This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. S.A.D. (Seek and Destroy) =>
ztrumpet

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 06:44:09 pm    Post subject:

This game is great!
Things I noticed:
1. No teacher key: That's good. Though I play games in class, I don't agree with teacher keys because it "cheats" you out of learning.
2. I like the saving/loading of link play.
3. AIs need to be balanced nicely. Since this is you, I'm sure they will be balanced well.
4. For beta testing, I'm sure anyone would do it. I can test calc to calc multiplayer if you want.

Continue astounding and amazing us with this!
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 06:57:05 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm, ths seems to be coming along nicely! I'm still open for graphic work if you want any, just let me know Smile
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 07:18:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Hmmm, ths seems to be coming along nicely! I'm still open for graphic work if you want any, just let me know

Well, the graphics work that needs to be done for right now is not creating graphics, but editing graphics (we will need more new graphics later, though). The task I'm thinking of, Eeems, is gathering numerical data from the ship sprites. I would need you to gather size and offset data on each of the ship sprites, which I will use to help put together the data that will be compressed, and in addition will be decompressed into RAM for use of the application. It's not a hard position, but it is lengthy and would be a big help. If you're avaliable, I'll give you more details and the files you need. In addition, if you think you'll be willing and able to help with a lot of graphics aspects, all you need is a gmail account and I can give you the source code for the game.

Let me know either way!
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 08:24:23 pm    Post subject:

hmm, ok well that could work...now all I need is to remember my Gmail account...
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 10:24:56 pm    Post subject:

I actually changed my mind about the previous task I was hoping you would do, Eeems. Since I designed the ship sprites, it would probably be best if I made the adjustments since I know how they rotate in circles and what not. However, there's plenty of other graphics work out there, and whatever graphic work you're able to do, you can take as much time as you need on. We're pretty much putting a puzzle together rather than writing a paper...what that means is rather than going from start to finish, we're working on bits and pieces and fitting them together as time goes.

So my first request is sprites for an animation that will occur when teleporting to another area or transforming your unit into another one. The animation will last about 5 seconds, and you can use duplicate sprites in the animation whenever needed. The teleport needs to start up in 1/2 second and continue for 3 1/2 seconds. The last second is when the unit will disappear, so there needs to be one second of the teleporting "dying down" somehow...I'm envisioning stars and sparkles, kind of like a cartoon movie where a wizard or fairy godmother disappears. You're looking at about 30 frames per second, and a GIF showing your animation would be a big help.

Feel free to use any units on the website as a guide, although the same teleport will be used for every single unit. And of course, ask any questions you need to.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 10:56:43 pm    Post subject:

I'm thinking a stargate like system where the rings go up, flash of light, rings go down, and object is teleported.
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 11:17:28 pm    Post subject:

K I'll get to work on it as soon as I can
I may not be able to work on it that much right now due to the fact that I have a play coming up this week so I'll be away from home most of it.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Nov 2009 01:36:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I may not be able to work on it that much right now due to the fact that I have a play coming up this week so I'll be away from home most of it.

Thanks for letting me know. Like I said, time is no concern of mine. Oh, thanks, and good luck with your play, by the way.

Graphmastur has a good idea, I'm envisioning something more in motion, like a Star Trek transporter. You may also have a good idea of your own, so be creative!

Two more things: The image should be 32 x 32 in size. Also, the animation should now be 2 1/2 seconds instead of 5 seconds. I was visualizing a game in my head and decided 5 seconds was way too long.
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 01 Dec 2009 04:15:44 pm    Post subject:

Hot Dog wrote:
So my first request is sprites for an animation that will occur when teleporting to another area or transforming your unit into another one. The animation will last about 5 seconds, and you can use duplicate sprites in the animation whenever needed.

for the transformation you could do something like when a Pokemon evolves,
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Dec 2009 09:12:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Quote:
So my first request is sprites for an animation that will occur when teleporting to another area or transforming your unit into another one. The animation will last about 5 seconds, and you can use duplicate sprites in the animation whenever needed.

for the transformation you could do something like when a Pokemon evolves,

I hope you understood that what I mean is, if you create a sprite, you can use the same sprite over and over in the animation. For instance if you think your animation will require 4 sprites repeating over and over, you can do so.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Dec 2009 09:12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 02 Dec 2009 10:14:52 pm    Post subject:

i understand that
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Dec 2009 11:36:23 pm    Post subject:

Random Fact #6

If you've read the forum, you understand that in S.A.D., you can teleport across the map via Operation Centers or Transformation Gateways, or by using a Raptor with it's teleport ability. A Raptor can teleport anywhere a player has explored, but otherwise teleporting can only be done between Gateways and Operation Centers.

You also know that teleporting takes 2 1/2 seconds, and respawning takes 2 1/2 seconds (When you respawn, you can choose a Gateway or OC to respawn at.)

But here's the new fact: You are vulnerable during the process of respawning or teleporting. You can be fired upon, but you cannot fire back. There are two reasons for this:

1. If you try to get away using teleportation and are successful, your opponent cannot use your gateways and Operation Centers to continue the persuit, and you can repair safely out of reach. Vulnerability during teleporting gives the enemy player a last chance to finish you off before you escape and repair.
2. Vulnerabililty during respawning keeps you from giving surprise attacks/instant counter attacks lightly. You can choose to respawn directly in front of your opponent as a surprise attack, but if the fight would normally end in a tie, your opponents chance to get off those first few shots can really be an advantage.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Dec 2009 09:10:27 am    Post subject:

Wow, if you can implement all that has been listed here (or have you already done so 0.0), I'll respect you forever.
ztrumpet

Posted: 04 Dec 2009 05:36:47 pm    Post subject:

The random fact series is great! I glad you have planned this so well.
Rebma Boss

Posted: 04 Dec 2009 09:14:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
With school and what now, we can't put in as much time as we would like, so a computer that can learn new things can be a real challenge to develop.

It's understandable that school can make things difficult when you're making this game in your spare time rather than as part of a job Smile So are you planning on putting in a lot more work during your winter vacation?
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Dec 2009 12:47:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
So are you planning on putting in a lot more work during your winter vacation?

YES!!! I cannot wait for finals to be done. I do have a couple of other things I'm working on during vacation, but I will definitely be catching up during Winter Vacation, and I'm hoping that the rest of the team will be able to if they have the time.

Anyways, school ends for the quarter for me next week, so there will probably only be one more Random Fact for a while, and then some progress updates. Random facts are used to keep people interested and to show the project is not dead, so they are not needed when there's some progress happening.
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Dec 2009 12:11:28 pm    Post subject:

Well my play is done, so I have more free time, I'll try to get some work in this weekend if I can
I should be able to during christmas break as well
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Dec 2009 01:51:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Well my play is done

I don't mean to get off topic, but how did it go?
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Dec 2009 02:22:53 pm    Post subject:

It went great! Hardly any hiccups at all, and our third performace was our best, per usual. There was this one guy who kept hurting his toes, kind of funny actually. Unfortunatly, my gf wasn't able to make it due to the bad weather :/ which almost wrecked my day...well it kind of did...
Thanks for asking Smile
ztrumpet

Posted: 07 Dec 2009 06:08:53 pm    Post subject:

Nice! You got into Featured Programs and Apps!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 9 of 11 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement