This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
rskjr

Posted: 11 Sep 2009 08:36:21 am    Post subject:

Hello all,
i'm developing a graphing calculator for the iPhone, and i'm starting to add programming features... I don't know how many TI-8x hackers own iPhones... but regardless... being able to run TI-BASIC programs on the iPhone would be pretty neat. ( btw. this is an incredible compilation http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopi...=0&p=106610, consider all the crap that's being produced for the iPhone, with its 600 MHz processor, and you could probably solve everything on project euler with an 83 using stuff on that page.) anyways...

1) Would you use "very-high level language" features like list comprehensions, objects, metaprogramming (http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=6430&st=260&p=107373&#entry107373 this is a cool trick Wink, anonymous functions, whatever?
2) Would you use basic on the iPhone? given the choice, 68k or z80 flavor? both?
3) What basic features are important to you? (my friend showed me a TI-83 menu-based war game he wrote entirely with GOTO and labels. it had upkeep, training, and upgrading your forces, random famines, and a final battle sequence with a bomb "animation". i assume this is uncommon, and that programmers use loops Razz)

props on the 83+ key.
sorry if this isn't the right place for this... i don't even know if this poll will work.
edit: and yikes there's a duplicate i don't know how to delete.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Sep 2009 08:50:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Sep 2009 04:21:09 pm    Post subject:

First of all, welcome to UTI!

I voted for TI-BASIC, for the sole reason that if this is going to be a TI calc emulator, it should work the same way, with the same compatible languages. However much I would like a C++ compiler, I think it should stay true to the calc's functions.

Edit: Oh, and if you want to delete the other topic, just click the "delete" button in the post editing options (in the bottom-right corner of the post). Assuming nobody else has posted in it yet, it will (or at least it should) delete the entire topic.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Sep 2009 04:22:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 02:10:59 pm    Post subject:

Assembly of course... xD

EDIT: wait, do you mean assembly to control the IPhone, or Z80 code on your emu?

Last edited by Guest on 12 Sep 2009 02:11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 03:40:23 pm    Post subject:

Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz wrote:
I voted for TI-BASIC, for the sole reason that if this is going to be a TI calc emulator, it should work the same way, with the same compatible languages. However much I would like a C++ compiler, I think it should stay true to the calc's functions.
Mapar007 wrote:
do you mean assembly to control the IPhone, or Z80 code on your emu?
Did I miss something? It didn't sound like the OP wants to write an emulator, just a graphing calculator. Of course, if he wants it to run TI-BASIC, then he really should be writing an emulator instead, because it's easier to write an emulator than rewrite the whole OS from scratch, and TI-BASIC is pretty core in the OS.
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 05:38:19 pm    Post subject:

Ohh... well, if it's an emulator, then I vote TI-BASIC/Z80. If not, then I'd want C++.
benryves

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 05:52:01 pm    Post subject:

Don't Apple impose stupid restrictions on what apps can and cannot do, one of which being the ability to run 3rd party code? They recently pulled a C64 emulator from the app store as you could run C64 BASIC on it.
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 05:56:36 pm    Post subject:

One word: Jailbreak. You can pretty much bypass all but the iPhone's core OS with a jailbreak (or so i've heard. never tried it myself). Even though it's pretty risky.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Sep 2009 05:58:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrDnar

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 05:59:49 pm    Post subject:

The BASIC on the Z80s is terrible. As magicdanw noted, much of the functionality of the calculator is accessible through BASIC, so he'd to implement all that functionality. Then again, it sounds like that's his goal, to create a functional graphing calculator. If people want the functionality of a real TI, they should use an emulator (or buy one, imagine that). If you just want to create a generic graphing calculator, just make up your own language. Trying to duplicate actual TI-BASIC will get you a never-ending stream of complaints about how some undocumented side-effect of an obscure hack doesn't work. (For example, where are you going to find Get("L") documented? Certainly not from TI.)

TIOS has a lot of functions I don't even have the math background to understand.
Madskillz

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 07:01:18 pm    Post subject:

yeah we over at revsoft had talked about porting wabbitemu over to the iphone/ipod touch...but ultimately unless it is jailbroken, I dont think it is feasible. As somebody stated the c64 emu got pulled after they discovered that the author left the ability to access the c64 BASIC.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement