This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
Tiogger

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 12:27:33 am    Post subject:

I am planning on asking for a TI Calculator for this upcoming Christmas for some programming fun. There are a lot of them to choose from. I noticed the TI-83/84 Plus seems to be the popular choice. The TI-89 Titanium seems to be frowned upon as a gaming platform due to it's difficulty in getting games to work on it. The TI N-Spire seems to be relatively new to the homebrew scene as it was only "jailbroken" recently and there doesn't seem to be much info and games for it, however from what i hear it's supposed to be very powerful more then most TI calculators. So what i would like to know is what calculator model do you recommend i ask for Christmas this year so that i can play games and even program games for it? any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

TIogger
Xeda112358

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 11:08:47 am    Post subject:

I do not have an Nspire, but I do own an 89 Titanium, 84+, and 84+SE. I love the 89t for its math capabilities and its powerful programming language. There have been some great BASIC games made as well as some ASM games.

I program mostly for the 83+/84+/SE calcs, however, and I thoroughly enjoy it. There is tons of documentation and a large community of users.

For the Nspires, the userbase is growing and more documentation is coming out. If you can get a good hold of programming for the Nspire, you can probably find yourself in a nice position in the community Smile
tiuser1010

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 06:04:28 am    Post subject:

In my personal experience I would choose a calculator from the z80 series, specifically the 83 or 84 for programming. There is already a lot of information on how to program these calculators. Many examples, tutorials and almost countless resources already present for them. (not to say there are not any for other calculator series, again this is my own personal experience.) My personal favorite is the TI-83 Plus Sliver Edition, because being a sliver edition, it has an huge amount of ROM, it a little over 1.5MB and it has little more RAM than a TI-84 Plus,Sliver Edition or otherwise. (just enough to play most gameboy games with the TI-Boy emulator.) The Downside is that the TI-83 Plus Sliver Edition is discontinued and if you do get one, the only way i have found to connect to a computer is the Silver USB Cable. They cost around $20. If your trying to get the 83 Plus sliver edition try ebay. I got mine for $40 instead of buying an over-priced $100 84 Plus. Overall I would say ask for the 83 Plus sliver edition if possible and/or plausible, and if you can't, go with the 84 plus sliver edition for programming. Whether you are new to calculator programming or just programming altogether, I would say the z80 series as a whole is always a good choice.

Now in terms of games the choice for me becomes harder. They all have some good games. I personally like DOOM, Desolate and Robot War for the z80 series. I am Pretty sure now that all the series, z80, 68K(85 and up), and nspire, all have gameboy emulation, but the nspire probably has the best quality, followed by the 68K series. Again Gaming a little tough so I'm not going to base it off of gaming.

If you ever get the chance I would say try calculators from many series, expand and try not to limit yourself to one calculator, or even a series of calculators.

Last edited by Guest on 23 Nov 2011 06:05:24 am; edited 1 time in total
jammasterz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 02 Dec 2011 04:49:32 am    Post subject:

Im terribly sorry for spam, but why cant i post any new thread? I have activated my account, but nothing changed.
Xeda112358

Posted: 02 Dec 2011 07:30:10 am    Post subject:

There might be a restriction in place that only allows members who have posted before to make new topics (to prevent spam bots from coming on and making new topics). Are you now able to?
jammasterz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 02 Dec 2011 08:52:47 am    Post subject:

ThunderBolt wrote:

There might be a restriction in place that only allows members who have posted before to make new topics (to prevent spam bots from coming on and making new topics). Are you now able to?

Yes, Thank you so much!
Xeda112358

Posted: 02 Dec 2011 03:41:35 pm    Post subject:

Awesome, glad to help Very Happy
tiboyz

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 03:11:56 am    Post subject:

tiuser1010 wrote:

The Downside is that the TI-83 Plus Sliver Edition is discontinued and if you do get one, the only way i have found to connect to a computer is the Silver USB Cable. They cost around $20.

If you are in european union, you can find much cheaper USB cable on http://ticable.legtux.org/index_en.php
cables are sent from France by priority international mail service.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement