This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Dec 2003 03:50:52 pm    Post subject:

Just curious.
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 07 Dec 2003 04:06:11 pm    Post subject:

My vote is the sarcastic one!
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Dec 2003 06:25:31 pm    Post subject:

Wow, this isn't a pointless poll. I think I'll start one!

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Ninja pollsters, get ready!
Matt

Posted: 08 Dec 2003 05:09:54 pm    Post subject:

Ok . . . .I think I'm gettin' a clue. (I'll change it)
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 09 Dec 2003 12:30:20 am    Post subject:

I wouldnt ever imagine mine as getting annoying after a while......
DmitriB

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Dec 2003 11:05:37 am    Post subject:

your avatar is annoying and i only saw it for a few seconds...they distract you from the actual page cause they are flashing to much.

Ninjas can hack too...and they hate flashy annoying avatars.
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Dec 2003 11:49:47 am    Post subject:

Lol, that isn't annoying, it's pretty funny. And since it is pretty much monochromatic, it isn't that distracting (at least to me).

:evil::ph34r:Evil or Very Mad
The ninjas have appropriated a purging process for those who disdain their reverent name...
Evil or Very Mad:ph34r:Evil or Very Mad
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Dec 2003 11:54:24 am    Post subject:

Funny and distracting isn't mutually exclusive, some are funny, some get old very fast and then start getting annoying.

Monochromatic is pretty much the most distracting thing possible, who wouldn't notice black on white or white on black?

Anyway, this poll isn't directed to anyone on this forum in particular, it's just that I often see people on forums complaining about animated avatars and was wondering what the general attitude about it was on this forum.
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 09 Dec 2003 05:07:41 pm    Post subject:

You know what would be cool, avatars that ran the animation five times or whatever and then stopped, but started again if you held your mouse over them. Then they would a.) move and look cool, and b.) stop before they get annoying.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Dec 2003 05:08:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 09 Dec 2003 05:50:20 pm    Post subject:

I bet you could do that. But im going to look for a new avatar...its beginning to annoy even me.
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Dec 2003 05:55:03 pm    Post subject:

The problem with that is that then the avatar would complete its animation before the user had had a chance to scroll down and view it. If you used Flash or some extraneous JavaScript (prohibited by the forum) you could make it so that the viewer of a page sees the animation only X amount of times, but that's just too much people! Come on! You have 1600 advertisements (on average) blasted, read, flashed, flown, shown at/for/for/by you each day! I think we can handle an animated avatar. As far as distraction factor goes, an avatar in itself can be quite a diversion, but we still keep them around don't we? Typing in all caps grabs your attention, but nobody gets booted from the forum for an occasional shouting fit. Grow up and stop whining - the avatars are spiffy.

Ninja vengeance will plague those who dare be their adversaries... Reverently...
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 09 Dec 2003 06:10:05 pm    Post subject:

True. But it is still annoying me. So within a few days i'll have a new one. Anyone: send me ideas on what to change it too if you want (or care).
b__

Posted: 09 Dec 2003 06:27:19 pm    Post subject:

Moving avatars are annoying, but who cares you are only reading the page for a minute anyways.

Is my avatar working?

Last edited by Guest on 09 Dec 2003 06:28:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 09 Dec 2003 06:32:20 pm    Post subject:

Nope its not working.
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Dec 2003 09:19:26 pm    Post subject:

I don't have any imedeate preconceptions of ideas for a new avatar for you, though I do wish to ask about a point of interest on the old (/current) one. The url to the image is "http://mitglied.lycos.de/skinhead68/mad_dance1.gif"... Skinhead68? Is that your username for some free web host or someone elses or what in gods name would posses someone to obtain such a name? I can only think of the rather disturbing (however obscure) reference to a "ball busting skinhead" who wishes to make a "playground out of [someone's] a" when viewing that url. The emotional damage alone has reapt harsh repurcussions upon my financial assets, which have been transfered fully over to therapy. I can't eat, I can't sleep - that url lays back in the "rincon" (corner, too lazy to add accento) of the twisted cavernous reaches that swell deep past my mind and through my soul into that which is the innermost depths of my psyche.

Over-dramatization is something to be looked at with a reverent eye.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 09 Dec 2003 09:36:26 pm    Post subject:

Yes that is the url. But no, I don't want to a rape you, and no its not my username, and ive never been to that site (i got the pic from google image search). But thanks for flavoring the world with your extensive and colorful imagination!
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Dec 2003 05:18:41 pm    Post subject:

Um I can change mine if it's bugging anyone. And it is possible to only have a gif play a certain number of times (at least with the software I use.) :D

Spyderbyte

Last edited by Guest on 10 Dec 2003 05:19:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
anduril66
Anduril is the Flame of the West!

Posted: 10 Dec 2003 05:36:22 pm    Post subject:

I don't like animated avatars, avatars (non-animated), smilies, and graphic icons. I also don't like large text. I am very secretive.
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Dec 2003 10:50:49 pm    Post subject:

Spyderbyte wrote:
Um I can change mine if it's bugging anyone.  And it is possible to only have a gif play a certain number of times (at least with the software I use.) :D

Spyderbyte

The problem is though that lets say you have it play the animation 3 times - but your avatar is in the middle of the page. By the time the user scrolls down your avatar will already have gone through its 3 cycles. If you make it more cycles, they may happen to scroll down to your post first and it will seem repetetive. Thus my explanation of it being implausible to make a good and simple image animation repeater mechanism that would base its repeating on what the user is viewing, at least in this forum.

*Mmmm* Pass the Supreme, no, Cheese, no, Meat Lovers... Yeah... Oooh - pass it reverently... *Mmmmmm*
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Dec 2003 08:43:32 am    Post subject:

You can set up a flash movie as an avatar in invision boards (like this one) but I forgot how. You can probably just upload it like you do with normal avatars, but I'm not sure.

I remember somebody who did that and the avatar only had an animation (and even sound) for when somebody put their mouse on top of it.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement