This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
account4me2

Posted: 02 Nov 2009 07:48:51 pm    Post subject:

Hello,

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out here.

I've been using this program 'Fake': http://brandonw.net/calculators/fake/ for awhile now, but I realise that it would be much more useful if it were reworked a different way.

Basically, with Fake, you:
Select the "Fake" application from the APPS menu and enter a combination of keypresses to use to "unlock" the application later. You then 'clear' the memory using any normal method, and once you do, Fake will hide all of your programs and Flash applications. You can type the combination you selected at any time, and all the hidden programs and applications will reappear.

What I need is something that does this:
You select a combination you want, and when you enter that combination, it HIDES the programs and apps. Then you can type the combination again to unhide the apps, and so on. This way you could, for example, toggle the appearance of all programs and apps in the menus with a single button press.

From a non-programmer's point of view (me), it seems that all that needs to be changed to Fake is that the code that detects if you entered the correct combination needs to be copied and it needs to replace the code that detects whether you went into the mem menu and clicked clear.

It would be VERY helpful if someone clever and with enough time could rework the code of Fake (http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/fake.zip) to do this.

Thank you very much for any help guys!

Last edited by Guest on 02 Nov 2009 07:50:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Nov 2009 11:06:48 pm    Post subject:

It's certainly possible to do what you're saying (using a hook of some variety.) I don't know precisely how Fake works, though.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 01:38:46 am    Post subject:

Why would you want that? Fake is a tool to do fake resets that look legitimate, so I don't see why you'd want that. I have the source to Fake, so maybe I can whip something up when I get home in 2 days.
account4me2

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 05:20:06 am    Post subject:

It would be awesome if you could do that. Thank you very much!

And to answer your question, here is a typical situation where it would come in handy:

When you enter a test/exam, you use Fake to trick the teacher/supervisor into thinking your memory is cleared. Then as soon as the test starts, you undo Fake and everything reappears. Well what if, for example: During the actual test, a teacher/supervisor is walking around the room watching the students, and catches a glimpse of what look like notes on your calc, so comes to investigate. They would find you tricked them, and that all your apps are still there. Also, there's a greater likelihood of this happening if you are using your calculator in a subject where you shouldn't be using it very much, if at all. Unless you could push a button and make the apps disappear.

In my case, I have a Biology exam in 6 days, and am pretty screwed without something like this.

Also, if it's not too hard (because you will already have been of great help), it would be great if the program could (when the user enters the combination) first return to the calculation screen (i.e. quit any running application), then hide the programs+apps too - in this case a cool name for the app would be 'Panic' (you'd have to ask brandonw though before any sort of official release). :biggrin:

Thanks again!

Last edited by Guest on 03 Nov 2009 07:10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ah-blabla

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 06:39:46 am    Post subject:

There is something like this for the TI 89/Voyage 200 etc:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/252/25235.html
It allows you to hide individual files and folders, so I think you should be able to just hide the folder containing the stuff you want to hide. (You just need to remember the name though of the files you have hidden. Another problem is that it may not be possible to hide the hider. I will test this.)

Note: I haven't tested this myself, so I don't know what it's like to use.

Update: I did some testing (on an emulator): it's pretty cool: you can even hide the program itself, and it still works. (Unhiding the program isn't possible though if you do this, so you need to do a hard shutdown to remove it if you hide it.) The way it seems to work is by accessing the file, which hides the file from the Varlink display.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Nov 2009 06:53:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Lordelo

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 09:08:11 am    Post subject:

[quote name='ah-blabla' post='138170' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:39 AM']There is something like this for the TI 89/Voyage 200 etc:
It allows you to hide individual files and folders, so I think you should be able to just hide the folder containing the stuff you want to hide. (You just need to remember the name though of the files you have hidden. Another problem is that it may not be possible to hide the hider. I will test this.)

Update: I did some testing (on an emulator): it's pretty cool: you can even hide the program itself, and it still works. (Unhiding the program isn't possible though if you do this, so you need to do a hard shutdown to remove it if you hide it.) The way it seems to work is by accessing the file, which hides the file from the Varlink display.[/quote]

I have that sneaky little program, haven't tried clearing all memory after hiding something and see if it's still there afterwards, though. Do you think it would work? Or is this what you just said...? (sorry)
fougere

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 05:32:45 pm    Post subject:

Personally, I would not help you edit/write a program that does something intently deceitful and knowingly against the rules. One could argue that programming was not invented because people were lazy and did not want to work, but it was invented to progress further in technology and the sciences. Using it for cheating on a test does not contribute to this and is an abuse of the gift given by the great minds who came before us. It's just something to think about. I'll get off my soapbox now.
account4me2

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 06:50:25 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='ah-blabla' post='138170' date='Nov 3 2009, 12:39 PM']There is something like this for the TI 89/Voyage 200 etc:

Update: I did some testing (on an emulator): it's pretty cool: you can even hide the program itself, and it still works. (Unhiding the program isn't possible though if you do this, so you need to do a hard shutdown to remove it if you hide it.) The way it seems to work is by accessing the file, which hides the file from the Varlink display.[/quote]

Sorry guys. I forgot to mention I have a TI-84+ Silver Edition (Silver Edition means extra memory). Also, that doesn't really sound like what I'm looking for. I want something where, say, pushing a single button will hide/unhide all my programs+apps. The program Fake by brandonw has all the code necessary for this, it just needs to be reworked a little.

Thanks anyway though!

FougereRapide wrote:
Personally, I would not help you edit/write a program that does something intently deceitful and knowingly against the rules. One could argue that programming was not invented because people were lazy and did not want to work, but it was invented to progress further in technology and the sciences. Using it for cheating on a test does not contribute to this and is an abuse of the gift given by the great minds who came before us. It's just something to think about. I'll get off my soapbox now.

The point of programming is usually to make tasks easier and/or possible. Also, considering you have no idea what my personal/life circumstances are, I think it's fairer you reserve judgement.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Nov 2009 07:13:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 07:41:46 pm    Post subject:

Here's an idea.

Don't cheat.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 08:12:08 pm    Post subject:

account4me2 wrote:
FougereRapide wrote:

The point of programming is usually to make tasks easier and/or possible. Also, considering you have no idea what my personal/life circumstances are, I think it's fairer you reserve judgement.

Easier yes. Do it for you? No. I understand using programs to help you on concepts you get, like the quadratic function. However, your teacher obviously does not want you to use these programs, otherwise, you wouldn't want them to be hidden.

As for your circumstances, if your bad at math, or any subject for that matter, work harder at it!!! Saying that you don't know what my circumstances are is simply a cop-out. You just don't want to admit that it's wrong to cheat. I have seen this before. I don't care if you are failing a subject. WORK HARDER.

Okay, getting of my soapbox...

Is it math you have trouble with?
account4me2

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 09:46:36 pm    Post subject:

Graphmastur wrote:
Easier yes. Do it for you? No.

The first thing that came to mind when you said that was Windows Automatic Update. Surprise surprise: It's a program that yes, updates your computer for you, without requiring you to do anything. Also, the whole idea behind computers was that they were able to perform complex calculations that would've taken humans ages to do.

In addition, if you don't believe in using programs to do things for you, well then why don't you try getting through your life without a calculator at all? The whole idea behind calculators is that they calcuate things for you, saving you from doing it yourself! Why are you even a member on this calculator forum if you don't believe in using programming to do things for you?

Quote:
work harder at it!!!

And if I don't have time? Or what if I have ADD and can't concentrate for long periods?

Quote:
Is it math you have trouble with?

No, I'm alright at math. It sounds like you might've been going to offer some help though, so thanks anyway.

And sorry if you find this post a bit rude. It just annoys me when people involve themselves in others' business. I came here for help, not criticism (thank you, those who have attempted to help).

Last edited by Guest on 03 Nov 2009 09:52:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 10:28:19 pm    Post subject:

account4me2 wrote:
And if I don't have time? Or what if I have ADD and can't concentrate for long periods?
If you had that disorder, you'd know that it's called "ADHD."

I, for one, don't like the idea of a teacher coming to this message board and finding a topic on cheating through exams. Thread closed.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Nov 2009 10:28:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement