This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
Deep Thought

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 09:21:05 pm    Post subject:

I've decided to take on my next big project after losing that Omnimaga platformer contest (yes, I admit it, my program was very slow, and not that creative either) and for some reason, it has to be another platform game. It's already mostly done, but I need some tips:
[attachment=3129:intro.gif][attachment=3136:menu.gif][attachment=3130:level1.gif
][attachment=3131:level2.gif][attachment=3137:win.gif]

http://www.ticalc.or.../427/42796.html

How do you like it so far?
I tried to give it everything most BASIC platformers don't have (like graphics, enemies, but above all speed), but when I run it on a Silver Edition calculator, especially an 83+SE, the speed seems to be too much, and the calculator doesn't even allow consecutive keypresses to register quickly enough (for example when you jump to the right, and you're holding the right arrow, it'll occasionally skip a right movement because the program has already gone onto the next fall). I'm thinking I actually made the program too fast for the calculator. Is there really this "limit," or does anyone know a way to get around it?

EDIT: Anyway, I've submitted it to ticalc, so that's the final version.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Apr 2010 07:32:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madskillz

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 10:12:15 pm    Post subject:

Not bad, I noticed when you press like the down key or any other button besides the 2nd button at the menu it seems to wipe the first letter in the menu. Looks great for a basic game. I noticed the keypress issue but its basic and I dont know exactly what you can do about it. It was speedy for a basic game, nicely done!
Deep Thought

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 11:12:18 pm    Post subject:

What do you mean when you said it "seems to wipe the first letter in the menu?" It's supposed to just go in the opposite direction as the key (up or down) you press. Can you send me a screenshot if this isn't what you're talking about?

EDIT: [font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Anyway, it's done (and the link is in the first post), and I'll probably just forget about the game in a few weeks anyway.
[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]
By the way, is Contra 83 really "inactive"? What'll happen to the level editor?

Last edited by Guest on 04 Jun 2010 10:46:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Madskillz

Posted: 16 Apr 2010 01:05:59 pm    Post subject:

William Yu wrote:

Anyway, it's done (and the link is in the first post), and I'll probably just forget about the game in a few weeks anyway.

By the way, is Contra 83 really "inactive"? What'll happen to the level editor?

Sorry I hadnt seen the reply earlier. What I meant was that it just wiped the first letter off and didnt move up or down...visually that is. I'll try the ticalc once its out. Maybe my calc was acting buggy.

As for Contra 83 it has been a long time since that came out. I dont think the level editor will be coming out.
calcdude84se

Posted: 16 Apr 2010 03:50:41 pm    Post subject:

No, it's not just you. I have magical vanishing letters too.
Up moves down and down up on the menus? That would explain a lot.
Deep Thought

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 16 Apr 2010 05:25:31 pm    Post subject:

calcdude84se wrote:

No, it's not just you. I have magical vanishing letters too.

I see what you mean...
Sorry the bug wasn't fixed earlier, but I don't actually have a cable, so it's very hard for me to transfer files to and from my calculator.
I've reuploaded it to the site, so it should work tomorrow.

Thanks for telling me.
Madskillz

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 07:57:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

That could very well be I never checked the opposite direction. Glad I wasnt the only one.
Deep Thought

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 May 2010 11:10:54 am    Post subject:

[font=Times][size=2]
Madskillz wrote:

Quote:

That could very well be I never checked the opposite direction. Glad I wasnt the only one.

Yes, I meant to have the directions mixed up just for the fun of it.

Anyway, I downloaded the "fixed" version from ticalc.org again, and it still didn't work, but I've reuploaded it again, and it works (finally). I figured out what went wrong: when I linked the program from my calculator to my computer, TI-Connect deleted two arrow tokens that should have pointed to the active menu entry (that's why the menus didn't work). I've replaced them with more stable arrows (less than and greater than signs), and now it shouldn't have that bug again. Does anyone know of a way to avoid having TI-Connect delete those 2-byte tokens? I really don't want to have this problem again.

Also, if anyone would rate my file for me, I would really appreciate it (who wouldn't?).[/size]
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement