This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
allemensen

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 11:51:11 am    Post subject:

Hello,

Does anyone know of a good emulator for linux which has a debugger.

I currently use TiLem, but occasionally it won't start, no matter what I try. (The error I get is ** ERROR **: unable to pixmap 'run.xpm')
TiLem's debugger is also kinda broken since it won't update it's memory view window and, well, everything could be much better.

I have wabbitemu (using wine), but the version I have only shows the current status, without buttons to step etc.
Another wabbitemu I tried doesn't work with wine.

My calculator (and thus my ROM) is a TI-84+, but I have a ti-84+ SE ROM laying around somewhere if that's necessary.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 12:10:20 pm    Post subject:

Do you have tiLem's latest version? (check lpg.ticalc.org)

There really is no better emu.

(Btw, 84+ emulation doesn't work for me either, I use an SE rom too)
allemensen

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 12:14:11 pm    Post subject:

I have the latest version (0.973)
It is good enough, but I'd like an emulator which always works, and doesn't give up a few days later. Maybe I should dig around in its code to fix the issue.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 12:17:43 pm    Post subject:

I think I have something like 0.8, though .973 could also be.

Do you have the version from repo.calcforge.org (where I got mine)?
allemensen

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 12:21:09 pm    Post subject:

No, I use arch linux, which has it's own type of packages.
I was looking around and found out that the last release (0.973) is old: from 2006.
There is a reasonable amount of svn activity lately though, so I might try that.

If anyone knows more about the state of the project in svn: please comment.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 08:44:09 am    Post subject:

There are no newer releases afaik. I think you should contact Romain on the issue. His address must be around somewhere on lpg.ticalc.org.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 03:39:38 pm    Post subject:

TilEm is currently having a major code overhaul. Smile The code in Subversion is not exactly usable at this point.

allemensen, it sounds like you don't have it installed properly. How did you install it - from source or from a binary package? Might there be multiple versions of it installed in different places?

Mapar007, roms is not involved anymore. If you have questions or comments about TilEm, talk to me and/or Thibault Duponchelle (aka Contra.)

Last edited by Guest on 15 Sep 2009 03:41:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
allemensen

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 03:59:47 pm    Post subject:

I installed from source. Arch linux uses a build system for packages not in the repository (http://aur.archlinux.org)

It runs the following steps:
./configure --prefix=/usr
sed ... (I do not remember the exact command, but it patched the file link.c (I think). TiLem wouldn't compile without it)
make
make install

I'm sure this is the only version installed.
Madskillz

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 10:15:34 pm    Post subject:

I think wabbitemu has a Linux version...Check out www.revsoft.org in the forums, under the wabbitemu section.

Edit: I think there is a build on this page:
http://www.revsoft.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...c&start=105

Last edited by Guest on 15 Sep 2009 10:35:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
allemensen

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 12:56:04 am    Post subject:

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, the qt-port of wabbitemu has no debugger, so it no added value. It's a bit glitchy too.
I couldn't find the GTK build on that page or anywhere else, but I'm probably not looking in the right places.

I'll just stick with wabbitemu running in wine for now. FloppusMaximum, could you notify me when TiLem reaches an usable state. I might even be able to provide some patches, altough I do not know very much about the hardware of the calculator.

PS: What GUI toolkit are you using in TiLem? I think Qt would be a plus, since that'd be able to run on both Mac, Linux and Windows.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 09:10:37 pm    Post subject:

TilEm is using GTK+. I've never been a fan of Qt from either a user's or a programmer's perspective.

Not that I really think any of the other toolkits is all that much better. I guess I just dislike GUI programming in general - but for some reason I remain hopeful that somebody, someday, will write a toolkit that doesn't suck. Smile
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement