This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
Bhaliar

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 05:26:16 pm    Post subject:

So I searched and din't find much about this. Say I had a program thathad the window zstandard. And I drew a line at (25,0,30,0)

How could I move the character, so that he stays as the center, but the screen shifts around him? Does it have to do with playing with xmin, ymin, etc?
meishe91

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 05:54:11 pm    Post subject:

That could possibly work, you'd have to do the math behind it though. But from what I have read, while going through some of the projects here, is that most of the people are using apps like xLib or Celtic III to help achieve it. I have never had to do this so I'm not 100% for sure.
Bhaliar

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 05:59:51 pm    Post subject:

So like, if I wanted my guy to move, I would do a getkley thing with boolean, but on the ymin etc?
MrXuj

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 06:24:23 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't you have to redraw the line every time then, because of the screen clearing whenever you change the window variables?
Bhaliar

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 07:17:49 pm    Post subject:

Aww did think of that. XD. When games do it, is the window moving, or are all the lines moving. That seemes more reasonable.
meishe91

Posted: 28 Feb 2010 01:45:17 am    Post subject:

I think it varies from game to game. Some I think the character moves, others the place moves around them and then others both. I'm not sure though. I'd wait for one of the more experienced guys to answer that.
calcdude84se

Posted: 28 Feb 2010 11:57:27 am    Post subject:

Most people would shift the screen with ASM libs.
In pure basic, I believe that the difference between the two options you mentioned is more influenced by programming style, since each one requires about equal work. (i.e. you still must redraw all the lines, either way)
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Feb 2010 12:13:53 pm    Post subject:

Collision detection using pixels would have to be rewritten to compensate for the non-static window settings, which I wouldn't go for.
Bhaliar

Posted: 28 Feb 2010 03:07:33 pm    Post subject:

Aight. Thanks. Just wondering. I might attempt a game with a little graphics, where instead of screen mving, you go through doors and such.
kinkoa

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 09:23:52 am    Post subject:

a good way to make the screen shift is to use the celtic3 command identity(6,shift_number_of_times,direction,screen_update) this will allow you to move everything but you must redraw whats offscreen

the directions are
left : 1
right : 2
up : 4
up-left : 5
up-right : 6
down : 8
down-left : 9
down-right : 10

Edit: another way to do it would be to set everything to two master variables and make them move the opposite direction of the button you push and you dont have to redraw it, atleast i didnt when i tried it i made a blob in the center of the screen and made it move around a box

Last edited by Guest on 01 Jul 2010 09:37:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement