This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 03 Oct 2009 08:20:55 pm    Post subject:

Soo.. Anyone here enjoyed the previous Stargate incarnations? Well, I have managed to download and watch this. If you enjoyed Atlantis, you might actually enjoy this one.

General plot:
A group of researchers are attempting to access the 9th chevron. Frustrated, the head researcher put his problem into a game that is played worldwide in the hopes a genius reveals himself and unlocks it. Of course one does and is taken there, but the planet they are researching on becomes under attack, and the core of the planet becomes unstable. So they are forced (after figuring out why they couldn't dial the 9th chevron) to go through the gate and end up on an Ancient ship.

Just like how Atlantis starts out, they have more problems they have to contend with. And at the end of the episode, they leave you in a cliff hanger.

Anyone else watch it?
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 04 Oct 2009 11:05:07 am    Post subject:

I did. The only thing that I didn't like was that it didn't show much of the Hammond kicking the other ships' asses Sad (I'm a sucker for space battles).
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 04 Oct 2009 05:19:05 pm    Post subject:

lol, same here XD

Tho I would have to say they upgrades on visuals of those enemy ships was kinda nice, looked a bit more real.

I think this is a nicer start than we were led to believe. Will still be skeptical for at least the next few episodes to see what happens.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 04 Oct 2009 08:55:19 pm    Post subject:

I thought this thread might be about some Stargate MMO, which would be great. Then i remember that there is actually a Stargate based MMO in the works ... isnt there?
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Oct 2009 05:56:41 pm    Post subject:

I watched it, it was amazing
I really like how they make the characters seems really plausible. It makes it seem more real.
I loved SG1 and Atlantis, but I've got to say Universe, from what I've seen so far, it takes the cake Razz
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Oct 2009 06:41:18 pm    Post subject:

Should I watch other Stargates first or is this a good place to start?
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 06 Oct 2009 12:43:50 am    Post subject:

Have you seen the first film? If you havent watch that.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 06 Oct 2009 08:21:50 am    Post subject:

Super Speler wrote:
Should I watch other Stargates first or is this a good place to start?

Wikipedia gives a decent overview of most of the plots and stuff.
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Oct 2009 05:12:33 pm    Post subject:

if I were you I would start with the movie, then watch the other ones, but you could just go on wikipedia and then start with Universe
fougere

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 Oct 2009 03:28:47 pm    Post subject:

tr1p1ea wrote:
I thought this thread might be about some Stargate MMO, which would be great. Then i remember that there is actually a Stargate based MMO in the works ... isnt there?

Yes, Stargate Worlds. I was fornuate enough to be a part of the early closed beta and, while it was still a big work in progress, it looked promising. Unfortunately, there hasn't been much news from them lately, but a few glimpses of it were actually featured in the SGU pilot episode.
fougere

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 Oct 2009 03:42:25 pm    Post subject:

If I remember correctly from a few Atlantis episodes, doesn't the 8th chevron require a special control crystal that only earth's and atlantis's stargates have? (that's why you have stop and get off at "Midway Station" to switch from Pegasus's to Milky Way's gates while travelling via the McKay-Carter intergalactic gate bridge) I don't recall either it or another control crystal for the 9th chevron being mentioned in SGU. Inconsistencies like this always bother me.

Also, I sincerely hope that each new Stargate series does not degrade to darker and darker plots like what happened with Star Trek.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Oct 2009 08:39:35 pm    Post subject:

FougereRapide wrote:
If I remember correctly from a few Atlantis episodes, doesn't the 8th chevron require a special control crystal that only earth's and atlantis's stargates have? (that's why you have stop and get off at "Midway Station" to switch from Pegasus's to Milky Way's gates while travelling via the McKay-Carter intergalactic gate bridge) I don't recall either it or another control crystal for the 9th chevron being mentioned in SGU. Inconsistencies like this always bother me.

Also, I sincerely hope that each new Stargate series does not degrade to darker and darker plots like what happened with Star Trek.

I watched Universe and didn't care for it, but we'll see if it redeems itself.

To answer your question, no, the 8th chevron doesn't require a special control crystal, it just requires more power (like from a ZPM). The "special control crystal" deal had to do with dialing Earth from the Pegasus galaxy. They vaguely mentioned that the Ancients made it so that only Atlantis could dial the Earth gate, which always sounded kind of unusual to me, so I usually shrugged it off. If there's anything inconsistent, it's that. For proof of this, watch the season 1 episode of Atlantis where they take the control crystal from Atlantis and bring it to that "fog" planet, to use the extra power from the "fog" to dial Earth from that planet's Pegasus gate. McKay had to hook it up to the DHD.

The reason for the midway station was because you had to switch from the Pegasus gate system to the Milky Way system, which was mentioned in one of the episodes.

They've redefined the meaning of the chevrons many times throughout the franchise. Originally it was star constellations, then it was just unique symbols and combinations based on the "updates" that the stargates send to each other (see SG-1's "Avenger 2.0"), then it was syllables in the Ancient language (Proclarush Taonas, from the SG-1 season 7 finale if I recall correctly), and so on.

If I remember right, they needed the Icarus base (the planet they went to in Universe) because they could draw an insane amount of power from the planet (maybe geothermal energy or something) to dial the 9th chevron. I think they mentioned that they were incorrect in assuming that the 9th chevron was the point of origin, which it wasn't; it was a standard 8-symbol address with a special symbol as the 9th chevron. So to directly answer "What's the point of the 9th chevron?", I think it was just a special combination that was intended to be used from Earth. By that logic, the point of origin is really pointless (and when you think about it, it always was).

I hate inconsistencies too, but it's so far gone now that it's not worth overanalyzing, like I just did.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 09 Oct 2009 03:52:52 am    Post subject:

I knew you couldnt stay away from a Stargate topic for too long brandon! Will you be signing up for Stargate Worlds? Smile.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Oct 2009 02:17:00 pm    Post subject:

tr1p1ea wrote:
I knew you couldnt stay away from a Stargate topic for too long brandon! Will you be signing up for Stargate Worlds? Smile.

I despise RPGs, MMORPGs, or anything resembling it, but because it's Stargate mythology, I just might give it a shot.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 10 Oct 2009 04:32:41 pm    Post subject:

Well, so far it isn't -that- bad. Many things could be worse about it. I like the idea of a ship falling apart as it moves along, tho if it is so low on power, why isn't it stopping to conserve energy? *shrugs*

One would imagine that eventually they will be able to crack any security on the computer system and be able to alter course to a different point. Or convince the AI that seems to be aboard it to change course. Will give it a few more episodes before I jump on the 'kill it' band wagon.

And boy, RDA got a touch on the chubby side.. o.o
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 12 Oct 2009 05:44:14 pm    Post subject:

Spaceships shouldn't NEED so much power unless they're in a gravitational field. To speed up/slow down would indeed consume energy, but moving at a constant velocity [s]would[/s] should be the default with zero gravity and air pressure.

:P
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 12 Oct 2009 05:53:51 pm    Post subject:

IAmACalculator wrote:
Spaceships shouldn't NEED so much power unless they're in a gravitational field. To speed up/slow down would indeed consume energy, but moving at a constant velocity [s]would[/s] should be the default with zero gravity and air pressure.

:P

Considering the fact that it's faster than light travel, there has to be something special going on, which most likely consumes a freaking ton of power.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Oct 2009 06:19:49 pm    Post subject:

They mentioned that the ship ahead of them is consuming resources as it finds them and automagically building stargates and depositing them on worlds. The Destiny may be doing something similar by searching for resources for fuel. Or you could just accept that the ship has a complement of ZPMs...3 was enough to keep the Atlantis shield powered at the bottom of the ocean for 10,000 years.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement