This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Jul 2009 12:41:48 am    Post subject:

Random fact of the day (or middle-of-the-night as the case may be): apparently OS 1.91 on the TI-73 raises the limit on the number of installed apps. Older OSes had a limit of 8 app pages; this new OS apparently allows you to use a full 12.

That's two more than the 83+ BE. Go figure.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Jul 2009 08:55:17 am    Post subject:

12 apps? That's weird. But cool, I guess.
Galandros

Posted: 03 Aug 2009 02:03:36 pm    Post subject:

Cool or just a big bug?
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 01:38:55 am    Post subject:

I never noticed this, but it's also not at all surprising. The 73 OS has two Flash "swap sectors", if you will, which is entirely unnecessary. One could be dedicated to storing applications, and apparently it is now.

This probably has something to do with the fact that OS 1.91 explicitly sets the Flash execution permissions (meaning disabling all of them) (via ports 05h and 16h), and the previous OSes don't.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 11:42:50 pm    Post subject:

...port 5? Are you sure? I didn't think the 73 had a port 5.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 01:44:19 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure it does, yes. The 83+ has one, it's just not used for swapping RAM pages.

I'd have to look again to make absolutely sure, but I do know that the mystery on http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=83Plus:Ports:16 applies to the 73. Its Flash execution protection is sector-based.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 05:05:18 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I'm familiar with port 5 on the 83+. If, as I was assuming, the Flash protection is sector-based, port 5 shouldn't be necessary at all (there are only 11 sectors total, and only 7 of them conceivably worth protecting.) As far as I can tell, from the boot code versions I've seen, all you need to do is output a mask of disabled sectors to port 16.

(Of course, it's an entirely different question whether the 73 hardware has a link assist, as the 83+ does. I don't know the answer to that.)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement