This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Dec 2003 10:07:00 pm    Post subject:

Part of the program I'm working on requires to I use jump tables for size optimization reasons. The trouble with this is that I can't seem to get the "jp (hl)" instruction to function without crashing. Not even the opcode ($E9) works. What gives?

This is what I have to use instead:

Code:
ld hl,address    ; Address to jump into
ld e,(hl)           ; Low byte first
inc hl
ld d,(hl)           ; High byte last
push de
ret                  ; Jump

address:
.dw the_beginning
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Dec 2003 01:46:19 pm    Post subject:

what about:
ld hl,address
push hl
pop ix
ld hl,(ix)
push hl
ret
address:
.dw the_beginning
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Dec 2003 05:18:56 pm    Post subject:

How about

Code:
ld hl,address  ; Address to jump into
bcall(_LdHLInd)
jp (hl)          ; Jump

address:
.dw the_beginning

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2003 05:19:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Dec 2003 09:36:32 pm    Post subject:

Well, the replacement code seems to work enough, I'm just curious as to why "jp (hl)" doesn't seem to be supported.

BTW, what exactly does bcall(_LdHLInd) do? (I'm guessing it swaps both bytes at <address>).
sic

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 03 Dec 2003 11:05:09 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
BTW, what exactly does bcall(_LdHLInd) do?  (I'm guessing it swaps both bytes at <address>).

wrong.. it's essentially this:
ld hl,(hl)

I'm pretty sure that if you dissasembled that ROM call the code would look something like this:

Code:
 push af
 ld a,(hl)
 inc hl
 ld h,(hl)
 ld l,a
 pop af
 ret

And jp (hl) works essentially like this:

ld hl,myaddr
jp (hl) ; will jump to myaddr:

myaddr:

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2003 11:06:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Dec 2003 10:39:27 pm    Post subject:

I decided to do a little detective work and I found out the problem does involve swapped bytes. So a routine:

Code:
 ld hl,address
 jp hl,(hl)
address:
.dw the_beginning

...could only work if the value "the_beginning" was an address like "$0000" or "$8282" where byte order doesn't matter. What still puzzles me is why it wouldn't work for TI82 while it's clearly supported on other models. But I guess that doesn't really matter.

Quote:
wrong.. it's essentially this:
ld hl,(hl)

Actually, 'mostly right' since all it's really doing is swapping bytes in the pointer (low byte to H high byte to L. TI-82 uses a similar, unnamed routine called "ROM_CALL($0033-$1A)" (-$1A for ROM v19.0 only), so I'm using it for now as a low-speed alternative.
Job the GameQuitter

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 09:54:18 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Part of the program I'm working on requires to I use jump tables for size optimization reasons.  The trouble with this is that I can't seem to get the "jp (hl)" instruction to function without crashing.  Not even the opcode ($E9) works.  What gives?

This is what I have to use instead:

Code:
ld hl,address    ; Address to jump into
ld e,(hl)          ; Low byte first
inc hl
ld d,(hl)          ; High byte last
push de
ret                  ; Jump

address:
.dw the_beginning

You probably misinterpreted what JP (HL) did. I did that initially. JP (HL) doesn't jump to the value stored in (HL) and (HL+1), but to the value in HL. To give an example in code:

Code:
 LD HL,adress
JP (HL)
is effectively the same as
Code:
 LD HL,adress
 PUSH HL
 RET
Except that it's smaller and faster Smile.

Although I don't know your code I doubt a jump table will be much of an optimization over using the regular CALL and JR/JP instruction. I can give you some code which might do what you had in mind though:

Code:
;input: B = adress in the adress table, so B=3 means you'll get the third adress in the table

LD HL,adress_table-2
 LD DE,2
find_adress_loop
 ADD HL,DE
 DJNZ find_adress_loop
 Call HL_Ind
 JP (HL)

HL_Ind:
 LD A,(HL)
 INC HL
 LD H,(HL)
 LD L,A
 ret

adress_table:
 .dw adress1
 .dw adress2
 .dw adress3
 etc
I made that up on the spot, with no Z80 reference or anything, so don't blame me if it doesn't work the way it should. That said, I think this code does pretty much exactly what you had in mind, although I don't see how it would be efficient in any circumstance. If you want more info on jump tables and such, try day 23 of sigma's 28-days tutorial.

EDIT: Thanks for the link, Randroid.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Dec 2003 06:41:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 09:56:30 am    Post subject:

the tutorial is uploaded here
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 05:05:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
You probably misinterpreted what JP (HL) did. I did that initially. JP (HL) doesn't jump to the value stored in (HL) and (HL+1), but to the value in HL.

Ack! That explains everything! I guess the program was crashing because it was jumping into the table instead of the address at the table. I havent tested the new code yet, but I'm guessing its gonna work now that the mystery's solved. Thanks, guys.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement