This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
MrXuj

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 06:08:47 pm    Post subject:

I've been playing with my calc for a bit now, and I'm getting the hang of it, a bit more at least.

Several days ago I was shown a puzzle called a Futoshiki, and it's a wonderful thing, in my opinion.

However, as I am in possession of a calculator capable of executing programs, I thought why not make a program that solves these things?

I've been trying for the past two days, without any luck. I'm currently using matrices with 1 as > and 2 as <, and it's not going so well.

So I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Or could this count as one of those brainteasers?
Bhaliar

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 06:20:20 pm    Post subject:

So you want to make a program that will solve them or a program that will create them and you solve them? As a side note, it looks like sudoku, but with constraints.
MrXuj

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 06:32:35 pm    Post subject:

The program I'm looking for is the solver itself.

And yes, it's somewhat like a sudoku with the 3x3 squares replaced with > and < as additional requirements besides the [1..2..n] numbers.
Bhaliar

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 12:25:39 am    Post subject:

Well my first idea would be to assign variables to each box. assign the given #'s then solve. A block of check like if the first row then 2nd then 3rd, then colmns, then diagonal. It would put numbers in an reassign them until the codes are succesful.
calcdude84se

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 07:35:51 am    Post subject:

I might be misunderstanding what you said, but that sounds a lot like brute-forcing.

It might be more efficient to solve it in a logical manner similar to how a person would do it, but the implementation would be complicated. (To get an idea, look at some of the better basic sudoku solvers)
Bhaliar

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 04:01:52 pm    Post subject:

It does seem like brute forcing, but there would be a difference. When it puts the nubers in it would perform a check that looks for any similair nubers. Say you wanted to put a 5 in. It would check diagonally, then vertically for a 5.
kinkoa

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 09:35:40 am    Post subject:

i have never heard of futoshiki so good luck i think it looks interesting tho
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement