This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 03:06:48 pm    Post subject:

I've seen in a lot of ASM games that when a key is held down, actions repeat instantly until the key is released. But in most functions of the calculator, including TI-Basic key, if you hold a key down, there's a delay before repeated actions. For example, in a menu, if you hold the down key, the menu selector will go down one line, then if you keep holding the down key, there's a delay before the menu selector scrolls smoothly down the menu.

How do you turn on Quick Key Repeats in an ASM program?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 03:39:58 pm    Post subject:

Pretty much, you directly read the key port with the in/out instructions. The process is a little trickier than a typical GetKey command because you also have to mask out unneccesary keys manually and control your own timing. As far as altering the key timing outside the prog, maybe that could be done with keyhooks.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 04:18:05 pm    Post subject:

Ah, okay, it proves that the TI-83+ Flash Debugger is not a good emulator. I used the in/out ports and had to test the app on my calculator to see that it indeed worked.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 04:32:43 pm    Post subject:

Hot Dog wrote:
Ah, okay, it proves that the TI-83+ Flash Debugger is not a good emulator. I used the in/out ports and had to test the app on my calculator to see that it indeed worked.

Yeah, I bet it's possible that the Flash Debugger was using the keypress delay on your computer's keyboard.
Seren

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 04:36:03 pm    Post subject:

On the other hand, you have to make sure that when somebody is selecting something in a menu, that when you press down an arrow, it does not scroll too quickly between the options, or else it is hard to select them.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 04:48:50 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, it's really difficult to find the perfect balance between moving once if you tap a key, yet also repeating instantly if you hold it down. I was eventually able to get that to work by putting a key check in my interrupt handler.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Sep 2009 12:37:13 am    Post subject:

One thing you could do in menus is just number the options. Or use _GetCSC as opposed to direct input for the menus.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 04 Sep 2009 04:45:35 am    Post subject:

Oh man, dont use the Flash Debugger, it only emulates the most basic of calc features, and even then only loosely. Use PTI or Wabbit.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Sep 2009 12:34:53 pm    Post subject:

... or TilEm. (which doesn't emulate certain of my roms, but when they work, they work as they should)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement