This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Sep 2009 02:26:53 pm    Post subject:

How in the world does Google Chrome manage to install itself on a Windows XP limited account with no permissions? Most software can't install with a limited account.

So essentially isn't the limited account useless for preventing software being installed on a computer without administrator rights with this technique?
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Sep 2009 05:11:47 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure, but I think that some software needs Admin permission, because it can do harmful things, but some software doesn't.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 08 Sep 2009 05:36:50 pm    Post subject:

Newbie, I've done the same with FireFox, though I told to install to C:/doc&settings/user/Program Files/ rather than C:/Program Files/ I guess it most likely does something similar.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Sep 2009 06:25:11 pm    Post subject:

@TheStorm:

I believe you're right. If it's account specific it will install apparently, because Chrome doesn't default to program files.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement