This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
ztrumpet

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 11:34:36 am    Post subject:

I was wondering why you get ram clears when you garbage collect with hidden programs.
This "glitch" has caused me to stop hiding programs.
Also, are there any OS patches that cause garbage collecting to be "safe" ?
Thanks
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 12:21:39 pm    Post subject:

This should only happen if you hide them while they are archived, because this causes the name in RAM and the name in ROM to differ. When Garbage Collection is moving stuff around in the ROM, it expects the name in ROM to be in RAM as well.
ztrumpet

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 12:42:36 pm    Post subject:

That's wierd, but it makes sense.
Is there any way to hide a program in archive and garbage collect?
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 01:35:42 pm    Post subject:

If you unarchive it before you hide it, then rearchive it, it should be fine. (Same goes for renaming programs in general)
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 01:42:50 pm    Post subject:

why hide programs? I always wondered this. Is it simply to keep the program screen uncluttered or do people actually think this secures them? I'm just curious, cause I never saw much point in hiding things :/
ztrumpet

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 02:19:23 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:
If you unarchive it before you hide it, then rearchive it, it should be fine. (Same goes for renaming programs in general)

So if I don't hide/rename something when it's archived, I'm good?

metagross111 wrote:
why hide programs? I always wondered this. Is it simply to keep the program screen uncluttered or do people actually think this secures them? I'm just curious, cause I never saw much point in hiding things :/

I did it to unclutter things.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 02:46:47 pm    Post subject:

oh, k
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement