This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Sep 2009 02:24:19 pm    Post subject:

Turning on my laptop Friday morning, I came face-to-face with a nasty surprise.

The LCD screen resembled little more than TV static.

I borrowed an external monitor from one of my older PC assembled from random parts, and the display worked properly, it was reasoned by me and someone on #tcpa that there was some sort of damage to the LCD controller.

I'm not sure what happened, it never got dropped or anything. Fortunately, besides that, it worked properly, so I backed up all my data into an external hard drive so nothing was lost. (for those interested, it was a compaq presario f750us)

Since most the time I ever get to use this is out on the road or at a friends (I'm rarely at home), it has lost its usability for me. Unfortunately, t will take time for me to get a new computer, so I will not be online a while.

I might still do some sprite work occasionally, but most of my projects will be put on hold for a while, so apologies to anyone waiting on Pokemon. I'll still come here sometimes, when it's convenient, so I won't be GONE-gone. Hopefully, I'll be able to afford a new computer soon.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Sep 2009 03:33:42 pm    Post subject:

it can be worse

picture

the oil moves over time Neutral
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Sep 2009 05:25:50 pm    Post subject:

darkstone knight wrote:
it can be worse

picture

the oil moves over time Neutral

I laughed and then cried at the fate of that computer. A friend's TI was dropped, and the entire screen wen't blue with a crack that expanded outward like a fractal. It was awesome...
benryves

Posted: 19 Sep 2009 05:49:09 pm    Post subject:

eBay is a good place to find replacement LCD panels for a laptop. They should be pretty easy to swap out (in some cases you can just swap the lids).
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Sep 2009 05:51:39 pm    Post subject:

Ouch, sorry to hear that
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Sep 2009 05:55:42 pm    Post subject:

benryves: believe me, i searched all over for replacements, but came up empty :(

hotdog: I'll message you about tiles later, this is gonna set me back a bit :/
ztrumpet

Posted: 20 Sep 2009 01:42:34 pm    Post subject:

Good luck metagross.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Sep 2009 04:07:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
hotdog: I'll message you about tiles later, this is gonna set me back a bit :/

Take all the time you need with those tiles. The only request I have is, if you have the belthium crystals tile finished, I will need that tile asap, otherwise, I have no problem with making my own.

In the meantime, I was planning to make some tile sets myself, so I'll work on my own tile set (space) to test the program with.

Good luck!

Last edited by Guest on 21 Sep 2009 04:07:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Sep 2009 01:18:56 pm    Post subject:

ok, I feel a bit silly, but i turned on my laptop today and the screen worked?

WTF

In any case, I still intend to get a newer computer anyway, but as I am bored right now I am going to work on that crystal tile.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement