This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Jun 2009 04:41:43 pm    Post subject:

I acquired a Dell OptiPlex GX150 that works quite well, but it desperately needs a performance boost.

It appears to have one 256mb stick of 133 MHz SDRAM, and an open DIMM slot. Other tech info here.

Am I understanding correctly that it will only support up to 512 MB? (And I should probably do so with two 256 sticks?)

What RAM is backwards compatible with this?

In short, what are my options for upgrading, and what does everyone recommend?

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 02:02:16 am    Post subject:

It's generally best to match ram. In this case, you would get another 256 stick of 133 mhz sdram. Also, make sure that they either both have chips on one side only, or they both have chips on both sides of the stick. I made this mistake the first time I bought ram, and had to pay a restocking fee to get the correct type.
panyan

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 11:34:52 am    Post subject:

magicdanw wrote:
It's generally best to match ram.

i second that !
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Jun 2009 10:58:26 pm    Post subject:

Although it should POST with 100 MHZ SD RAM, that would slow it down.

YOu need to buy SDRAM 133, which is overly expensive. Why did you buy a Pentium 3 computer anyway?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement