This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
kittylover

Posted: 02 Sep 2010 04:27:06 pm    Post subject:

So far, after a quick look of the USB8x documentation, something I noticed is that everything seemed to be about acting as a USB host. Is there a library that could be used to act as a USB peripheral instead? Certainly the hardware supports such a mode, otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect it to a computer.

I'd like to be able to make a program that could use the calculator with a computer as if it were an HID device. The TI-84+ seems like the easiest way for me to essentially get a USB interface with a microcontroller attached, since I'm not a hardware girl.

I did TI-82 assembly language back when that device was popular, so Z80 is something I can remember quickly.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Sep 2010 09:43:13 pm    Post subject:

You're right that USB8x only deals with host mode. I haven't done much with peripheral mode, and I'm not sure if anybody else has. But hardware-wise, it seems that peripheral mode is fairly similar to host mode: the initialization code is almost identical, and the interrupts, endpoint configuration, data ports, and so forth work the same way. (There are different values that you need to use for ports 91 and 94, but I don't really understand those ports anyway.)

(It would be great to get some better documentation of how all this stuff works. I should go write some.)

Protocol-wise, of course, acting as a peripheral is very different from acting as a host, since the role of a peripheral is mostly to sit around waiting for the host to issue commands.

(On a side note: I've been hearing that it's possible to "jailbreak" a Playstation 3 using a special USB dongle. Somebody really ought to make a TI-84+ app that does that. I don't own a PS3, I just think that would be awesome. Razz)
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 05 Sep 2010 01:23:07 pm    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:

(On a side note: I've been hearing that it's possible to "jailbreak" a Playstation 3 using a special USB dongle. Somebody really ought to make a TI-84+ app that does that. I don't own a PS3, I just think that would be awesome. Razz)

You're in luck, BrandonW is currently working on it Very Happy
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Sep 2010 06:35:59 pm    Post subject:

Haha, I should have figured as much. Smile
DrDnar

Posted: 06 Sep 2010 11:00:06 pm    Post subject:

Several months ago, Brandon had been working on making an application that allows the TI-84+(SE) to pretend to be a keyboard. He managed to get a working demo, but he suspended the project indefinitely because it had some bugs, presumably timing issues. Before you begin trying to code a new USB anything, you're going to need know a lot about the USB specification. TI has refused to release any new documentation since well before the TI+84+ series was released. There is no official documentation on the TI-84+'s USB interface, so getting anything done is a bit of a miracle. If you haven't, look at what's in WikiTI.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 04:03:17 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:

FloppusMaximus wrote:

You're in luck, BrandonW is currently working on it Very Happy

And now it's done! I didn't see this thread until just now.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement