This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Cemetech News and Announcements subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Announcements => Cemetech News and Announcements
wjbudd

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 05:18:50 pm    Post subject:

DJ Omnimaga wrote:

JBB wrote:

What's to review? The letter was perfectly clear. They either answer the questions honestly, or try to bull shit us, or they ignore us. I really don't expect the reply, if there is one, will offer any thing significant. From previous experience I would say that TI is well known for ignoring the customer. Back a few years ago when TI had a calculator site, people would routinely post questions of TI there and ti would routinely ignore them. It's important to keep in mind how they treat us when making your next calculator purchase.

From experience, they usually reply to you within 2-3 days to tell you your e-mail will be forwarded to the appropriate person, then a few days later (sometimes only one day afterward) you get a response that tries to ignore as many technical/curiosity questions as possible, so you end up having to insist so they give you the info, then after 2-3 attempts you finally get either the truth or a misleading answer from someone who has no clue what they are talking about.

Oh well, to the Nspire lack of third-party programmability support, failing to fix the 84+ bugs and the removal of the extra RAM page, maybe they'll reply with this: Razz
Quote:

Also there are chances that they won't reply with as much info just because you mentionned you planned to post the response in public. (Some people might see this as privacy invasion)

Privacy invasion? I would be very skeptical of any reply that couldn't be shared with others. That sounds evil.
Xeda112358

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 05:22:45 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

ThunderBolt wrote:

Hmm. Again, TI is not a person. They usually respond, even if the response is denial. Right now, I am leaning about 55/45 in favor of a positive response (if I was a gambling person). I am sure that something like this would need a thought out response, again, even if the response is not in our favor.

If you were a gambling person, I'd take all your money! 55/45 is about right that there will be a response, but you can bet that TI will side step the questions. You forget that they are a very secretive company who uses spin to make up for lack of product capability. Just consider the b.s. that their calculators are educational devices. A device that gives answers without explanations is educational? Yeh sure and pigs have wings and fly in the night. Actually thats not true, but I will admit that there are "calculator dependent" math teachers who have to have nspire regardless of whether it is educational or not.

I do my own studies with things that I am curious about in math and I certainly use the calc to learn things. I used it to learn how to use matrices for mathematical purposes and the like back in tenth/eleventh grade. I think somebody is just having a bad day Razz

Last edited by Guest on 27 Jan 2011 05:23:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
wjbudd

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 11:35:12 pm    Post subject:

Ok, a week has gone by and no reply from TI. Thats arrogant of TI not to provide a timely reply. Keep that in mind when you buy your next calculator and especially keep it in mind when discussing with your friends what calculator they should buy. Spending money for a second rate device with a company that rudely ignores you is stupid, unless of course you enjoy being ignored and treated rudely.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 03:33:35 am    Post subject:

No Reply. I am still waiting. I guess I can call them next week.
wjbudd

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 03:12:20 pm    Post subject:

NETWizz wrote:

Why bother. Their lack of timely action speaks volumes. You and the people you represent have just been insulted.

Keep in mind that there are teachers who don't want students to have games on their calculators and with the restrictive nspire programing TI has sided with those teachers. Now by rudely ignoring you as a representative of this site, they are again indicating that they don't want our business. Quite frankly, I think that the message that should be send back is "thats fine. Without some needed improvements, we don't want your product" because it would be mindless to buy a new product with the difficult and limited programing that nspire offers.

You are not only a customer, you also represent this site and should not have to beg for a reply from TI. Furthermore, the situation as I see it is that "if" TI's nspire and nspire cas were highly desirable and we just couldn't wait to get our hands on them, then is might be reasonable to go the extra mile for TI, but that is not the case and if anyone is going to go the extra mile, it should be TI who goes the extra mile to convince us that we should buy their product, and they can do that by replying promptly that they are going to make the programing improvments that we have asked for.

To nail things down, if TI doesn't send a meaningful reply in another two or three days then I think it is time to take a position and send a message of our own, by agreeing to boycott nspire, asking others to do likewise, and informing teachers that we don't want our tax money spent on TI's nspires.

Finally, I ask others to comment on this post so that a concenses can be achieved on how to deal with the fact that TI is rudely ignoring us.

Thank you for your efforts in our behalf.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 05:59:55 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

NETWizz wrote:

Why bother. Their lack of timely action speaks volumes. You and the people you represent have just been insulted.

Keep in mind that there are teachers who don't want students to have games on their calculators and with the restrictive nspire programing TI has sided with those teachers. Now by rudely ignoring you as a representative of this site, they are again indicating that they don't want our business. Quite frankly, I think that the message that should be send back is "thats fine. Without some needed improvements, we don't want your product" because it would be mindless to buy a new product with the difficult and limited programing that nspire offers.

You are not only a customer, you also represent this site and should not have to beg for a reply from TI. Furthermore, the situation as I see it is that "if" TI's nspire and nspire cas were highly desirable and we just couldn't wait to get our hands on them, then is might be reasonable to go the extra mile for TI, but that is not the case and if anyone is going to go the extra mile, it should be TI who goes the extra mile to convince us that we should buy their product, and they can do that by replying promptly that they are going to make the programing improvments that we have asked for.

To nail things down, if TI doesn't send a meaningful reply in another two or three days then I think it is time to take a position and send a message of our own, by agreeing to boycott nspire, asking others to do likewise, and informing teachers that we don't want our tax money spent on TI's nspires.

Finally, I ask others to comment on this post so that a concenses can be achieved on how to deal with the fact that TI is rudely ignoring us.

Maybe they are backed up; I don't know. What I never mentioned is that I worked in a department providing educational support in IT & IS for several years and in many ways I side with the teachers & feel any way we can better motivate students to "stay on task" would be a good thing though I do not think crippling an entire series of graphing calculators is the right choice. I have graduated College (more than once) and can tell you as a matter of fact the people whom I worked with both the faculty & students want the best tools they can get. It is not uncommon at all to write software (usually for a computer) to solve a complicated engineering problem or at least test a theory or generate some test data... at least this was the case in my major.

I do not want anyone to think it is a matter of "sides" in that TI does not really side with anyone though they do have to do market research to understand their niche. If their largest group of customers is high school students & staff/faculty then they are going to cater to that group. I think TI is not answering these questions because they fear we may not like the answers, so in many ways when there is nothing good to say it is best to say nothing - this is a typical company policy. What they may not realize is that we are intellectuals who want a response either way. i.e. Go ahead and tell us the bad news; we would still like to know. Please, keep in mind the people who answer the questions are not exactly mathematicians, programmers, or engineers. They are most likely low-paid desk clerks who send out form letters, so what they say is all too often meaningless because people in these positions rarely understand the issues though they are usually more than capable of finding the answers.

I don't think it is our job as a community to organize boycotts for certain products we dislike; instead, we should only put the facts out there for people to read. i.e. This is not exactly the "war on drugs" in that the Nspire is a harmless product.
wjbudd

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 09:13:22 pm    Post subject:

NETWizz wrote:

JBB wrote:

NETWizz wrote:

Maybe they are backed up; I don't know. What I never mentioned is that I worked in a department providing educational support in IT & IS for several years and in many ways I side with the teachers & feel any way we can better motivate students to "stay on task" would be a good thing though I do not think crippling an entire series of graphing calculators is the right choice. I have graduated College (more than once) and can tell you as a matter of fact the people whom I worked with both the faculty & students want the best tools they can get. It is not uncommon at all to write software (usually for a computer) to solve a complicated engineering problem or at least test a theory or generate some test data... at least this was the case in my major.

I do not want anyone to think it is a matter of "sides" in that TI does not really side with anyone though they do have to do market research to understand their niche. If their largest group of customers is high school students & staff/faculty then they are going to cater to that group. I think TI is not answering these questions because they fear we may not like the answers, so in many ways when there is nothing good to say it is best to say nothing - this is a typical company policy. What they may not realize is that we are intellectuals who want a response either way. i.e. Go ahead and tell us the bad news; we would still like to know. Please, keep in mind the people who answer the questions are not exactly mathematicians, programmers, or engineers. They are most likely low-paid desk clerks who send out form letters, so what they say is all too often meaningless because people in these positions rarely understand the issues though they are usually more than capable of finding the answers.

I don't think it is our job as a community to organize boycotts for certain products we dislike; instead, we should only put the facts out there for people to read. i.e. This is not exactly the "war on drugs" in that the Nspire is a harmless product.

You must be running a high fever. They crap on you and you make excuses for them. Don't you understand that you are being treated rudely because you are a willing to be treated rudely? Unbelieveable! TI is treating you arrogantly, in the way that they used to treat customers in the past, but this isn't the past and they no longer have the best product. We have entered the era of color screen calculators and TI is NOT leading the way. Casio is. What does that tell you? It should tell you that you are backing the wrong horse. It's time to look in the mirror and notice that you have a back bone(!), and tell TI that you no longer need them because there is a better product out there, and even if they belatedly upgrade their nspire with a color screen, and less restrictive programing, they are not going to see any of your money in the future if they are not going to treat you with respect in the present.

Oh well, take two aspirin get a good nights rest and maybe tommorrow you will see things as they really are.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 09:48:20 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

NETWizz wrote:

JBB wrote:

NETWizz wrote:

You must be running a high fever. They crap on you and you make excuses for them. Don't you understand that you are being treated rudely because you are a willing to be treated rudely? Unbelieveable! TI is treating you arrogantly, in the way that they used to treat customers in the past, but this isn't the past and they no longer have the best product. We have entered the era of color screen calculators and TI is NOT leading the way. Casio is. What does that tell you? It should tell you that you are backing the wrong horse. It's time to look in the mirror and notice that you have a back bone(!), and tell TI that you no longer need them because there is a better product out there, and even if they belatedly upgrade their nspire with a color screen, and less restrictive programing, they are not going to see any of your money in the future if they are not going to treat you with respect in the present.

Oh well, take two aspirin get a good nights rest and maybe tommorrow you will see things as they really are.

I am only telling you how it works and that it is not a matter of "sides." It is not a matter of TI treating me rudely by not answering or me being willing to be treated rudely at all; instead, it is a matter of political correctness and their bureaucratic process. Anytime you deal with larger organizations, these sorts of things happen. At the workplace for instance, people ask me questions all the time that I cannot answer (will not answer). i.e. Typical questions right now are "Am I being relocated?" and "Will I be able to keep my job?" I cannot answer in that the truth is that none of the people who ask are important enough to have been given any special consideration, but I am not going to say that. Instead, the real topics of discussion at our "closed door" meetings are things like which branches we cannot afford to keep open and how are we downsizing. We don't talk about whether or not Bob Smith will get to keep his job. If he asks me and I do not directly answer, I am not being rude. The same is true with TI.

TI does not care about me enough to treat me arrogantly or or in any other special way. They treat me exactly the same as they would treat you. I urge you to start asking TI the same questions I am asking as that is all we can do. There is no magical method to force them to divulge their plans for the Nsprie. Unlike Government, we cannot just file a request under FOIA because they are a private company.
wjbudd

Posted: 30 Jan 2011 11:51:53 am    Post subject:

We are a million miles apart in our thinking. You are willing to accept the way TI treats us and I am not. Clearly it is time to innovate and change the culture and move on to other products but since you are the only one who is contributing anything, anything at all, it's probably best to shut the site down because clearly it has outlived its usefulness.

I respect your right to your opinion. Unfortunately you don't seem to understand that the past with exciting new games for 8x calculators by TI is long gone and the future with superior new devices by more forward thinking companys has just begun. The question is, will it be an exciting future here, with people demanding modern hardware, color screens, more powerful math capability, and open programing, or a stale existance that clings the past with a company that no longer provides the kind of products that we need and want. Is it time to strike out in a new direction with bold leadership and a supportive participating community, or time to retire with fond memories of the way things used to be. I am just the new comer, the bystander wondering what if anything is going to happen and quite frankly, with the lack of leadership that I have just witnessed, I don't see any future for United-ti. Good luck.
Madskillz

Posted: 30 Jan 2011 07:12:57 pm    Post subject:

There are plenty of great games coming to the 83/84 series, so that point is mute. As for TI not developing products that we(the programming community) want they have never done that so again that argument doesnt hold any water. As for a lack of leadership, I don't see that at all. I see a community all around that has been hit hard. We as leaders from around the community have to come up with ways to bring the community back. I don't know if that is incorporating CASIO discussion, but I don't think it could hurt. The problem is that discussion isn't going to bring people either. However UTI has always been pretty open about discussing anything related to the community and many other things outside from this community.

Your one-sided thinking isn't really adding anything to help keep this site active. If you really are a teacher I feel bad for your students if this is how you handle discussion in your class. You discuss all these features that you want to see come from TI but you never explain why. I want a calc that can play music and handle video without a hitch. Do I think TI is gonna make a model that does that for me? You praise the Prizm but cant really explain why...besides that it has a color screen. How about the Prizm's intuitive menu or it's design. The things that are really gonna matter to the general public.
Ben24

Posted: 30 Jan 2011 08:00:22 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

We are a million miles apart in our thinking. You are willing to accept the way TI treats us and I am not. Clearly it is time to innovate and change the culture and move on to other products but since you are the only one who is contributing anything, anything at all, it's probably best to shut the site down because clearly it has outlived its usefulness.

I respect your right to your opinion. Unfortunately you don't seem to understand that the past with exciting new games for 8x calculators by TI is long gone and the future with superior new devices by more forward thinking companys has just begun. The question is, will it be an exciting future here, with people demanding modern hardware, color screens, more powerful math capability, and open programing, or a stale existance that clings the past with a company that no longer provides the kind of products that we need and want. Is it time to strike out in a new direction with bold leadership and a supportive participating community, or time to retire with fond memories of the way things used to be. I am just the new comer, the bystander wondering what if anything is going to happen and quite frankly, with the lack of leadership that I have just witnessed, I don't see any future for United-ti. Good luck.

I love all this drama Razz Your posts are like snippets from an epic fantasy novel or something :D

"Are we MEN? Or are we mere puppets of the SYSTEM? Let us join forces and take up arms against the cold heart of that evil corporation: Texas Instruments! For years they have trodden us into the mud. Giving us crippled calculators and ignoring our wishes! They did not respond to our email! They IGNORED our plight! Tonight, MEN, We do not fight for ourselves. We fight for our children! our families! our freedom! Tonight we liberate ourselves from the firm grasp of TI's market share! Tonight we TASTE VICTORY!"

I agree that it would be preferable if TI were to make a decent calculator for a change. However, I think that you're taking this a little too seriously. TI are free to do as they wish and can sell terrible products at ridiculous prices if that's what they want to do. If you don't like it then don't buy their calculators.

There are still plenty of good games coming out for TI's 8x calculators, so I don't know what you mean by that. I'm working on one right now.

I do, however, agree that expanding the forums to incorporate Casio calculators is a good idea. They have clearly made quite an impression on the calculator community and I know for a fact that I couldn't live without my Casio fx-85es.

- Ben
wjbudd

Posted: 30 Jan 2011 09:29:01 pm    Post subject:

Madskillz wrote:

There are plenty of great games coming to the 83/84 series, so that point is mute. As for TI not developing products that we(the programming community) want they have never done that so again that argument doesnt hold any water. As for a lack of leadership, I don't see that at all. I see a community all around that has been hit hard. We as leaders from around the community have to come up with ways to bring the community back. I don't know if that is incorporating CASIO discussion, but I don't think it could hurt. The problem is that discussion isn't going to bring people either. However UTI has always been pretty open about discussing anything related to the community and many other things outside from this community.

Your one-sided thinking isn't really adding anything to help keep this site active. If you really are a teacher I feel bad for your students if this is how you handle discussion in your class. You discuss all these features that you want to see come from TI but you never explain why. I want a calc that can play music and handle video without a hitch. Do I think TI is gonna make a model that does that for me? You praise the Prizm but cant really explain why...besides that it has a color screen. How about the Prizm's intuitive menu or it's design. The things that are really gonna matter to the general public.

I'll let the public speak for itself. Go educate yourself. Go to this site and spend some time reading and notice the refreshing enthusiasm and the huge volume of posts.
http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?topic=4758.0
Then down load the Prizm manual, read the programing chapter and notice that it contains color programing commands.
Then repeat after me. "Color is supremely important." Apparently you don't understand how important it is or why.
because we live in a world of color." people want color screens and Prizm (the nspire killer) offers color programing commands. Ti does not.
wjbudd

Posted: 30 Jan 2011 09:31:55 pm    Post subject:

Madskillz wrote:

Are you perhaps color blind?
Madskillz

Posted: 30 Jan 2011 10:57:15 pm    Post subject:

You talk about color and programming and yes for games color is going to be cool...but as I have said numerous times, which you fail to recognize, is that color is great for gaming but is it really necessary for a calculator. You know what a calculator is designed for right? I'll give you a hint its for math. Playing games on it is an added bonus. The majority of users probably could care less about color.

Quote:
"Color is supremely important." Apparently you don't understand how important it is or why.

-Apparently I am missing why it is so important...perhaps you in your infinite wisdom can explain it. I seem to remember the original Gameboy selling well over 60 million units and dominating the handheld market...even when superior colored handhelds were available.

I'm not some little kid, but a highly educated individual. You can speak to me like an adult. Why don't you bring some actual facts about the prizm and your experiences with it, before spewing your bullshit and talking down to the leadership. Or do you not actually own one, but just like to talk about how good it looks and seems to be? We have been in this community far longer than you and have always welcomed healthy discussion. However you're not arguing your point, you just keep talking about color.

Knock off the double posting too please.

Edit: I am a member of Omnimaga, and I do enjoy their discussion over there. I like how they are actually working on programming for the CASIO and really are trying to show the positives about it. Something you have yet to do. Oh except for that it's got color!

Last edited by Guest on 30 Jan 2011 11:00:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 12:12:48 am    Post subject:

I bet if he signed up on Omni he would ask us every week to shut down all TI-related sections, even the TI-83/84 Plus ones that gets 90% of the entire calculator programming discussion. Razz (That Prizm forum he linked to doesn't even get 10% of the entire board activity. Casio BASIC is so incredibly slow compared to TI-BASIC. Colors is all the Prizm has over the TI-83 Plus.)

Oh well we can always install a forum hack that disallows more than one consecutive posts by the same person. :P

On an off-topic note Madskillz, you should fix your avatar. Razz

Last edited by Guest on 31 Jan 2011 12:15:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Madskillz

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 12:33:51 am    Post subject:

Thanks DJ...I forgot my old one linked to our old forum. Razz
Xeda112358

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 12:54:01 am    Post subject:

Thank you Ben! You make an excellent point! If you don't like the way TI is doing business you aren't obligated to participate in the transaction.
Also, to quote a few important things that I think all members of UTI read (or are supposed to have read):
Quote:
You must be respectful to everyone, and you must not disrespect anyone. You may disagree with someone, but you must still stay respectful of their point of view.

Quote:
You must not double post (i.e., make two posts that are back-to-back) or multi-post without considerable time between your posts, unless you have a very good reason. In this case, you may find that editing your post a better solution.

I found these to be a little on the disrespectful side:

Quote:
I'll let the public speak for itself. Go educate yourself. Go to this site and spend some time reading and notice the refreshing enthusiasm and the huge volume of posts.

Quote:

Quote:
You must be running a high fever. They crap on you and you make excuses for them. Don't you understand that you are being treated rudely because you are a willing to be treated rudely? Unbelieveable!

It really is not necessary to treat people this way. On that note, I am sorry for acting this way, I just felt that I needed to call you out on a few things before it got too out of hand. And I noticed you said something in another post about "Oh, I didn't plan to destroy those posts" or something along those lines. With that in mind, you can check out this link for some rules on forum etiquette. Thanks ♥
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 01:19:18 am    Post subject:

Well you are moderator (admin?) so I guess you have to enforce the rules. I personally have to agree with you ThunderBolt, too.

One thing I would like to point out by the way about the Prizm and TI-Nspire:

TI-Nspire
90 MHz processor (150 max)
320x240 screen
15 level grayscale screen
~16384 KB of user RAM
~16384 KB of user archive

Prizm
29 MHz processor (the max is between 58 and 116, from what I heard)
384x216 screen (lower height but larger width)
8 colors in BASIC, 65536 in images and possibly ASM/C, once it's hacked (if it's possible at all), but for now, all we have is 8 colors.
~61 KB of user RAM
~16384 KB of user archive

When the Prizm is hacked, we'll be able to do great things on it, but I kinda worry about things such as emulation, because if no one succeed in changing the clock speed, having to refresh 82944 pixels every frame is probably gonna be hard on the processor.

Last edited by Guest on 31 Jan 2011 01:23:53 am; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Feb 2011 12:52:14 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

ThunderBolt wrote:

Hmm. Again, TI is not a person. They usually respond, even if the response is denial. Right now, I am leaning about 55/45 in favor of a positive response (if I was a gambling person). I am sure that something like this would need a thought out response, again, even if the response is not in our favor.

If you were a gambling person, I'd take all your money! 55/45 is about right that there will be a response, but you can bet that TI will side step the questions. You forget that they are a very secretive company who uses spin to make up for lack of product capability. Just consider the b.s. that their calculators are educational devices. A device that gives answers without explanations is educational? Yeh sure and pigs have wings and fly in the night. Actually thats not true, but I will admit that there are "calculator dependent" math teachers who have to have nspire regardless of whether it is educational or not.

What are you talking about? There has not been a response; I am going to probably have to call their 1-800 number and see if I can get some follow-up. Honestly, most companies are "very secretive," so there is nothing wrong with that. As for calculators they are clearly educational devices, scientific devices, engineering devices, and computational devices... sure they can give simple answers without explanation, but the student must still understand the math to a certain extent to operate a calculator (at least with the higher-level functions). Even then seeing the input & output of the device is a learning experience. As for calculator-dependent math teachers, I doubt there are very many that are truly dependent. Most teachers can not only do the work they assign, but they can teach it. What many do is use the calculator as a teaching tool through such programs as Enhancing Education Through Technology (EETT). Regardless, rest-assured any professional educator who uses a calculator is going to work it into his or her lesson plans, and don't be surprised if it is part of your State's Standards & Objectives for "Required Learning."

Unless you are a teacher or have at least worked in the educational venue, you have no idea what teachers really do; trust me. It is a lot of work most of which goes on behind-the-scenes... and "YES" there are a few bad apples that work as educators but they are the exception not the norm.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement