This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Bhaliar

Posted: 25 Jan 2010 08:54:00 pm    Post subject:

So I am interested in learning to program my computer. After reading a bit on Qbasic I found it doesn't run on windows xp. I have windows xp home edition. is there any coding types that will run on here?
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 08:08:47 am    Post subject:

If you're completely inexperienced, I'd say that you should check out languages like Ruby, Python, BASIC.NET, etc. Something that isn't as horrifically outdated as QBasic. On a side note, I'm pretty sure that you could find a XP compiler for QBasic if you really wanted to.
Bhaliar

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 03:34:20 pm    Post subject:

I mainly want to run basic, because I want to learn Assembly for my ti-83. and the guide I want to use said that it will use basic for the computer as a reference. I'll try to find a compiler like you said though.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 05:08:41 pm    Post subject:

Bhaliar wrote:
I mainly want to run basic, because I want to learn Assembly for my ti-83. and the guide I want to use said that it will use basic for the computer as a reference. I'll try to find a compiler like you said though.

I wouldn't really say that Basic and Assembly are closely related enough for learning Basic to be much help - except for the programming concepts in general, which you can learn from just about any language. Python is one of my favorites for ease-of-use.
benryves

Posted: 30 Jan 2010 02:10:31 pm    Post subject:

C# and Python are generally recommended as good languages for beginners, as they are pretty idiot-proof and sane (so you won't spend excessive amounts of time learning about their quirks, but how to actually program) yet are still extremely competent programming languages. See Picking a Language on the GDNet wiki.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement