This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
ut1238

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 01:15:03 pm    Post subject:

Hi, guys. I need help. I have a TI-Nspire CAS+, the prototype that I have been trying to turn it on. But no matter what I do, it still doesn't turn on. I tried to increase the contrast which didn't help. My batteries are fresh so I know it's not batteries. Can someone please help me get this thing turn on. I really need help. Thank you so much guys.
bwang

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 06:31:48 pm    Post subject:

Where did you obtain this calculator? CAS+'s are not upgradeable and were never meant for consumer use.
Has anything bad happened to it recently (dropped, soaked, thrown, etc)?
ut1238

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 07:04:13 pm    Post subject:

bwang wrote:

Where did you obtain this calculator? CAS+'s are not upgradeable and were never meant for consumer use.
Has anything bad happened to it recently (dropped, soaked, thrown, etc)?

I bought it on ebay. It was consider to be junk rather than a pricey item since I bought it for a really, really good price( I mean really good price). I asked the seller about the history of the item and all that. He said it wasn't soaked in water, thrown, or anything like that. It just stop functioning(turn on). It sucks. Please help. There's no way it just stop functioning, right? Could it be that it is in a deep sleep since he said that it has been left in the garage for one year already.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Aug 2010 07:09:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
bwang

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 07:20:55 pm    Post subject:

Well, it could be some hardware defect, moisture in the case, overheating in the summer, etc. Stuff happens.
How much did it cost you? I'm curious.
ut1238

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 07:27:53 pm    Post subject:

bwang wrote:

Well, it could be some hardware defect, moisture in the case, overheating in the summer, etc. Stuff happens.
How much did it cost you? I'm curious.

Let's just say it cost less than Mcdonald's Family Value meal. I don't think it's the moisture or the heat because he said that he was very careful with where he put it if there's "extreme condition." Do you think there's something that can be done to make it turn on? Deep sleep could take a while to start up right? Maybe he pushed the on button but didn't wait long enough for the device to turn it on. He might have taken the batteries out immediately.
Also, we gotta remember how stubborn the TI-CAS+ cling to batteries charges. The thing was on when two batteries were removed when one of the members demonstrated that in one of their posts. So, that could imply that it takes longer time for the device to recognize and cling onto the batteries charge, right?

Last edited by Guest on 16 Aug 2010 07:36:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lego

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 17 Aug 2010 06:26:31 am    Post subject:

Maybe there is some type of rust inside, maybe the keypad?
Have you opened it to take a look?
ut1238

Posted: 17 Aug 2010 12:07:48 pm    Post subject:

Lego wrote:

Maybe there is some type of rust inside, maybe the keypad?
Have you opened it to take a look?

I can't open it since I don't have the special screwdriver to unscrew the device. Can I ask does anyone have the TI-Nspire Link software 1.0.59? This is the only version that I heard would connect the device to the computer. I want to try that to see if it will making the device turn on. It doesn't have to be the full version, trial is fine.
ut1238

Posted: 17 Aug 2010 01:40:30 pm    Post subject:

I do believe that the TI-CAS+ contains more advance hardware than the current TI-Nspire CAS(non-CAS). I have seen the LCD screen of the CAS+ prototype to be better on other web sites. For instance, when you increase the contrast on the CAS+ type, the text only gets darker, not the entire screen. That tells us that the LCD screen and the graphic drivers are more advance than the current TI-Nspires version. That tells us that the graphic on this device is much much better. I contacted TI and they told me that since it's not working, there's no use it anymore. They want me to sent it back to them and they are going to replace with the CAS for me at discounted price. I told them I would think about it. I'm just curious why TI-Nspire wants the TI-CAS+ back. Could it be that the hardware on the CAS+ is much more capable than the usual TI-Nspire which will allows better graphic and a better code execution if tweak properly?
Remember, only 1000 of these CAS+ were produced. So, it is reasonable to say that when they first designed them they tend to put in more advance hardware in order for people to test them. That's my reasoning. What do you guys think?
Goplat

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 17 Aug 2010 05:59:48 pm    Post subject:

ut1238 wrote:

I can't open it since I don't have the special screwdriver to unscrew the device. Can I ask does anyone have the TI-Nspire Link software 1.0.59? This is the only version that I heard would connect the device to the computer. I want to try that to see if it will making the device turn on. It doesn't have to be the full version, trial is fine.

http://ti.bank.free.fr/index.php?mod=archives&ac=voir&id=1439
jhgenius01

Posted: 22 Aug 2010 06:04:04 pm    Post subject:

for your information the TI-nspire CAS+ is a...lets say prototype version before the release of the current versions CAS and non-CAS. TI released a limited number (you said 1000) of these. These had nice hardware capabilities but they wereen't meant to be upgradeable. Sad However it is a rare calculator and im surprised that you got it for such a low price. My opinion, and it's just my opinion, is not to give it back to TI. If you like collecting it could be a collector item. HOwever i still recommend you get the CAS or non-CAS calc if you want to do more with an TI-nspire

Also it might have a power management bug like my NON-CAS does when i downgraded to v1.1 OS. Try removing one battery COMPLETELY out for at least 5 seconds, then put it back in. Hope this helps....

Last edited by Guest on 22 Aug 2010 06:06:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement