This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 06:18:33 pm    Post subject:

Little over a month ago, I cloned my Western Digital 3200AAJS (320GB) drive over to a second one of the exact same model. It worked okay for a month or so, but ever since Comodo Antivirus found some suspicious files, the whole windows installation crashes (or won't boot at all). Everything was x10 to x1000 slower than normal and the "HDD Busy" light was constantly lit up.

I re-cloned 3 times and each time the result was different. The OS's on other partitions seemed unstable too, so I checked the disk manufacturer's test software--and sure enough: the second disk is b-b-bad to the bone. Now I have to take my disk on a long drive out to the woods..

Did a virus wreck this disk?

Last edited by Guest on 15 Nov 2009 06:19:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 01:38:30 am    Post subject:

Theoretically possible....
calcdude84se

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 04:49:19 pm    Post subject:

With the right permissions (typically obtained through a security hole) a virus could write whatever it wants to the hard disk.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 05:56:12 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Little over a month ago, I cloned my Western Digital 3200AAJS (320GB) drive over to a second one of the exact same model. It worked okay for a month or so, but ever since Comodo Antivirus found some suspicious files, the whole windows installation crashes (or won't boot at all). Everything was x10 to x1000 slower than normal and the "HDD Busy" light was constantly lit up.

I re-cloned 3 times and each time the result was different. The OS's on other partitions seemed unstable too, so I checked the disk manufacturer's test software--and sure enough: the second disk is b-b-bad to the bone. Now I have to take my disk on a long drive out to the woods..

Did a virus wreck this disk?

i hade the same problem last month, the disk was DOA
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 08:33:18 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. I should have checked it when it arrived. So far all I found were a couple of heuristics, but no viruses or rootkits outright. The really weird part is all 3 antiviruses crashed after the first couple 1,000 files.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement