This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
vic9317

Posted: 29 Apr 2010 05:27:06 pm    Post subject:

So I was programming something on my calculator, with TI-OS v2.53MP, and noticed that when the ►Frac token is used on a complex number, Err:Data Type is thrown. I no longer have v2.43 on my calc, but had an emulator with that OS on it and calculating .25►Frac gave me the correct 1/4i. Anyone know why TI decided to reduce the token's ability to convert complex decimals into fractions? Seems like a reduction in features =S. My calculator is set to Classic mode, by the way.

Also, is (TI|BD) going to update soon with some of the 2.53MP commands?

Thanks!
meishe91

Posted: 01 May 2010 12:23:16 am    Post subject:

vic9317 wrote:

So I was programming something on my calculator, with TI-OS v2.53MP, and noticed that when the ►Frac token is used on a complex number, Err:Data Type is thrown. I no longer have v2.43 on my calc, but had an emulator with that OS on it and calculating .25►Frac gave me the correct 1/4i. Anyone know why TI decided to reduce the token's ability to convert complex decimals into fractions? Seems like a reduction in features =S. My calculator is set to Classic mode, by the way.

Thanks!

I'm not sure, but my guess would have to do with how it now can do a fraction graphic type thing (I think?). I don't use that OS but that's just my guess because that OS has also screwed with other people's things.
Bhaliar

Posted: 01 May 2010 12:59:29 pm    Post subject:

Meishe91 wrote:

vic9317 wrote:

Thanks!

I'm not sure, but my guess would have to do with how it now can do a fraction graphic type thing (I think?). I don't use that OS but that's just my guess because that OS has also screwed with other people's things.

I also imagine that it has to with something on the calculator itself. Like you can't divide by zero etc. Math laws might be interfering. It would be easier to do that than have to put in the law then make 17 thousand exceptions for its different uses.
calcdude84se

Posted: 03 May 2010 06:09:28 am    Post subject:

It really wouldn't be that hard, and 2.43 can do it just fine. Convert the real and imaginary parts to fractions, and display them as fractions. If one can't be made a fraction, still display the other part as one. I don't know, maybe TI was just too lazy to include pretty-print support for imaginary and complex numbers, too.
DrDnar

Posted: 03 May 2010 06:33:49 pm    Post subject:

TI was too lazy to do a lot of things for 2.53.

Like debugging.
calcdude84se

Posted: 03 May 2010 08:32:49 pm    Post subject:

did the TI-OS ever have that anyway?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement