This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
ExtendeD

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 03:53:25 pm    Post subject:

------------------------------------------------------

I'll try to catch up the different questions from http://www.unitedti.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8191:

bsl wrote:
EDIT: For the CAS version 1.1 once again the installation scripts went well, but I get an System error when I run the emulator the very last step.

This one may be caused the emulator installation program which is quite unstable for the moment.
Any help to document the TI-Nspire filesystem raw format will be greatly appreciated.

Lego wrote:
ndless is nice but something went wrong everytime (CAS)
he installs everything, bug hangs during "Checking copier transfer"
i waited 10 minutes
i just doesn't continue.
ndless also wants so reinstall the os everytime.

What was exactly your initial OS version?
Did Ndless hang for 10 minutes with its progress bar moving?

Levak wrote:
I had the same problem on my CAS, I managed to install properly Ndless on the tenth try !!

What was the problem for you Levak, the hang or the systematic downgrade?

bsl wrote:
ExtendeD: I got ndless to install the first time on my CAS. The demo worked !!!
I was going to print out this java code and go over it with a red pen to see how the exploit works.
The real discovery is doing this manually like you did. I was wondering if you can give a brief flow chart/ block diagram with descriptions, addresses of
how the exploit works ?

I am afraid distributing Ndless as an Open Source work is the most we are willing to do.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Oct 2010 04:09:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
ExtendeD

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 03:54:06 pm    Post subject:

Ross wrote:
I hope this hasn't already been posted, but I am very interested in programming for the Nspire now that Ndless is available. I don't have any experience programming for anything besides a computer, so I wanted to know if there were any resources available to help me program for the Nspire.

We are currently symplifing the building steps of TI-Nspire programs.
Meanwhile it would be great if anyone could create a wiki page on Hackspire to help other developers on this frequent question.

Ross wrote:
I also have no idea how to compile the code once it is done, as just trying to use the "make" command on one of the demos included with Ndless didn't work.

I suppose you are on Windows.
- Install MSYS: http://www.mingw.org/wiki/msys
- Install YAGARTO GNU ARM toolchain: - http://www.yagarto.de and add the tools to your PATH
- Open an MSYS console in Ndless/src/arm/demo and 'make' it.

What didn't work exactly for you?

Techrocket9 wrote:
Lego wrote:
ZwercK wrote:
How did you upgrade back? When I try to upgrade to the newest OS version with the Computer Link Software, it tells me
"The operating system file is corrupt or invalid.
Please go to education.ti.com to get a new OS file."

Same happend to me, you simply have to delete the OS via Maintance Menu.
Remove the Battery, Press Enter + Home + P and Turn the TI on.
After that you can install the 1.7 as usual.

You can do that, but it is the hard way.
As per ndless's readme, you uninstall ndless by holding theta (?) while turning the calculator on from a cold boot. After that, the 1.7 update installs fine!

This has been fixed for the next release.

panyan wrote:
ZwercK wrote:
But doesn't that uninstall both ndless and the orginal OS? My question is:
[b]Is it possible to have ndless running with OS v1.7?[/b]

exactly! we want to know this^

Not for the moment. This is of course one of our priorities, but its unfortunately not so easy.
geogeo

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 05:01:36 pm    Post subject:

ExtendeD wrote:
panyan wrote:
ZwercK wrote:
But doesn't that uninstall both ndless and the orginal OS? My question is:
[b]Is it possible to have ndless running with OS v1.7?[/b]

exactly! we want to know this^

Not for the moment. This is of course one of our priorities, but its unfortunately not so easy.

But we have to give an answer to this question:
If we allow running Ndless with OS 1.7 we allow to install the OS 1.7 CAS on a Non CAS calculator. In addition, the CAS model will be deprecated. It will be a major change for Texas Instruments market. Are we ready to support this change and have some 'problems' with Texas Instruments ?

Last edited by Guest on 01 Mar 2010 05:05:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
chipmunk884

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 05:46:55 pm    Post subject:

Here is what went wrong when I tried to compile. It gave me a bunch of errors including something like "couldn't find os.h" and "KEYS_NSPIRE_MULTIPLY not defined; used for first time in main()" or something along those lines. I followed your instructions exactly, and i still got a lot of errors about KEYS_NSPIRE_DIVIDE undefined and many other keys being undefined as well.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Mar 2010 06:41:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 05:47:32 pm    Post subject:

Not that it'd mean much at all, but as a community member I've got your back Smile
bwang

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 06:04:14 pm    Post subject:

With the current version of Ndless, is it theoretically possible to run the CAS OS 1.1 on the non-CAS (sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I'm just curious).

Also, is it theoretically possible to fix the OS 1.1 power management bug using a patch or a utility or do we have to wait for a version of Ndless that runs on OS 1.2?
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 06:45:54 pm    Post subject:

bwang wrote:
With the current version of Ndless, is it theoretically possible to run the CAS OS 1.1 on the non-CAS (sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I'm just curious).

Also, is it theoretically possible to fix the OS 1.1 power management bug using a patch or a utility or do we have to wait for a version of Ndless that runs on OS 1.2?

A very simple fix would be to make a program that will restart the OS when run, and you should select it before turning off. Then when you turn on, click.
bwang

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 07:23:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A very simple fix would be to make a program that will restart the OS when run, and you should select it before turning off. Then when you turn on, click.

Can someone post one of these? I don't know ARM assembly yet Sad
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 12:06:14 am    Post subject:

A few observations from the non-Windows side of the world...

- Does anybody know how to compile a "stand-alone" cross compiler? GCC really wants there to be a standard C library and header files already installed (and even if I wanted to use one, I'm not sure how I'd be able to compile it without GCC.) After a lot of hacking and swearing and copying files where they shouldn't be, I was able to build an arm-elf-gcc compiler... except that for some reason, it tries to use 'as' as the assembler rather than 'arm-elf-as'. Any ideas?

- Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the purpose of MakeTNS is to search for the string "PRG\0" within a binary file, and arbitrarily cut off everything that comes before that string. This does not seem like a very good design to me.

- In the source to the aforementioned MakeTNS, we appear to be (a) reading sizeof(unsigned long) bytes at a time into a buffer, (b) comparing sizeof(char*) of them with a constant string, and (c) using 4 of them in the output. Quite impressively non-portable.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Mar 2010 12:07:14 am; edited 1 time in total
kaarsten

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 12:26:06 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure if the ARM gcc is different, but I remember to create raw binaries for OS development, I needed to have library-less code, so the flags were "-nostdlib -nostartfiles -nodefaultlibs". Then again, ARM-gcc might be different.

In other news, we need to set about documenting the API (system calls, locations of important information like battery status, etc), not to mention porting some sort of CAS to the nSpire.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Mar 2010 02:06:02 am; edited 1 time in total
chipmunk884

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 07:02:11 am    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus, I understand your pain, as I have struggled for many hours to get the demo project to compile, and I was finally successful last night. I found out that my problem was that I copied the demo folder to a new location so that I wouldn't mess up the original, but I then realized that the Makefile was referencing a few other folders, including Header and System, so when I compiled it in the original folder, it worked. Since I am posting now, I do have another question. I run a website called Lafacroft which has a a bunch of different documents and activities to explain how the nspire works, as well as a few tutorials. I wanted to know if it is okay for me to publish some tutorials on making and compiling Ndless programs. I know that a lot of the code is public domain, but I wasn't sure if it all was, so I wanted to know if it was okay not only to make the tutorials but also put the Ndless and Nspire_emu files for download on my site as well. I would clearly state who the original creators were to give everyone proper credit, but I know that just doing that isn't okay unless the creators themselves approve.
Lego

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 09:15:28 am    Post subject:

ExtendeD wrote:
Lego wrote:
ndless is nice but something went wrong everytime (CAS)
he installs everything, bug hangs during "Checking copier transfer"
i waited 10 minutes
i just doesn't continue.
ndless also wants so reinstall the os everytime.

What was exactly your initial OS version?
Did Ndless hang for 10 minutes with its progress bar moving?

No the progress bar stays at 100% after 30seks or one minute.
A work around is to try to close the app before the 100% is reached and while it asks if we really want to close it just continues without hanging.
How about an debug command/switch so that we can check where it hangs :)

to the reinstall: First i started with 1.7, then it downgraded to 1.1
After a second try with 1.1 as initial OS it also ways that i have got 1.1.9170 and it has to downgrade to 1.1 so maybe there is just an wrong if or something like that in the code.

Edit:
currentOsVersion.getBuild() != 9253
but the CAS 1.1 is 9170

Last edited by Guest on 02 Mar 2010 09:39:19 am; edited 1 time in total
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 06:55:58 pm    Post subject:

Kaarsten wrote:
I'm not sure if the ARM gcc is different, but I remember to create raw binaries for OS development, I needed to have library-less code, so the flags were "-nostdlib -nostartfiles -nodefaultlibs". Then again, ARM-gcc might be different.

Thanks, that should be useful.

By the way, my problem with 'as' was that I had, for some reason, installed the arm-elf binutils in /usr and gcc in /usr/local. I would still have expected gcc to be smarter about it, though - it's a cross-compiler; surely /usr/bin/arm-elf-as is going to be more useful than /usr/bin/as. (And the gcc configure script did clearly indicate that it had detected /usr/bin/arm-elf-as as the cross-assembler.)
kaarsten

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 08:19:49 pm    Post subject:

Either memcpy is borked in the Ndless distribution, or I'm doing something wrong. When I compile my code that I've been tinkering with, this happens:

Code:
arm-elf-gcc -mcpu=arm7tdmi -Os -Wall -W -fpic -fno-merge-constants -c -I../headers -D NON_CAS graphics.c
graphics.c: In function 'SwapBuffers':
graphics.c:41: error: expected ';', ',' or ')' before 's1'
graphics.c:41: error: expected ')' before '(' token
make: *** [graphics.o] Error 1

The code in question is as follows:

Code:
void SwapBuffers()
{
   /* Copy the contents of the back buffer to the front buffer. */
   memcpy(VidMem, BackBuffer, (ScrW * ScrH));
}

Any idea what's going on there?
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 08:28:31 pm    Post subject:

Compile with -std=c99 or -std=gnu99.

Another question: Should we use hardware or software floating-point?

Last edited by Guest on 02 Mar 2010 08:51:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
kaarsten

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 09:01:38 pm    Post subject:

It compiles with a ton of warnings, but now nspire_emu crashes upon swapping buffers more than once... :/

Even then, there are occasional artifacts...
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 09:07:47 pm    Post subject:

Kaarsten wrote:
It compiles with a ton of warnings, but now nspire_emu crashes upon swapping buffers more than once... :/

ScrW * ScrH does take into account that there are two pixels per byte, right?
kaarsten

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 11:43:05 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:
Kaarsten wrote:

ScrW * ScrH does take into account that there are two pixels per byte, right?

Aye, it does. I even replaced it with SCREEN_BYTES_SIZE to ensure.
It doesn't crash anymore, thankfully, but it doesn't do anything either. When I try to fix it, it just crashes again.
Direct writes to the screen work, but double buffering doesn't. :/
ExtendeD

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 03 Mar 2010 03:51:46 am    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:
- Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the purpose of MakeTNS is to search for the string "PRG\0" within a binary file, and arbitrarily cut off everything that comes before that string. This does not seem like a very good design to me.

True, we are working on a fully-fledged executable loader.

FloppusMaximus wrote:
- In the source to the aforementioned MakeTNS, we appear to be (a) reading sizeof(unsigned long) bytes at a time into a buffer, (b) comparing sizeof(char*) of them with a constant string, and (c) using 4 of them in the output. Quite impressively non-portable.

Thanks, this has been recently fixed.

Ross wrote:
I know that a lot of the code is public domain, but I wasn't sure if it all was, so I wanted to know if it was okay not only to make the tutorials but also put the Ndless and Nspire_emu files for download on my site as well.

Ndless is covered by the Mozilla Public License 1.1, you should refer to it to distribute Ndless or any part of it.
Note that we are currently reworking on the build process and some part of your tutorial may become slightly out-of-date.

Lego wrote:
A work around is to try to close the app before the 100% is reached and while it asks if we really want to close it just continues without hanging.

That is quite strange, the popups doesn't really interact with the USB connectivity steps.
Is this one a random issue or are does it block each installation?

Lego wrote:
Edit:
currentOsVersion.getBuild() != 9253
but the CAS 1.1 is 9170

Thanks, we'll fix this.
Lego

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 03 Mar 2010 07:13:52 am    Post subject:

ExtendeD wrote:
Lego wrote:

That is quite strange, the popups doesn't really interact with the USB connectivity steps.
Is this one a random issue or are does it block each installation?

in 9 of 10 trys it hangs, but only if the cas had installed the forced install of 1.1
But If it is the second try to install ndless the Handheld says the OS is Broken and reboots, then ndless just updates Everything and continues without hanging at this Point.

Edit: BTW I use VMware, not an real Windows.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Mar 2010 06:48:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 7 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement