This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
jsj795

Posted: 04 Mar 2011 12:01:07 am    Post subject:

Voted for TCG. I always wanted to make one, and this seems to be a good incentive to do so! There aren't many TCG out there I believe Smile
Art_of_camelot

Posted: 04 Mar 2011 10:56:47 am    Post subject:

Wow, trading card games are leading the way! Surprised I'm a bit surprised!
ferox

Posted: 04 Mar 2011 05:17:01 pm    Post subject:

why being surprised. trading cards games are epic! Very Happy
tcg are rare, i have looked for them on ticalc, and i was able to find one, but i didn't really like it, so now im gonna make my own one Rolling Eyes
Xeda112358

Posted: 04 Mar 2011 05:25:14 pm    Post subject:

Awesome! And hi ferox! I'm not going to be here to see what the final votes will look like, but I cannot wait!
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Mar 2011 02:15:05 am    Post subject:

It is nice to see a new contest, but I was hoping to have more items hammered out prior to moving forward.

Sounds good with a few unresolved issues:

This weekend I will work on creating a section and testing the uploads and downloads for contest entries as well as setting up the Staff from both sites that will be judging the contest.

The rules have not been decided and bargained, either.

We were thinking it depends on who (what sponsor) is providing the prize(s):

1. Nobody on the UTI Staff or Revsoft Staff (or anyone judging) may submit an entry.

2. Under 25 and a student to be eligible

3. No illegal copyright infringement

4. No late entries for any reason

5. BASIC will be accepted to allow more people to participate (I would like us to not accept ASM to put everyone on an even playing field, but I don't know what Revsoft wants on this & they represent 50% of the contest)

6. The winning person must be located in the United States if United-TI is responsible for shipping the prize. Last time someone in Canada won and customs messed everything up seeming to think we somehow provided them a source of tax revenue for a Graphing Calculator... it is not fair if the winner has to pay customs fees.

7. Should the prize be a cash-prize via Pay Pal, we will pay the fees for domestic. Should the money need to get converted i.e. into Euros, the amount issued will be the same US Dollar amount, but we will NOT be paying the conversion fees or any additional foreign fees.

*. Regretfully at this time, we have no idea who will tender the prize(s) or remit payment. Before we can figure out these "business-type details", we need to figure out if we can get a corporate sponsorship/grant, but this will require such things as negotiation of the rules as well as establishing a paradigm of values of integrity and a solid methodology for fair/just scoring through the use of an objective rubric and certification through signed affidavits that we are in compliance. We will need to be able to explain every detail such as the setup of the management of the contest, and write an official letter to-sell our ideas for the contest to the sponsor for some good Public Relations(i.e. giving a prize to a student <25). This is our "hopeful" plan, but since United-TI is NOT affiliated with any companies we will have to start from scratch and come up with adequate documentation each step of the way. Unfortunately, this will take considerable time to get things into place before we are willing to write the letter and sign our names asking for a sponsor.

Last edited by Guest on 05 Mar 2011 03:38:24 am; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 05 Mar 2011 03:12:22 am    Post subject:

It is great to see a new contest going forward, considering that when the last official United-TI programming contest was run, I did play a significant role in administering it, the prize, and so on.

However, I was hoping to get a few more details sorted out before moving forward with this contest, such as corporate sponsorship, if possible. It is possible that in order to gain corporate sponsorship we may have to coordinate and bargain rules of the contest with the sponsor. In all fairness United-TI will not officially be ready on the 7th to move forward with the contest, if we are to involve a business, those things take time.

Also as far as shipping with prizes, I don't recommend shipping anything across country borders because of the incredibly high costs shipping, customs fees, and amount of corrupt customs agents where packages will often just disappear, or only the shipping label makes it to the destination.

Having said those things, I am very glad to see movement in a new contest, the enthusiasm from the members who are willing to participate, and cross-community effort to coordinate and administrate this contest. Good luck to all.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Mar 2011 03:58:48 am    Post subject:

I would like to point out that United-TI will be affiliating with Revsoft for the purpose of this 2011 programming contest. I am also sorry if anyone thinks it is unfair that we at United-TI is holding up the process because we need more time, but there is a lot of private stuff going on in our lives and also behind-the-scenes of United-TI: April fools planning, and a possible migration to another web host just to name a couple.

It is important that everyone know that neither AlienCC nor I are killing this topic or this contest; on the contrary, we will be supporting it one-step at at time and dealing with the documentation, core planning, and sponsorship issues on behalf of the United-TI organization. Please everyone continue to vote; since, we all need a topic. I am going to concurrently try to figure out a way to handle the upload/download of the entries and proper security rights, when I get a chance as well as appointing all of the moderators for this contest.

We at United-TI just want everyone to know that we will not be officially announcing any prize(s) that we will be paying for on Monday the 7th; since, we have not thought it through or prepared any documentation nor attempted to gain sponsorship at this time. In our opinions, it is too early to start programming for the contest because the participants do not even have a scoring rubric to know what criteria we will be judging.
Alan

Posted: 06 Mar 2011 04:10:44 am    Post subject:

Wow! Its good to see another contest of this caliber! Good luck to everyone Smile
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 06 Mar 2011 11:02:13 am    Post subject:

Can't wait for more info!
I've already come up with my idea, and started some sprites.

This might be what UTI needs to get more people visiting again.
Madskillz

Posted: 06 Mar 2011 01:52:13 pm    Post subject:

The contest will officially start on March 7th whether it comes with UTI on board or not. We may not have the first place prize figured out yet, but we will have some more information posted tomorrow about other contest related stuff. We will have a rubric this week so you know what it is you have to have to get a good score.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Mar 2011 03:03:21 pm    Post subject:

Madskillz,

As AlienCC and I, two of the core founders of United-TI, have clearly indicated we are on-board for this contest and will be happy to affiliate with you and the representative Revsoft staff - after-all, it is our mission to unite the various programming groups and facilitate joint ventures.

Then you went ahead and jumped the gun without working together with us and posted this topic to coerce our early, unprepared involvement concurrently PMing us starting out with, "I'm sorry if you guys felt like you needed more time, but I think we had ample time. We had over a week to come up with rules since I posted a start on February 24th via our little conversation here. As for prizes, I don't think they have to be nailed down by the 7th..."

Please try and understand AlienCC and I have significant business experience, very demanding careers, families to provide for, and past-experience knowing how much leg-work it takes to make something like this contest really work. As we explained, we have a prime opportunity to get corporate sponsorship, which would provide nearly free marketing publicity for our sponsor and good business all around with active community involvement for all of our members. It is great public relations & it is great marketing!

It is important to us to have the contest rules, objective scoring rubric, and price secured before we announce the start of the contest.

I.e. If the contest were to construct a card game, we would not be able to score the entires because we would be comparing apples to oranges because we could not compare solitaire to black jack or poker.

Please heed the wisdom of AlienCC via the Private Messages specifically when he posed the question, "Are we trying to have just another contest, or are we trying to have a contest worth having?"

Please only announce the topic of the programming contest on the 7th then forward us all an actual, printable score sheet, so we can agree on the objectives and the scoring methodology. Also have anyone who is going to score entries register for this forum and PM us the names and a small amount of background info on each person, so we can set everything up on our end. Please, Please do this instead of starting a contest on our behalf...

Last edited by Guest on 06 Mar 2011 03:07:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madskillz

Posted: 06 Mar 2011 03:49:37 pm    Post subject:

Obviously nobody from a senior level of staff reads there pms around here.

The truth is that this has been in discussion for about a month now. I have sent countless PMs to everybody with little response from AlienCC or anyone else from the staff besides some effort by NetWizz and Xeda. I see they feel like our discussions need to be public which is a shame. We all have busy lives. I manage work, family time, bills, programming and other activities and still find the time to read my PMs. That is no excuse for not making an effort.

I posted this topic to get people interested in a contest and to let the community get involved and allow them to choose something that they would be interested in. Everybody knew a well that the contest was to start in March and end in May. Revolution Software was ready to start a few weeks ago, we offered a separate neutral forum for the participants to join and have their own individual threads for their entry. Instead UTI wanted to host, I said fine. But they never made any effort for it. NetWizz even said that they hadn't sent anything out to a sponsor (edited by NETWIzz to remove potential sponsor name) about sponsoring a contest yet. When he said himself that he would write to ******* ******* (Edit to remove name) in a PM on Feb 10th. The lack of not being ready is not my fault. If you fail to act nothing is ever going to get done. The contest is already pushed back a week the way it is. There are other groups in the community that have their own contests coming up, I do not want to take up any of their time for their own contests!

Quote:
It is important to us to have the contest rules, objective scoring rubric, and price secured before we announce the start of the contest

-Yet you make no effort to discuss scoring or prizes besides ***** (edited by NETWIzz to remove potential sponsor's name) involvement. In a PM last week, before I posted this topic, I said we should organize the rules and agree upon them. Not one of you responded with any ideas or changes to what we had already.

Quote:

Please only announce what the programming contest will be about on the 7th then forward us an actual, printable score sheet, so we can agree on the objectives and the scoring methodology. Also have anyone who is going to score entries register for this forum and PM us the names and a small amount of background info on each person, so we can set everything up on our end. Please, Please do this instead of starting a contest on our behalf...

-I made up a rubric today, since none of you have offered and said we will post about it after this coming week, I never said tomorrow. Please dont make it seem like I am rushing you guys!

I don't feel that we should waste the community's time with a petty argument. If nobody steps up to get things going, nothing would have gotten done. I know a month isn't a super generous amount of time. I will give you that. However it was enough time to get things going like at least the rules by this week. I'm sorry they felt like they couldn't handle this via a PM.

I will post updates to this contest on RevSoft moving forward. If UTI feels too rushed, we can always do another contest some other time. But Revolution Software is going to have one starting tomorrow and ending on June 6th. Perhaps we could join up some other time when time was more permitting.

I wish no hard feelings towards anybody at UTI, you have a great community.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Mar 2011 05:34:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Mar 2011 05:54:32 pm    Post subject:

Travis, Please quit mentioning a potential sponsor's name. It is NOT okay to mention their name publicly putting them in a position to face bad PR should they turn down this offer; since, they have not been asked nor made any official statement to us. As a founder & webmaster of another community-driven programming group, you understand this.

We at United-TI have provided our reasons for needing more time to which you have not accepted, yet you have not personally secured any prizes (aside from a $10 gift-card to somewhere that you probably intend to re-gift). You have also suggested we all set aside $20, which is totally fine in theory, but in practice many people won't do it even if they commit to it. Should we eventually accept this, we wouldo take responsibility to ensure the full-amount of the prize is paid out even if various donors fall through.

Lastly, I assure you the Senior Level staff read all of the PMs and discussed them in private before we make any official response. The truth is that initial talks began February 10th about doing a programming contest, and we agreed. On March 1st you went ahead and made an official announcement on our behalf without giving us any heads-up that you were going to do that. We would have asked you to describe your plan and time-table and that all your ducks be in a row before you begin the contest.

We saw your rubric. It is a rough draft at best and the United-TI Staff has not had a chance to discuss it and get back to you. Again, please announce what the contest will be about tomorrow, PM me a list of moderators, and create a printable rubric in a format such as Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF and attach it for our review. We will get back to you as soon as at least two of us get to discuss it.

Quote:
I don't feel that we should waste the community's time with a petty argument. If nobody steps up to get things going, nothing would have gotten done. I know a month isn't a super generous amount of time. I will give you that. However it was enough time to get things going like at least the rules by this week. I'm sorry they felt like they couldn't handle this via a PM.

We cannot handle this all via PM because you keep posting things like this:

Quote:
The contest will officially start on March 7th whether it comes with UTI on board or not

We don't appreciate being strong-armed into a specific date and roped into a joint contest where the details are not agreed upon by all parties. I am PMing you my phone number. Please call it, so we can hopefully work some of these differences out since nobody on either side wishes any hard feelings.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Mar 2011 06:08:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Mar 2011 06:41:34 pm    Post subject:

I want everyone to know we are equals for the purpose of this project. I think we just need to work together to come up with mutually acceptable rules for this project.
Madskillz

Posted: 06 Mar 2011 10:12:44 pm    Post subject:

Misunderstanding on everyone's part. We are good to go this following week.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Mar 2011 11:22:25 pm    Post subject:

Yes, we are good to go. Thanks for helping work things out, Madskillz. I think we had a productive phone call.
Madskillz

Posted: 07 Mar 2011 05:08:59 pm    Post subject:

The joint programming competition starts today. The contest will run until June 6th. The judges will be representatives from United-TI, Revolution Software and Maxcoderz. If you would like to enter into the contest, you may create a topic in the Programming Competitions section of the United-TI forums. The rules and scoring rubric will be posted on March 11th. As well as some information regarding the prizes. If anyone has any questions you can post them here or send any one of the United-TI staff, Revolution Software staff or Maxcoderz staff a private message.

All participants in the contest must create a trading card type of game.
We would recommend holding off on programming anything until the scoring rubric/rules are posted on the 11th.

All parties want to thank all the people who voted in the contest poll.
We are all committed to making this an excellent competition with excellent prizes!

Thanks again and good luck,
-Madskillz
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement