This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jul 2010 04:41:02 pm    Post subject:

A funny message I found on Yahoo Answers...
Quote:
My computer has recently started making these weird cough-like noises randomly. At first, I thought it might have something to do with AIM instant messaging, but it's not AIM. Please help? is this some malicious virus?

Additional Details:
it's NOT a mechanical sound, like it's definitely not something stuck in it. It sounds like a person coughing, like I have some sort of weird malware, but I ran my anti-malware and antivirus and nothing came up.

Recently, one my co-workers had a virus that played random chit-chat about auto maintenance. The adware was fairly innocuous, but the stuff I got wasn't quite so quirky and entertaining.

Last month, I had a fake anti-virus (it think it called itself "AV Anti Virus" or "AV 2010") download itself right onto my taskbar and block pretty much every .exe from running. It look maybe a good 2 to 3 days for removal, scanning, and re-scanning to make sure it was really dead. I gotta wonder if having an anti-virus on bootable medium like a USB would make life easier. I tried a couple before, but they were very slow at scanning NTFS drives (8-16 hours to scan 250GB). Any suggestions?
Galandros

Posted: 12 Jul 2010 01:55:09 pm    Post subject:

Never tested but maybe it is worth to try the Avira AntiVir Rescue System:
http://www.free-av.com/en/products/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

What Live CDs have you used?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 11:23:56 pm    Post subject:

The last one I tried was Kapersky. It booted up just fine, but left on overnight it would only get through a small portion the drive. I don't know if maybe I didn't configure something correctly or if that's just the normal speed (maybe bootable USB would be faster).
Galandros

Posted: 24 Jul 2010 03:29:22 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:

The last one I tried was Kapersky. It booted up just fine, but left on overnight it would only get through a small portion the drive. I don't know if maybe I didn't configure something correctly or if that's just the normal speed (maybe bootable USB would be faster).

It should not be so slow. The only time I ever had such slow readings on a computer was when I booted in Windows XP in recovery mode and the partition had some errors on the filesystem. After checking and correcting the filesystem and booting in normal mode was back to normal I think. But it was a relatively old computer.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Dec 2010 08:40:11 pm    Post subject:

Okay, revisiting this topic here. I'll be visiting my family for Christmas as well as a bunch of malware that's taken residence in their computer. Any new Live Anti-virus CD/USBs?
Galandros

Posted: 18 Dec 2010 03:42:00 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:

Okay, revisiting this topic here. I'll be visiting my family for Christmas as well as a bunch of malware that's taken residence in their computer. Any new Live Anti-virus CD/USBs?

No. But I haven't been searching for it.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Dec 2010 01:58:57 pm    Post subject:

I think I'll try Kapersky again. In it's defense, the last version I used was a live CD, which is always much slower than a live USB. If I can make a live USB through Unetbootin or something similar, that should do the trick. I still have Ubuntu 10.04 persistently installed on a different USB drive. That's come in handy before.
Galandros

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 12:23:29 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:

I think I'll try Kapersky again. In it's defense, the last version I used was a live CD, which is always much slower than a live USB. If I can make a live USB through Unetbootin or something similar, that should do the trick. I still have Ubuntu 10.04 persistently installed on a different USB drive. That's come in handy before.

I found this:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14434/scan-a-windows-pc-for-viruses-from-a-ubuntu-live-cd/
Using avast from a ubuntu live cd sounds great.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement