This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. S.A.D. (Seek and Destroy) =>
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Sep 2009 01:32:47 am    Post subject:

Here it is, the first S.A.D. animation, and the first unit: the Scouter. Sorry about the bends, these are due to WabbitEmu.

[attachment=2786:Scouter.gif]

As you can see, you can rotate the arms while moving.

Sure enough, just what I was hoping for: the animation and keyboard reactions were so fast, I had to slow the program down with an NOP timer. In game, the Scouter may move twice as fast, but this is about the speed the legs will move.

So, this means that the Sprite-Display and Turret Rotation parts of the S.A.D. game engine are in top shape, I just need to add clipping. My next step is to start designs for two units: the Raptor and the Tank. I have sketches and designs for the other units so far, but no idea yet as to what the Tank and the Raptor are going to look like.

In addition, I'll begin working on the tile-map part of the engine when Metagross has finished designing the tiles I need to test it.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Sep 2009 08:43:21 am    Post subject:

cool. i think the tiles will be done monday or tuesday.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Sep 2009 09:52:25 am    Post subject:

here are a couple examples of what i had in mind for 8x8. i find 8x8 pretty a hard to make tiles with, so these might need touching up. i also put in a mall demonstrative map.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Sep 2009 10:06:41 am    Post subject:

BEAUTIFUL! Boy, if this is the kind of work you can do with 8 x 8 tiles, I can't wait to see what your 16 x 16 tiles look like! I appreciate the work you put into it!

By the way, I'll give you two months of advanced notice on when I'll need the explosion sprites, since I won't be needing them for a while. So when you're finished with the 16 x 16 tiles, feel free to spend most of your time on your other projects. Like I said, most of your work will come when I'm finished with the game engine. :biggrin:

EDIT: Nothing much in terms of updates, except I redid the Transformation Gateway and Mine to fit the style of S.A.D. more. The Gateway is on the left, the Mine on the right.

[attachment=2794:Transfor...and_Mine.GIF]

Last edited by Guest on 07 Sep 2009 03:59:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Sep 2009 06:24:59 pm    Post subject:

In planning the tilemap engine, I decided to divide both the maps and the map tiles into several application variables (about 4 tile variables and 4 map variables). There are two reasons for this:

1. The biggest reason is that S.A.D. is going to be a big game, maybe 3-4 application pages. This is mostly due to the unit data, since many units have big sprites, with their masks, and weapon data. Anyways, putting maps and tiles into several application variables will allow one without a "Silver Edition" calculator to decide whether or not one wants to include all the maps, or just a limited set of maps.
2. Putting maps and tilemap data into application variables makes it easier to incorporate custom-made tiles, and allows users to distribute maps/custom tiles to other people

So now, I am now working on a map compiler for DOS...it will be text-based, and therefore will probably not require DOS-Box to run. When the time comes for map designing, this will be one of the "official" tools available for those who like to make maps on the computer. Note that it will me a map COMPILER, not a designer...there is a program called tmedit that will be destributed for map designing. Also, Metagross and I are planning on an on-calc map designer/compiler combined.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Sep 2009 08:43:35 pm    Post subject:

umm, yeah! planning.......... is what we were doing!
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Sep 2009 10:58:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The biggest reason is that S.A.D. is going to be a big game, maybe 3-4 application pages.

basb can't generate more than 1-page apps, sadly. You'll have to stick with appvars, or go pure ASM. :biggrin:
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Sep 2009 02:45:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
basb can't generate more than 1-page apps, sadly. You'll have to stick with appvars, or go pure ASM.

Oh, did you think I was using basicbuilder? About 5 or so posts into this topic, I established that I was going pure ASM.

In other news, the tilemapping is on hold. While waiting for 16 x 16 tiles (I'm not rushing you, Metagross, please understand that) I looked back at my Scouter routine and realized that I was putting too much work into the turrets. Most ships will only be able to fire in eight directions, but I was going to have the Scouter fire in 16 directions. So I'm keeping the game simple, where all units can fire in only eight directions. That means that I'm going back to the Scouter code and doing some adjustments to the code to allow it to be used universally for firing any kind of unit...this will make attacking easier to program.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Sep 2009 11:35:00 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I established that I was going pure ASM.

Sorry, my fault.

3-4 app pages is big, but there is bigger, I've seen games of far greater size. Don't worry.
ztrumpet

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 09:42:25 pm    Post subject:

This is looking cool.
I like the Scouter...
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 11:00:22 pm    Post subject:

Hot Dog, how soon you need those map sprites for programming purposes? I'm still having a little trouble, I'm trying to make them look natural.

Could you blow up the 8x8 to 4x and use those temporarily?
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 11:26:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Hot Dog, how soon you need those map sprites for programming purposes? I'm still having a little trouble, I'm trying to make them look natural.

Could you blow up the 8x8 to 4x and use those temporarily?

That's a good idea...I am finding other things to do in the meantime (as you can tell by my signature), but if I ever reach a point where I absolutely need to use tiles, I will blow up the 8x8 tiles.

I really do appreciate you taking the time and the effort to make the tiles more natural Smile
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 01:05:08 am    Post subject:

It's both my pleasure and my honor to welcome and announce the newest member to our development team, Buckeye Dude. With his knowledge in assembly language, he will be helping with the programming of S.A.D.

I also want to take the time to thank Eeems for helping with structure designing. I really appreciate your help, Eeems, because I was completely out of ideas.
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 05:01:30 pm    Post subject:

np, which reminds me...I should get back to helping.....
Razz
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 11:13:36 pm    Post subject:

Metagross, do you have a gmail account? We set up a project website on Google Code.

More progress. Although most of my time is spent planning, I managed to squeeze in time to work on an additional two buildings:

[attachment=2929:Quantum_Facility.GIF]

[attachment=2930:Automati..._Complex.GIF]

The first is a Quantum Facility. A Quantum Facility is not a prerequisite for being able to select a Balkstone, but a Quantum Facility does all the research for a Balkstone.

The second building is an ACC, short for Automatic-Construction Complex. Since a Scouter can't be everywhere at once, an ACC will build anything a Scouter can build, but only within a certain radius. A note on construction...the gameplay of S.A.D. requires/allows buildings, even Operation Centers, to be constructed in 5 seconds. Because of this, and to improve performance, only one structure can be built at a time, whether via Scouter or ACC.

Last edited by Guest on 23 Nov 2009 03:17:43 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 04:00:46 pm    Post subject:

ehh, i'm not sure i have one. i'll just give yu the tiles here when I finish them.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Sep 2009 05:19:40 pm    Post subject:

Work on S.A.D. continues to progress, slowly but surely. A hugh amount of thanks goes to Buckeye Dude for his help...since I've just started getting used to ASM, he's given me a lot of aid in making my instructions more efficient.

I did what I should have done in the first place and created a draft of the entire program layout, save AI players and the campaign (which will be added if all goes well). Now that this is taken care of, I've started work on the Main Menu. Here's the official splash screen for the game:

[attachment=2819:Main_Splash_Screen.GIF]

Last edited by Guest on 19 Sep 2009 05:20:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Sep 2009 06:12:45 pm    Post subject:

wow! that looks awesome!
kind of reminds me a little bid of starwars, but just slightly
dxfan101010

Posted: 19 Sep 2009 07:04:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
wow! that looks awesome!
kind of reminds me a little bid of starwars, but just slightly

I agree this project is coming together pretty fast.
ztrumpet

Posted: 20 Sep 2009 01:44:19 pm    Post subject:

That's cool!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 11 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement