This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
funlu

Posted: 02 Sep 2009 10:26:55 pm    Post subject:

I have MirageOS 1.1 for my calculator and it works fine. (1.2 and all the other versions don't work, they just restart the calculator and clear the RAM) The problem is that only a few games work with it and I have heard that they will work in ION. So, I tried it and same error - the calculator restarts and my RAM is cleared.
I was wondering if there is an ION version that actually works with my TI-nspire, because I really want to add some games, and I have only a few that actually work with MirageOS 1.1

Thanks
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Sep 2009 10:47:15 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that Ion (not an acronym) will work better than MirageOS. If the game itself is buggy, or uses unsupported opcodes, it makes no difference what shell you use.

BrandonW has a program (somewhere) that patches MirageOS to run on the Nspire. I'd suggest trying that first, or trying a more up-to-date shell such as DoorsCS or NoShell.

And you should realize that many assembly programs have bugs, and will crash the calculator; there's no way around it.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 09:56:19 am    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:
I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that Ion (not an acronym) will work better than MirageOS.
BrandonW has a program (somewhere) that patches MirageOS to run on the Nspire. I'd suggest trying that first, or trying a more up-to-date shell such as DoorsCS or NoShell.

As long as we're correcting things, it's "Noshell", not "NoShell" (like Nosh-ell). Smile
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 11:11:49 am    Post subject:

funlu wrote:
The problem is that only a few games work with it and I have heard that they will work in ION.

All games written for Ion can be loaded by MirageOS while games written for MirageOS cannot be loaded by Ion. I expect you misunderstood "written for" (i.e uses shell functions from) as "works exclusively with"...
funlu

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 11:13:06 am    Post subject:

Ok, so I have downloaded noshell and it works fine. I actually prefer it over any other shell I've tried! :)

However, the same games hat didn't work on MirageOS didn't work on noshell either. Is it just a result of a buggy game or is it my calculator? (if it is buggy why would they upload it to ticalc.com?)
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 11:48:01 am    Post subject:

As FloppusMaximus mentionned the emulation offered by the nspire is far from perfect and as a result some programs that work fine on 83+/84+ calculators will fail or crash in the emulated environment, no matter what shell you use to run them.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 01:18:08 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but Brandon has a patch for Mirage to work on the NSpire. I don't know if this will help though... (don't have the details)

It's somewhere in brandonw.net/calcstuff
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 01:29:27 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
As long as we're correcting things, it's "Noshell", not "NoShell" (like Nosh-ell). Smile

Oops, sorry. That's what I get for trying to correct somebody else. Razz
funlu

Posted: 03 Sep 2009 09:50:50 pm    Post subject:

Ok, so it is the TI-nspire's fault.
Is there any way to fix the calculator to make it play as normal?
Could anyone tell me what brandonw's TI-nspire patch does?
Any help would be greatly appreciated and can be used as a future reference to any other people who may have this problem.
funlu

Posted: 05 Sep 2009 04:49:46 pm    Post subject:

Bump? Sorry for the double post but... does anyone else have anything to say?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement