This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
wjbudd

Posted: 25 Dec 2010 09:31:01 pm    Post subject:

The more I learn about ti-nspire and nspire cas, the less I like TI. Because ______________________________________________________.(you fill in the blank.)
wjbudd

Posted: 26 Dec 2010 04:17:52 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

The more I learn about ti-nspire and nspire cas, the less I like TI. Because ______________________________________________________.(you fill in the blank.)

For starters that cheap az screen is very difficult to read in normal lighting. Then there is that not so cheap price. And of course the programming is nearly impossible to learn if you are not a professional programmer, and of course all the missing math capability that calculators like the HP50g and Classpad have had for about 20years. TI's latest creations (nspire and nspire cas) are a real american piece of cr.p and I know an american piece of cr.p when I see one because I am an american and get ripped off all the time by evil greedy companies like TI.
wjbudd

Posted: 27 Dec 2010 04:00:02 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

Then there is the matter of trig identities. For some trig identities like sin(x)^2+cos(x)^2=1 TI cas calculators, such as the ti-89, voyage200 and Nspire cas return "true" which it is. But with other identities like sin(2x)=2sin(x)cos(x)their calclulator returns what was entered, not indicating if it is true or not, which it is. What in the world is wrong with those morons at TI? Worse yet, what is wrong with the high school teachers that purchase ti calculators to use to teach math, and they do it with my tax money? Oh, I got it. Since they don't know enough math to teach it without the crutch of using a calculator, they are morons also! When is someone going to fire those jerks?????
wjbudd

Posted: 24 Jan 2011 08:53:07 pm    Post subject:

When you call 1-800-ti-cares, if you indicate that you are a teacher your call gets immediate attention. What number do you enter if you are a programer?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 24 Jan 2011 09:45:43 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

When you call 1-800-ti-cares, if you indicate that you are a teacher your call gets immediate attention. What number do you enter if you are a programer?

How about 0? Just kidding... there is nothing to press as a programmer.

Oh, by the way, we do not have a bad word filter, so there is not need to put the "." in between explicit comments though we still have to keep this a family oriented forum.
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 12:21:53 am    Post subject:

On other forums and IRC, people says "TI-DOESN'T-CARE" instead of "TI-CARES".

So far when people have e-mailed them to get informations about things such as the TI-84+ USB protocols, reporting bugs in the TI-OSes and the like, TI would either not listen or have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. There are a few people who managed to get decent answers, though, about certain things, such as that person who asked them 4 times why the Nspire was so limited in terms of programmability. The person got told that because MirageOS and such software risked putting calculators into unstable states, they decided to make sure the TI-Nspire have no way to crash.

That said, I heard that it's still possible to crash one without any ASM help, anyway. As for TI-OS bugs, finally it was the TI community that fixed them by releasing patches. :P

Casio calculators are crippled with OS bugs, too. Even the Prizm had a huge one with its Output() equivalent. However, it was quickly fixed in OS 1.02, although OS 1.02 has yet to be released on their site. Casio BASIC is several times slower than TI-BASIC too, but it offers much more freedom than the TI-Nspire for games.

TI should have spent less time sending DMCA notices to people who share the RSA keys and OS 1.1 and spent it into trying to fix TI-84+ bugs.

Anyway, programming/stability-wise, I would say that the pro/cons for both companies are:

TI Pros:
-Faster BASIC language
-Larger userbase for the TI-83 Plus series
-Less bugs
TI Cons:
-Less open to third-party programming
-Doesn't bother fixing bugs, even bad ones that can cause calc lock-ups
-Their newest calc's BASIC is so limited that even my Illusiat TI-81 remake would probably not be possible on it or would look horrible.
-Overpriced calcs

Casio Pros:
-Possibly more open to third-party programming (the ClassPad had no programming capabilities, then after many community requests, they released a SDK)
-Possibly trying a bit harder at fixing bugs (the first Prizm bugs being fixed less than a month after launch)
-Has color screen calcs
-Lower prices
-Their newest calc, the Prizm, offers much more BASIC freedom than the TI-Nspire
Casio Cons:
-Horribly slow BASIC language, especially on the ALgebra FX and Casio Prizm series. The AFX is 20 times slower than TI-83+ BASIC and the Prizm ranges from 2 times faster to 100 times slower, even though it has a 58 MHz processor. Text, Line, Pxl-On and most other graphing commands takes 0.3 seconds to execute. The Output() equivalent is not too bad, but it could be better considering the processor is almost 10 times faster. Math seems fast, though.

Basically, Casio released us a so-so calculator, but the fact it offers better programming capabilities than the TI-Nspire pretty much eclipses Casio Prizm BASIC slow speed.

EDIT: Video of a snake game by z80man attached below.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Jan 2011 12:40:44 am; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 02:22:53 am    Post subject:

That is nice though I must say that basic rendering of the Snake is quite slow. I really like the color screen. I actually sent TI a letter; I will post it tomorrow.
Galandros

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 06:49:23 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

In resume, TI doesn't do a good work calculator and community wise. TI simply sucks more each time I know more about it.

I admit CASIO has better polished OS, better calculators (hardware wise) and seems friendlier towards 3rd party software. Even though I prefer my TI-84 because I can find lots of incredible community work.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Jan 2011 06:52:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
wjbudd

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 07:54:49 pm    Post subject:

"TI simply sucks more each time I know more about it." Did you know that if you order the new tinspire cx, the plastic cover which is just a cheap piece of plastic has to be ordered separately and TI charges $5(!) for that item.
Xeda112358

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 08:34:18 pm    Post subject:

Yes. Razz What's more is that we've known quite a few things about it and a sliding case is seen as a hindrance to many people Very Happy Of course, it could be helpful... The thing is, if they sold it with the case, they probably would have raised the price 5 dollars, anyway. What's the point of wasting material for every calc that not all users are going to want? It saves them a little money to not include it. But yeah, there are points to both sides :/

[offtopic]
By the way, I've just had coffee for the first time this year, so if I don't make sense, sorry! Coffee makes me really hyper and difficult to understand!
[/offtopic]
Odo007

Posted: 27 Aug 2011 11:02:06 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

When I bought my TI-nSpire (NON CAS) I wanted to smash it against the wall, the day I got it!

I was very upset to find out that my machine, does not have CAS, I didn't know that I had to look out for that! My bad!
The whole purpose of me buying a calculator was to revisit Symbolic Calculus... Aarrrrgghhh!!! I did it without it!

Then I tried to see if there are any good points of this calculator. Well, later about those...

First I shall start with the things I dislike about this calculator.

1) The screen has a horrible contrast and NO back-light. I guess it would have drained the batteries so much that after 1 day's worth of poking around you would have had to change them, so I guess that the back-light is missing is a good thing! But still I did played with the idea of fitting some LEDs to fix this, but its quite impossible.

2) The "ABCD..." keyboard is awful, the keys are too stiff and NOT QWERTY! From what I understand this is TI's way of saying: "This device here is NOT a computer, ahm..., since... it does not have a QWERTY keyboard, HENCE you can use it for SAT!"... WHICH IS STUPID TO SAY!

3) It is pretty slow for a 120-150Mhz ARM processor!

4) The non-CAS version cannot do basic conversions (like hex to dec!). Although the manual says that it can, and you don't need a CAS to do it, but they just don't work! (or maybe I couldn't make them work, in that case I am a dunce, but correct me if I'm wrong!) So this would be a bug, but I just cannot be bothered to complain to TI about it since the whole device is quite bad!

5) Stability of the OS is quite bad! Did you know that if you hit CTRL-C(Copy) or CTRL-X(Cut) on huge file (let's say a 4Mb file) in the directory listing, you will crash the OS! Straight away! No questions asked!
I just find out this yesterday! And it does it even if you select the Copy/Cut actions from the menu! BAAAAD DESIGN! BAD! Even if my version of the OS is ancient (I'm using version 2.1.0.631), it is still a big blunder!
I mean, the surely must have considered the possibility of people moving files around their folders didn't they? Apparently NOT!
So, this is A SERIOUS BUG!

6) General usability is low, some things are not thoughtfully laid out, also the touchpad is quite useless. And have you seen the garbage you get sometime when you move the cursor around? ...a hint again to... sloppy programming!

7) If you haven't used it for 4 days or so, it takes "ages" to start up! Why? because its a full blown computer, which goes in stand-by mode. The OFF label on the key, is just a blatant lie!

HOWEVER, despite all of this I have developed a love & hate relationship to my nspire.

The arrival of Ndless 2.0 helped me to like it, since the barriers imposed by TI are crumbling away now...

Ah, and what are the good things of nSpire:
1) Massive function set in your [s]pocket[/s]bag, comparable maybe to huge programming packages as MATCAD and MATHEMATICA.
2) Pretty print, on the large display (if you can manage to get good light conditions)
3) The clipboard is nice
4) It has massive potential! If it wouldn't have been for Ndless, I would have probably gave it away by now!

To conclude,
TI is doing what any big-old-outdated company is doing, is trying to make more and more money by working less and less!

Cheers!
Odo
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement