This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
TI-newb

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 04:29:11 pm    Post subject:

So anyways, Ive just started ASM and i got the Crimson Editor, and Devpac8x, and my calculator and such things. But heres my first problem:

How do i get the Program Compiled... (I went on Unitedti.org/asmin28/lessons..) and got a code there, and i want to try it out, but the instructions are a bit confusing for Compiling(assembling) the code... Can anyone describe to me how you would do it..? or if devpac8x is even the right thing for it?

*If Devpac8x is the right thing... When i click on "asm - MS DOS Batch File 1KB" i see this black box appear on my screen, then dissapear like right away. i dont thnk thats supposed to happen?
Galandros

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 05:58:49 pm    Post subject:

Devpac8x is a linker. First you need an assembler.

I suggest using spasm. It is a very good z80 assembler and linker to z80 calculators.

Spasm use in command line is simply:
spasm hello.z80 hello.8xp

To get to command line in windows got to All programs -> accessories -> command line
Then is question of changing directories until you get to the path of the assembler and source code...

You can use bat files to help your work but I don't know much about them. And there is some ways to open the command line in the folder of assembler but the way I know is hard to explain...
TI-newb

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 09:07:41 pm    Post subject:

thanks for replying, But i dont understand what you do when u get to.. 'Run'? Change directories??? what?? im pretty new with the complicated stuff. so yeah.. i have no idea what u guys are talking about..

And to get this clear.. How do i 'assemble' the code?.. so the Devpac8x isnt the Assembler? okay.. Say i did Assemble the code.. How does that Devpac8x Transport the assembled code, onto the Ti-83/84..
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 09:41:07 pm    Post subject:

try ez83pasm:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/368/36894.html

If I recall correctly, you assemble the code to the bytecode, then turn it into the .8xp with devpac8x.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 01:41:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
thanks for replying, But i dont understand what you do when u get to.. 'Run'? Change directories??? what?? im pretty new with the complicated stuff. so yeah.. i have no idea what u guys are talking about..

The complicated stuff is yet to come :biggrin:

It's highly advisable to learn another language first (that does NOT include TI-Basic), like C, C++, Java or something and/or get a computer jargon file.
ztrumpet

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 03:43:21 pm    Post subject:

I think what you need to know is how you get to that spot in Command Prompt.

I assume you are om Windows.
1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Key "cmd" and press enter
4. Type cd then / or \ (I forget which) and the name of the folder you want. Locate the one with your program's txt and spasm.
5. Type what Galandros said.
6. Press enter and hope for the best.
thepenguin77

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 04:37:47 pm    Post subject:

As for batch files, this is what I use. Just remove the z80 style comments and save as asm.bat.

Code:
@echo off                                                            ;this just makes it look pretty
echo ==== Now assembling %1.z80 for the TI-83 Plus ====                  ;text
tasm -80 -i -b c:\asm\source\%1.z80 c:\asm\exec\%1.bin            ; tasm works well for me
                                    ;also, those are the two folders I keep my stuff in, %1 is the first thing you type in the
                                                                  ;command line
if errorlevel 1 goto ERRORS
rem This is necessary because of a DevPac8x bug            ;batch file style comment
cd c:\asm\exec                                                 ;jump to the directory
c:\asm\tasm\devpac8x %1                                       ;use devpac on it, %1 is what we typed in earlier which is the name
cd c:\asm\tasm                                                 ;back to where we started
echo ==== Job finished. Program saved as %1.8xp ====                     ;more text
goto DONE
:ERRORS
echo ==== Errors!!! ====
:DONE
del c:\asm\source\%1.lst > NUL                                    ;delete the byproducts created
del c:\asm\exec\%1.bin > NUL
echo ==== Done ====
time /T                                                      ;this is nice for debugging purposes

You should make the folders described in 28 days. C:\asm\exec c:\asm\source c:\asm\tasm.
Throw ti83plus.inc, devpac8x, tasm, and this in c:\asm\tasm.
Then open cmd, type: cd c:\asm\tasm, then type asm <<program name>> and it assembles it.

I like this method the best because once you do this step, you never have to worry about it again.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Nov 2009 05:00:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
TI-newb

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 09:37:01 pm    Post subject:

thanks guys, i understand how to do it now =DDD

and Iambian also helped. so thanks to all. (especially Iambian, he gave me like a personal tutorial and everyyyythinggg)
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 01:12:37 pm    Post subject:

ugh, just get spasm:

Code:
spasm project.z80 pong.8xp

and you're done!

you can get spasm here:
group.revsoft.org/spasm.exe
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 01:36:10 pm    Post subject:

Why use stairs when you can take the elevator? ...Good exercise.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Nov 2009 01:36:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement