This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
Mr. Snrub

Posted: 22 Jun 2010 11:25:26 pm    Post subject:

Hello there! You guys seem to know a lot about calculators, so I was wondering if any of you could recommend one for me. I'm using a TI BAII Plus financial calculator, and while it does have valuable financial calculations that I use quite a bit, like easily calculating Present Value from Interest, Payment, Number of Periods, and Future Value, I absolutely HATE how you can so easily make a typo, and there's no way to look back at your inputs to see if the answer is genuine or the result of a typo.

See, I'm so used to using my wonderful, beautiful TI-89 where it's easily apparent when you've made a typo (since you can see the expression that you've input, even after the answer is given). For example, I could be evaluating a big expression in my TI-89 and I could get an answer and it couldn't look quite right, but then I could easily see from the screen that I put an exponent inside a closing parenthesis. You couldn't do this with a BAII Plus. On the other hand, unfortunately the TI-89 does not have any of the complex financial functions I need for my finance class. Where can I get a calculator that shares the best of both worlds?
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 03:11:30 am    Post subject:

I suppose you've already encountered this and did not find it suitable? If the functionality you want/need isn't there, you could always write your own program. ;)

thornahawk

P.S. Don't let the label in the link fool you, it should still work on a plain Jane TI-89.
Mr. Snrub

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 08:41:42 am    Post subject:

OMG that is a PERFECT solution! You rock!! But I don't have a TI connectivity cable! So I need a "Silver USB Cable for Windows® /Mac®." I must say I absolutely LOVE the fact that you can enter in your ZIP code and BAM! right there it tells you exactly where you can buy one in your hometown so you don't have to wait for Amazon to ship it.
Mr. Snrub

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 02:16:07 pm    Post subject:

OK, so neither the Wal-Mart, the Best Buy, or the OficeMax near me sell the connectivity cable by itself. However, if I buy a brand new TI-89 Titanium for $150, that includes a USB cable in the packaging. Will that work?
calcdude84se

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 03:41:33 pm    Post subject:

That USB cable only works for calcs w/a USB port, and the normal 89 is not one of them. If you can't find a silverlink cable near you, you'll need to buy one online. Sorry Sad
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement