This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. S.A.D. (Seek and Destroy) =>
United-TI Archives -> S.A.D. (Seek and Destroy)

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Oct 2009 11:35:06 pm    Post subject:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[font="Impact"]BALKSTONE

[attachment=2867:Balkstone.gif]

Role: Stealth Fighter/Gunship
Cost: 400 Belthium Crystals
Health Points: 160
Damage Per Second: 18 per second (or 24 per second with railgun upgrade)
Weapon Range: 1
Speed: 30
Fuel Capacity: 3000
Sephrane Gas Capacity: 180
Rate of Overheat: 8 HP per second

Balkstones are the most important cloakable units in the game, and in fact were the ONLY cloakable units during the first initial planning stages of the game. In addition, Balkstones might be the hardest units to use strategy-wise.

A Balkstone is able to attack both air and ground and has the highest gas-per-cost ratio out of all units. But on the other side of the coin, it has a low fire-rate and a very short weapon's range. Plus, like the Raptor, a Balkstone can only fire forwards.

Balkstones have a unique attack method, depending on what upgrades a player chooses. In its inital form, it has three weapons that fire the same distance away from it.

Balkstones only require a Starbase for availablity and most research, but a Quantum Facility is required for researching cloak.

Extension Coils: This upgrade is second in importance only to cloak. Under normal circumstances, all three of a Balkstone's weapons all fire at the same target. But a player can use extension coils to rotate the Balkstone's side weapons forward and backward. This allows a Balkstone to fire over a wide range, sort of a pseudo spalsh damage. This allows a player to choose whether to fire all three weapons at one target, or damage 3 individual targets. This is a permanent upgrade
Zinyar Railgun:Another permanent upgrade. This adds a fourth weapon behind a Balkstone. This weapon is also used in conjunction with the Extension Coils, but can not fire forwards. Because of this, a player can turn the upgrade on or off to save fuel.
Cloak:This is a Deterorating Upgrade, and will render a Balkstone invisible except when detectors are present.
Booster Engines:This is a deteriorating upgrade. Booster Engines will allow a Balkstone to go as fast as, but not faster than, a Reclauda.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Oct 2009 02:48:12 am    Post subject:

This is the last of the units. But I'm still working on graphics while work continues on the tilemap routine. Next up is unit weapons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[font="Impact"]SPLITRON

[attachment=2868:Splitron.gif]

Role: Capital Ship
Cost: 1000 Belthium Crystals
Health Points: 120
Damage Per Second: 24 for both Air and Ground Units
Weapon Range: 3
Speed: 10
Fuel Capacity: 4500
Sephrane Gas Capacity: N/A
Rate of Overheat: N/A

Unlike other units in the game, Splitrons are not toys...you get what you pay for, and you can spread fear to your opponent by using one, but it's not a vessel you can use lightly--a player skilled with Argos or Reclaudas will teach you a lesson you won't soon forget.

With that said, the strength of a Splitron comes from its weapons, and of course from its HP. It also boasts a large fuel capacity, and is the best counter for Universal Defense Systems. As another bonus, it is a perfect unit for eliminating Operation Centers with its capacity for holding Dronomonic Torpedos.

Splitrons require Command Centers for upgrades and selection.

[attachment=2869:Command_Center.GIF]

Dronomonic Torpedos: This is a Refillable Upgrade. Dronomonic Torpedos are the only weapon capable of attacking Operation Centers, so refitting a Splitron with this weapon allows it to attack what no other vessel, except Argos, can. Unlike an Argo, however, a Splitron can hold up to 20 Dronomonic Torpedos, which means a Splitron can destroy a single Operation Center with one full load of torpedos.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Guest on 13 Oct 2009 02:49:12 am; edited 1 time in total
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 14 Oct 2009 02:14:21 pm    Post subject:

nice keep up the good work unfortunately my opinion isnt worth much since i have never have gotten this far if i was you I just dont have the ability or focus
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 02:04:25 am    Post subject:

As many of you understand by now, many, many different things that are weeks or even months away from development are being planned at this moment, because planning is important. One of these is the campaign mode...work on the campaign will not begin for quite some time, not until the S.A.D. demo (more on that in the far future) is released. But I have been doing some planning on how to go about this.

In order to keep the main S.A.D. application small, the campaign is provided as an external file, with the campaign execution information hard-coded into S.A.D. itself. This does have three advantages, however:

1. Another bonus included with the game: A Windows-based campaign designer (This is good news for you guys, but of course, it also makes it easier for ME to design the campaign :biggrin: )
2. Campaigns can be large, with many, many features, and yet divided into several parts
3. A player can include the campaign if he/she wants to play it. If only multiplayer and Skirmish is preferred, the player can have just a basic, small application.

So, with an external campaign designer, there are several features I'm going to incorporate to allow the designing of high-quality campaigns for those willing to dedicate their time making their own story lines. But I would like suggestions on what else to include in terms of features.

Here's what I have so far for features:

* Sequential Script Reading, meaning campaigns do not jump to labels
* Any number of missions
* Password protection to prevent users from skipping ahead if the campaign is divided into several parts
* Text Display for displaying just text on a white screen. This can be used for stuff like Mission Objectives, Timeline information, tips, etc.
* Mission Breifing Room: Up to three portraits, with custom-designed sprites, can be displayed on the top, and the proper portrait will be highlighted when the character is talking. Text is displayed below the portraits. The portraits are still, meaning non-moving, portraits.
* Cutscenes. This is an important, if limited, feature that will better help in story lines. The only things you can do are display sprites (custom or those provided with the game), display tilemaps, and display text, with a character portrait for the person to know who's talking. If you've played Earthbound or any similar RPG, you'll know what kind of cutscenes I'm talking about, and you'll also understand there's SO MUCH you can do with these three features.
* Custom objects, used only for mission objectives. These can either be destroyed or "reached" (Example: Destroy this object, or get this ship to this object). They can also be built, but do not do anything special, rather they just "sit there." Like starcraft, you have to pretend it does something
* Custom tiles...although custom tiles are supported for external maps, you can create tiles specifically for the campaign, or use tiles from an external source, though the latter is not recommended
* You can pause between scenes, but only between scenes. This makes a little bit of a "dramatic" transition between missions and scenes
* A Splash Screen can be displayed before each mission
* Custom Units can be created for the AI. THESE ARE LIMITED: You can either create a unit with 1 sprite, or 8 sprites (1 for each direction). In addition, the units have no special abilities, and can only fire a basic weapon, using a custom sprite if desired. Fire rate, Air Attack, Ground Attack, Range and Speed. Acceleration, Sephrane Gas and Fuel cannot be altered, and indeed are not used. As for structural units, custom structures can be created, but only as equivalents of other structures.
* Three AIs are available for any use. You can have three AIs on a team against the player, 2 AIs teamed and 1 AI aiding the player, etc. AI difficulty can also be set.
* You can alter the tech tree to a limited extent, in that you can choose what can and cannot be built. In some cases, you can choose to have a combat mission, meaning that nothing can be built.
* Possible Mission Objectives:

---Destroy X Units of any type or specific type
---Destroy X Structures of any type or specific type
---Destroy X Custom Objects of any type or specific type
---Build X Custom Object
---Find Custom Object
---Get Unit to Custom Object
---X Units must survive
---X Custom Object must survive for Y Time
---Build X Strucutres of any type or specific type
---Destory everything Smile
---You must survive for X time
---Ally must survive for X time
---You must have X crystals left

I'm willing to add extra feautres if they are not hard to incorporate, but I can't include all suggestions. Also, PLEASE DO NOT suggest an extra feature if you don't plan on designing a campaign...the last thing I need is to add a feature that nobody uses.

By the way, there's no deadline for suggestions, since the campaign designing is not happening for quite some time. Feel free to add a suggestion any time you think of one.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Oct 2009 11:09:09 am; edited 1 time in total
ztrumpet

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 09:15:03 am    Post subject:

This is looking great!

What if you had to get two objectives like X Units must survive and Destroy X Units of a specific type.

Also, what if you had to have a specific number of Belthium Crystals left?

Last edited by Guest on 17 Oct 2009 09:15:23 am; edited 1 time in total
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 11:37:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
What if you had to get two objectives like X Units must survive and Destroy X Units of a specific type.

Also, what if you had to have a specific number of Belthium Crystals left?

Multiple Objectives is a planned feature, I forgot to mention that. However, even though "You must have X crystals left" is an objective that is not hard to add, can you give an example of how that might be useful? Since a player's supply of crystals grows constantly, I can't think of a situation...

Which brings me to a request I forgot to mention: Not only do I request that you not give suggestions unless you plan on designing a campaign, but please also give an example of how you might use it. You don't have to give away a storyline or anything, just give me some way of knowing that the added feature will be used, not just sitting there. After all, so far, I've added objectives that I will indeed be using in the campaign, which will contain 25 missions.
ztrumpet

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 11:45:51 am    Post subject:

Hot Dog wrote:
Multiple Objectives is a planned feature, I forgot to mention that. However, even though "You must have X crystals left" is an objective that is not hard to add, can you give an example of how that might be useful? Since a player's supply of crystals grows constantly, I can't think of a situation...
Oh, I didn't realize the crystals always grow.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 12:02:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Opps, I didn't mean that. Crystals run out eventually, but the game usually starts out with a gracious amount. Again, this is why I like to have an idea of what you plan to do with the feature you suggest...if I were to add "You must have X crystals left", how might you use that in a campaign?
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 12:24:18 pm    Post subject:

you know how in age of empires there is a wonders objective where you have to build a wonder then defend it from destruction for x amount of time. well, what if you made a similar objective where you have to buid a "super structure" and after its made it has to survive for x amount of time. heres an example of why it would be used, say you need to build a super lazer tower whitch ,when charged, would defeat the enemy, but it takes a realy long time to charge, and if it is destroyed the enemy will win, so you have to protect it until it is charged and ready to fire
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 12:35:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
you know how in age of empires there is a wonders objective where you have to build a wonder then defend it from destruction for x amount of time. well, what if you made a similar objective where you have to buid a "super structure" and after its made it has to survive for x amount of time. heres an example of why it would be used, say you need to build a super lazer tower whitch ,when charged, would defeat the enemy, but it takes a realy long time to charge, and if it is destroyed the enemy will win, so you have to protect it until it is charged and ready to fire

That's won't be difficut to add, and it's also a good idea, so I will plan on incorporating that. I'll put it under the list of mission objectives so that people will know it's already been suggested.
ztrumpet

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 12:40:24 pm    Post subject:

Hot Dog wrote:
Quote:

Opps, I didn't mean that. Crystals run out eventually, but the game usually starts out with a gracious amount. Again, this is why I like to have an idea of what you plan to do with the feature you suggest...if I were to add "You must have X crystals left", how might you use that in a campaign?

There wouldn't be much use for my idea if you have so many crystals, but it was something like this:
You must defeat the enemy but also keep your wealth. It will take many units, but you don't have any crystals to spare. Something like that.

I'd drop it since I found out it's not that great of an idea. Smile
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 12:45:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
There wouldn't be much use for my idea if you have so many crystals, but it was something like this:
You must defeat the enemy but also keep your wealth. It will take many units, but you don't have any crystals to spare. Something like that.

I'd drop it since I found out it's not that great of an idea.

If you plan on using it for your campaign, I'll add it, it's not hard to add. You can always design a map where's there no crystals around, or few crystal deposits, and you have a set amount to start out with. I can think of several scenarios where you can use this, I'm just sorry I didn't think about it before
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 01:06:47 pm    Post subject:

i think it would be a good idea to put a time limit option for objectives that normally dont have to do with time, also you could add a capture the flag like objective where you have to bring a custom object ,either from an enemy or fromthe middle of the map, to your "base" to win. for example you have to steal an important object that each player own and bring it back to your base to destroy it and once a players object is destroyed they lose.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 01:25:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
you could add a capture the flag like objective where you have to bring a custom object ,either from an enemy or fromthe middle of the map, to your "base" to win. for example you have to steal an important object that each player own and bring it back to your base to destroy it and once a players object is destroyed they lose.

Good suggestion, but since a player controls one unit and therefore dies and respawns on a consistent basis, I don't think I can add this. It's not easy to explain, but in the case of this RTS game, if you have an objective of bringing an object to your base, you might as well just use the objective "Destroy your opponent"
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 11:45:57 pm    Post subject:

About this "X crystals left" objective:
(assuming a campaign has multiple scenarios/battles)

- You need a minimal amount of money to please someone
- You have to buy a certain upgrade in the next level
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Oct 2009 12:47:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
About this "X crystals left" objective:
(assuming a campaign has multiple scenarios/battles)

- You need a minimal amount of money to please someone
- You have to buy a certain upgrade in the next level

Right, I'll add the "X Crystals left" objective. It won't be hard, I just didn't want to add it just to find out nobody used it :biggrin:
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 18 Oct 2009 09:54:29 am    Post subject:

could if there is a two versus two campain you could add an objective that your ally has to survive x amount of time. your defending a convoy from two raiding partys perhaps, or if ypour ally survises it builds trust between two nations
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Oct 2009 09:19:32 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather that we don't lock out the 83+ crowd. Smile
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Oct 2009 10:01:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I'd rather that we don't lock out the 83+ crowd.

What do you mean?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Oct 2009 10:34:53 pm    Post subject:

I was saying that time in seconds wouldn't work because the 83+ doesn't have a clock.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Oct 2009 10:35:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 11 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement