This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
quentin

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 10:25:07 am    Post subject:

[EDIT]I've now sorted the ROM dump issue. This thread has moved on to trying to get an assembler to work on my computer.[/EDIT]

Hi,

I've recently been playing around with my old TI-83+ SE and decided I'd like to experiment writing some stuff in the z80 assembly language for it. However, as my computer runs Mac OS X, it has been somewhat difficult finding the necessary resources that work.

I've managed to find an assembler (TASM, which I can run using DOSBox), and an emulator (WabbitEmu), but I'm having some difficulty getting a ROM dump to make the latter work, as everything seems to be geared towards Windows and DOS. I've tried romdump.exe (as recommended on the ticalc.org page on emulators) and rom8x.exe, but neither run on either DOSBox or WINE. Is there anything else I can use?

While I'm here, is there anything else I need?

Last edited by Guest on 24 Aug 2009 09:05:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madskillz

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 12:26:09 pm    Post subject:

You could try TiLP to get a rom dump.

http://lpg.ticalc.org/prj_tilp/macosx.html
quentin

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 02:08:15 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. It's working now.

If only I could get TASM to assemble something now. It's throwing up errors even when I try to assemble its own included test files, and giving me "source file open errors" on everything else! Perhaps it's something to do with running it on DOSBox. Oh well...
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 04:17:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure that SPASM is multi-platform...
Taricorp

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 07:02:01 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:

That, or Brass will run in Mono.
quentin

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 07:34:15 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:

OK. I've downloaded Spasm (spasm_mac.zip, from here) and created a directory in my home folder containing the spasm_powerpc32 file, renamed to "spasm", the code I want to compile (hello.asm, copied and pasted from the first lesson of Sean McLaughlin's guide, so it should be valid), the TASM80.TAB file, and the ti83plus.inc file (here):

Code:
$ ls -al
total 720
drwxr-xr-x   8 quentin  quentin    272 Aug 24 01:22 .
drwxr-xr-x   40 quentin  quentin   1360 Aug 24 01:22 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 quentin  quentin   6148 Aug 24 01:22 .DS_Store
-rwxr-xr-x   1 quentin  quentin   23045 May 25  1999 TASM80.TAB
-rw-r--r--   1 quentin  quentin    319 Aug 23 17:58 hello.asm
-rw-r--r--   1 quentin  quentin    319 Aug 23 17:15 hello.z80
-rwxr-xr-x   1 quentin  quentin  203408 Nov  9  2008 spasm
-rw-r--r--   1 quentin  quentin  119381 Aug 23 22:33 ti83plus.inc

(hello.z80 is exactly the same as hello.asm, but with the extension changed). Yet when I'm in the directory in Terminal I just get

Code:
$ spasm hello.asm hello.8xp
-bash: spasm: command not found

or

Code:
$ ./spasm hello.asm hello.8xp
Bus error

(replacing .asm with .z80 makes no difference, nor do variations such as "spasm hello", "./spasm hello.asm", etc.). This seems to be exactly the same problem as "hello" was having in this old thread here on another forum. I've also tried assembling the star.asm file (here) mentioned there, with the same results. All in all, Spasm doesn't seem to be doing any better than TASM so far.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Guest on 23 Aug 2009 07:35:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spencer

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 07:50:14 pm    Post subject:

I highly recommend Will's wabbitcode. It contains a port of SPASM and Wabbitemu.

http://code.google.com/p/wabbitcode/
quentin

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 08:06:34 pm    Post subject:

Spencer wrote:
I highly recommend Will's wabbitcode. It contains a port of SPASM and Wabbitemu.

http://code.google.com/p/wabbitcode/

Wow, that looks fantastic, but unfortunately I'm only on 10.4.11 and it says it requires 10.5.5. :(

Until I upgrade my OS, though, is there any way I can make what I've got — i.e. SPASM or TASM running on DOSBox — work?
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 08:25:57 pm    Post subject:

I'd try either Brass+Mono or Spasm+Darwine, one of those two should work.
quentin

Posted: 24 Aug 2009 09:03:27 pm    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
I'd try either Brass+Mono or Spasm+Darwine, one of those two should work.

It turns out that the only available version of Darwine for PPC that I could find (0.9.27) is unable to run .exe files (as it quite clearly says in the documentation, which I somehow missed). However, I don't understand why Spasm shouldn't work without Darwine.

Anyway, I downloaded and installed Mono and Brass but I'm struggling a bit trying to work out how to actually use the latter. Mono is working fine it seems but when I open Brass I get

Code:
$ mono Brass.exe
Usage: Brass ProjectFile
Running in interactive calculator mode. Type exit to quit.

>

and I'm unsure how to get from here to actually assembling my hello.asm file. I've had a quick look in the documentation, but haven't managed to find anything relevant. I know I'm not really asking in the right place, but does anyone have any idea what to do?

(Incidentally, when I run "mono ProjectBuilder.exe", Mono actually opens up the ProjectBuilder application in GUI form, but I have no idea what to do with this, if anything, and I can't read the Help docs, because OS X has got into its head that all .exe files are to be opened by Darwine — which, as mentioned above, doesn't work — and I can't seem to change this default.)

Or maybe I should just upgrade to Leopard (or Snow Leopard) and use the IDE Spencer mentioned…

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement