sucking down battery as you might think.
KermMartian wrote:
Well, my school spent $270 to buy it as the core of my thesis, so I didn't lose out too much there. Razz And funny you should mention the screen - since it's a wearable computer, my display is obviating the need for the computer to waste any power on the screen. Less cooling needed for a less-hot processor helps too, so there's not as much extra stuff sucking down battery as you might think.

It's also not running at 100% all the time, I'm guessing. A C2D CULV doesn't use anywhere near 10w when it's idle, nor does an Atom use 4w at idle. They have powered down states and clock throttling, you know.

Still ignoring the chipset, motherboard, and wifi/bluetooth/usb
Actually, when the face processing system is running, it is indeed running flat-out, HT (for what it's worth) and all.
How do these look? I'm trying to decide which one I would like best. My mom also has a credit card with Bestbuy, so we can get 15% off, and have 18 months to pay it off with no interest.

The first one is the lightest, comes with WinXP, has a 160gb hard drive, and is $239.99

The second one is the heaviest, comes with Win7 Starter, has a 160gb hard drive, and is $219.99

The third one is the other heaviest, comes with Win7 Starter, has a 250gb hard drive, and is $239.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Eee+PC+Netbook+with+Intel%26%23174;+Atom%26%23153;+Processor+-+Black/9705424.p?id=1218154380370&skuId=9705424

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Refurbished+Eee+PC+Netbook+/+Intel%26%23174;+Atom%26%23153;+Processor+/+10.1%22+Display+/+1GB+Memory+/+160GB+Hard+Drive+-+Midnight+Blue/1017016.p?id=1218239222941&skuId=1017016

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Refurbished+Eee+PC+Netbook+with+Intel%26%23174;+Atom%26%23153;+Processor+/+10.1%22+Display+/+1GB+Memory+/+250GB+Hard+Drive+-+Deep+Red/1231184.p?id=1218239490730&skuId=1231184
My only advice with netbooks is:
1) Get at least an 8GB flash drive. You will need it to move stuff over. I HATE carrying an external USB CD Drive, Flash Drives Beat drive any day!
2) Get a bigger battery. It really isn't 8 hours in real life. 12 cell batteries can actually get you through the day!
I'm afraid all those links are 404s for me, _player. Sad Personally, I'd go with one of the latter two netbooks; they're not that much heavier and are newer versions (not to mention shipping with Win7).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours