This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jul 2010 02:45:30 pm    Post subject:

Well it's a couple months after the fact and the fact's aren't exactly in yet, but I wanted to get everybody's opinions of the whole BP spill.

Just to recap in case anyone's been camping or on Mars all summer Very Happy : the oil spill ("The Macondo Blowout") happened April 20th about 40 miles off the coast of Louisiana. The rig was tapping the well roughly 1 mile below the surface when a burst of methane breached the drilling equipment and exploded--killing 11 and sinking the entire platform. The situation has gone from bad to worse as the uncapped well continues to gush an estimated 100,000 barrels per day in oil and other various chemicals. The spill response has been heavily criticized as numerous attempts to siphon directly off the leaking well have failed. And as the oil slick makes landfall, fishing and tourism takes a major hit, and even the cleanup agencies report workers are becoming ill.

The incident seems to have gone from tragedy to complete farce as corporations, Washington, news organizations, whistle-blowers, and general public try to exchange blame as publicly as possible. There's no shortage of Monday-morning quarterbacking in the US, where the public blames BP executives. And although Americans haven't exactly burned BP CEO Tony Hayward in effigy yet, there are already some anti-British undertones. Plus, on more than one occasion, I've run into people suggesting the disaster was planned by BP itself. I don't know what that's based on, but it's what people are saying.

Anyway, the part that grinds my gears is the overall response of government, media, and general public. The spill is HERE, and already in motion. Yet, rather do constructive things like talk about creating containment measures, preventative technologies, or cleanup volunteerism -- all the buzz is about Tony Hayward and his yachting habits. Why is everyone fixated on the CEO? Does anyone actually believe the whole thing was planned by BP?

Interesting Article:
* Deepwater Horizon: A Firsthand Account

Last edited by Guest on 06 Jul 2010 09:33:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bhaliar

Posted: 06 Jul 2010 02:13:23 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:

Well it's a couple months after the fact and the fact's aren't exactly in yet, but I wanted to get everybody's opinions of the whole BP spill.

Just to recap in case anyone's been camping or on Mars all summer Very Happy : the oil spill ("The Macondo Blowout") happened April 20th about 40 miles off the coast of Louisiana. The rig was tapping the well roughly 1 mile below the surface when a burst of methane breached the drilling equipment and exploded--killing 11 and sinking the entire platform. The situation has gone from bad to worse the uncapped well continuous to gush an estimated 100,000 barrels per day in oil and other various chemicals. The spill response has been heavily criticized as numerous attempts to siphon directly off the leaking well have failed. And as the oil slick makes landfall, fishing and tourism takes a major hit, and even the cleanup agencies report workers are becoming ill.

The incident seems to have gone from tragedy to complete farce as corporations, Washington, news organizations, whistle-blowers, and general public try to exchange blame as publicly as possible. There's no shortage of Monday-morning quarterbacking in the US, where the public blames BP executives. And although Americans haven't exactly burned BP CEO Tony Hayward in effigy yet, there are already some anti-British undertones. Plus, on more than one occasion, I've run into people suggesting the disaster was planned by BP itself. I don't know what that's based on, but it's what people are saying.

Anyway, the part that grinds my gears is the overall response of government, media, and general public. The spill is HERE, and already in motion. Yet, rather do constructive things like talk about creating containment measures, preventative technologies, or cleanup volunteerism -- all the buzz is about Tony Hayward and his yachting habits. Why is everyone fixated on the CEO? Does anyone actually believe the whole thing was planned by BP?

Interesting Article:
* Deepwater Horizon: A Firsthand Account

This is WAR! We are under attack from a dangerous threat! We shall defeat this enemy with strength and fortitude. We shall be the victors of this battle. To be sure, I have created a Long....Term....Plan.....To..Er...Help win the war against oil. And I also will make an administration. Yes, that will win this Third World War! (Criticizing Obama's Speech.)

As you said, most people are quick to point the finger and go, Oh theres an agency doing this, and w made this restoration plan, and this administration will do this, and BP will pay, but it still is to be shown what they are doing. it is all talk and not a lot of "Our scientist have done this to make the oil magically float out of the water." Now I know that won't happen, but we need them to actually try to contain the oil, or something. Not develop a plan to deal with the long term, or the short term. We can't look at a specifity and use that to fix it all. Let's make BP pay billions of dollars. That will help the wildlife and enviroment, that will help subsequentelly failing business', that will cure people, that will contain and get rid of the oil. They are just talking, trying to tell us "what we want to hear." Well here's anews flash, we want to hear success.

Anywho.... I fell much happier now! XD
calcdude84se

Posted: 06 Jul 2010 02:28:23 pm    Post subject:

Bhaliar wrote:

This is WAR! We are under attack from a dangerous threat! We shall defeat this enemy with strength and fortitude. We shall be the victors of this battle. To be sure, I have created a Long....Term....Plan.....To..Er...Help win the war against oil. And I also will make an administration. Yes, that will win this Third World War! (Criticizing Obama's Speech.)

We have a rants section, and I do believe someone has created an entry for Obama. Smile
Digitan, nice for you to post about this. And mentioning the conspiracy theories arising. Razz
Bhaliar

Posted: 06 Jul 2010 11:24:21 pm    Post subject:

calcdude84se wrote:

Bhaliar wrote:

We have a rants section, and I do believe someone has created an entry for Obama. Smile
Digitan, nice for you to post about this. And mentioning the conspiracy theories arising. Razz

It's not Obama Bin Laden in general. (Jk) It was just the way he is handling the press conferences and all.
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 07 Jul 2010 05:05:09 pm    Post subject:

The oil spill is a sadface moment for the environment.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 09:56:00 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. Plus, I've only been to Galvaston a few times, but the waterways in that region are already pretty trashed with tarballs to begin with. It's almost funny because tarballs washed up Texas last week...then they analyzed it, it didn't even match what's been spewing from the Macanodo site.

Anyway, the whole thing just seems like one giant blamestorming session. But what I thought especially ridiculous was the whole conspiracy theory. I mean, yeah I'm sure there's some shady dealing going on within BP and especially parts the U.S. government. And I can understand why that eyewitness went out of his way to squash the terrorism rumors. But blowing up their own rig? C'mon!
qwerty20

Posted: 09 Aug 2010 09:39:08 pm    Post subject:

I think you mean the oil spill
caused by the BE company.
The American president, Obama
has adopted some measures to treat this problem.
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 12 Aug 2010 01:52:26 pm    Post subject:

What's even worse than the oil spill is the fact that this forum is DEAD.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Aug 2010 11:19:18 pm    Post subject:

Meh. The president's plans stink. The oil permit moratorium was exactly the type of knee-jerk reaction I'd expect to see from authorities with no comprehension of how to assist. Obama's known for being the loose cannon in that department, but this moratorium should be a let-down even for environmentalists. The ban isn't about creating any new safety protocols, new tools, or better-trained personnel. It's just putting the industry in limbo.

Look at it this way... After the 6th month rolls around, what then? Is anything safer than today? Maybe. Maybe not. It would be one thing if it involved identifying the industry's best and worst practices, but it doesn't. I'll wager a lot will be too busy recouping the cost of this ban to do anything special about safety. And if you were running a safe operation and still got shut down by Obama anyway, you're really not gonna put in the extra effort after all this. Who would waste the time?

Last edited by Guest on 12 Aug 2010 11:24:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Aug 2010 02:26:17 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:

Meh. The president's plans stink. The oil permit moratorium was exactly the type of knee-jerk reaction I'd expect to see from authorities with no comprehension of how to assist. Obama's known for being the loose cannon in that department, but this moratorium should be a let-down even for environmentalists. The ban isn't about creating any new safety protocols, new tools, or better-trained personnel. It's just putting the industry in limbo.

Look at it this way... After the 6th month rolls around, what then? Is anything safer than today? Maybe. Maybe not. It would be one thing if it involved identifying the industry's best and worst practices, but it doesn't. I'll wager a lot will be too busy recouping the cost of this ban to do anything special about safety. And if you were running a safe operation and still got shut down by Obama anyway, you're really not gonna put in the extra effort after all this. Who would waste the time?

Unfortunately lobbistest, special interest groups, unions, etc have ruined everything and nothing is really honest anymore. We need a president who is middle of the road not to far left or right and whos not working for Washington, but working for America. Obama was never the answer in my opinion and I don't know if McCain could have done any better but one thing is for sure is that this country needs to get back on track because we have definately lost ourselves over the years.

And no, I don't think BP gave an ounce of crap about all this. Will any new safety measures be implemented? Who knows? They were there to begin with (somewhat) but ingnored, so what's to say new rules would solve anything. You need to change the people running the operation not the rules that govern them.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement