This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
vic9317

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 10:29:52 pm    Post subject:

So I got to thinking recently about how computers/calculators have become pretty quick when it comes to calculating things. I was wondering how the calculator actually does this. For example, per TI|BD, I know that the fnInt( function uses the Gauss-Kronrod method to approximate definite integrals (though I don't nearly have enough math experience to understand what that method is exactly). Another example: the rand command uses L'Ecuyer's algorithm to generate its pseudorandom numbers.

What about simpler functions, like abs(? I'd imagine the calculator just follows a simple routine, right? But what about other commands, i.e. normalcdf( or even sin(? How does the calculator even calculate something like 3^8.329 or ln(4)? Naturally, I assume that these all come down to some advanced approximation methods, do they?

Pardon me if I'm asking too many questions, I'm just curious. :P

If there are any reading materials that might shed some light on the matter, could you please provide links to them? If you do decide to answer with a lengthy response, however, I shall be extremely grateful.
Xeda112358

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 11:51:49 pm    Post subject:

How familiar are you with assembly? That would make it easier to answer some questions. I think the abs( command is the easiest command of the ones you mentioned, so I will explain that one real quick (I'm a tad sleepy). Real numbers use 9 bytes. The first two bytes have info that tells if it is negative/positive, imaginary/real, and the power and decimal location. If bit 7 of the first byte is set, the number is negative, otherwise it is positive. For a real number, you simply reset that bit and it is positive.
DrDnar

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 05:03:26 pm    Post subject:

The calculator use BCD, Binary Coded Decimal, so it does a lot a math the same way you'd do it by hand. I don't know how exactly the EOS calculates sine values, but one popular way is to use Taylor series. Although a Taylor series is infinite, a reasonably small finite polynomial can yield a surprisingly accurate approximation. For example,
x - x^3/3! + x^5/5! - x^7/7! is accurate to five decimal places for -1 < x < 1. There is, in fact, a specific algorithm for computing sine that's based on Taylor series and is optimized for CPUs without multiplication and division instruction.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Mar 2011 05:07:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Impiety

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 07:08:55 pm    Post subject:

The answer to your question "how does the calculator work" can either be abstract and simple or insanely complex. There are multiple different levels of understanding involved, so how your question is answered depends on how deep you want to delve into the matter. The programming language you're familiar with, TI-BASIC, is a high-level language - ultimately, it must be converted somehow into low level language (assembly) in order to function; in this instance through an interpreter. However, assembly, in turn can be broken down to machine language, which can be broken down to circuits, buses and registers, which can be broken down to Chemistry, which can be broken down to Physics, etc.

For more info on assembly, you can download Lean TI-83+ Assembly in 28 days here.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, too Very Happy . It's not like this site gets a whole lot of traffic anyway - we need all the activity we can get.
Xeda112358

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 08:35:50 pm    Post subject:

Well said Very Happy Also, now that I am a little more awake, I can answer some more... The calculator actually has the value of pi/4 or some constant like that stored in memory somewhere, so that is probably loaded into memory somewhere and basic math can be performed on it. However, for sin/cos and whatnot, a Taylor series is likely used (as Dr. D'nar said). A lot of calculus and number theory is used to create math functions and stuff gets really fun when you are working in binary or hex Very Happy
vic9317

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 06:46:14 pm    Post subject:

ThunderBolt wrote:

How familiar are you with assembly?

I'm only slightly familiar with assembly, but I can understand what you're saying. (In fact, that was pretty much how I expected abs( to work.) :D

Impiety wrote:

The answer to your question "how does the calculator work" can either be abstract and simple or insanely complex. There are multiple different levels of understanding involved, so how your question is answered depends on how deep you want to delve into the matter.

How about just an explanation of what routines the calculator uses for, say, calculating the nth root of a number, or how it calculates 5^4.251, for example? (we must go deeeper!) Razz

ThunderBolt wrote:

Well said Very Happy Also, now that I am a little more awake, I can answer some more... The calculator actually has the value of pi/4 or some constant like that stored in memory somewhere, so that is probably loaded into memory somewhere and basic math can be performed on it. However, for sin/cos and whatnot, a Taylor series is likely used (as Dr. D'nar said). A lot of calculus and number theory is used to create math functions and stuff gets really fun when you are working in binary or hex Very Happy

Ah, it does make sense for the calculator to use Taylor series to approximate trig functions. Now the question is how the calculator can calculate such a Taylor series and to what precision.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your taking the time to answer.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 08:12:51 pm    Post subject:

Trig functions are calculated using a table-based method called CORDIC. See http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/14/1416.html for some information that was released by TI many years ago. It's old, but most of the algorithms used by the Z80 models haven't changed substantially since the TI-85 (many of them haven't changed since the TI-81!)
Xeda112358

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 09:16:13 pm    Post subject:

Haha, cool! I have used CORDIC before to make trig functions... that stuff is a little tricky x.x
Anywho, for the most part, algorithms are used to calculate things and some of those algorithms are actually pretty cool and may surprise you. If you remember way back in grade school you probably learned longhand multiplication. That is actually how the calc multiplies. I am not sure of how it is done with BCD exactly, but I do know how it is done in straight binary/hex. I have had a little experience with making programs that perform simple operations...
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 09:49:02 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. I've never actually looked at how the multiplication routine works. Let's take a look...

...and WOW, that's inefficient. :P

Worth keeping in mind: the time taken to perform an FPMult doesn't depend on the contents of OP1 (unless OP1 is zero), but it depends greatly on OP2 (the number of additions performed is proportional to the sum of the digits of OP2; the number of shifts performed is proportional to the position of the last nonzero digit.) So if you have a choice, put the "simpler" of your two numbers in OP2.
Xeda112358

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 10:13:41 pm    Post subject:

Oh wow, that is good to know! I have only worked with BCD a little and I've only ever done addition and subtraction :/
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 08:54:25 pm    Post subject:

People who are curious as to the simpler functions of the calculator (e.g. computing rational powers or CORDIC for the trigonometrics) should have a peek at Rising's Inside Your Calculator; the book gives a (more or less) simple explanation for what goes under the hood.

The stuff on L'Ecuyer's algorithm was teased out in one of those threads in the TI-Basic subforum; I believe I also left a link to the original paper by Pierre L'Ecuyer there.

As for Gauss-Kronrod... it's a bit tricky; suffice it to say that it's a so-called "adaptive quadrature" method, where the interval of integration for the function being integrated is recursively split up such that in sections where the integrand is "steeper" more function evaluations are done in computing the integral.

The basic quadrature rule underlying the adaptive Gauss-Kronrod method, just like the usual trapezoidal and Simpson's rule methods, evaluates the integrand at certain points and computes a "weighted average" of those values, but instead of the equal spacing in the trapezoidal and Simpson's rule methods, the integrand is evaluated at the roots of two special polynomials (the Legendre and Stieltjes polynomials), which are then used to compute two estimates of the integral (thus, the error estimate is the difference between these two estimates). If the estimate is too "large" (depending on how the error tolerance was set), the interval is split up; otherwise, the result is added to a running total. The method stops when all the sub-intervals have "small" enough error estimates, or when "too many" function evaluations have already been done without meeting the error tolerance.

(I had written a TI-BASIC routine to generate the basic Gauss-Kronrod rules a few years ago; they are a bit long, and I'll post them only if there's interest.)

thornahawk
vic9317

Posted: 01 Apr 2011 05:52:33 pm    Post subject:

Wow! Great stuff! I'll be sure to take a look at everything.

Thanks guys. Smile
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement