This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Jun 2009 07:04:26 pm    Post subject:

So my computers won't connect to the internet anymore. Both of them, and my mom's too. It's not a problem with the computers themselves, because a) it would be weird for all three of them to stop working at the same time, and b) I'm able to connect to other wireless networks other than mine. And it's not just wireless. My desktop uses a wired connection, and it's not working either. I've checked my router settings, and there's nothing blocking my computers from accessing the network. The weird part is that for the wireless connection (my laptop), the network icon in the system tray says I'm getting a strong signal, and it says "Local and Internet Access". But when I open a browser, it won't load any pages. I've restarted the router a few times, and the connection works for a couple minutes, but then it's gone again. My dad thinks it may be something to do with our cable company (Time Warner). Is he right, or do I need a new router?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: I just realized I accidentally put an apostrophe in the topic name. My OCD is mad at me.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Jun 2009 07:06:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Jun 2009 07:09:41 pm    Post subject:

we have this happen sometimes at our house, have you tried to reboot your router? that might work
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jun 2009 11:54:40 pm    Post subject:

I don't know what OS's you have. But you could check it see if IPv6 was recently enabled and turn it off if so.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 05 Jun 2009 04:38:40 am    Post subject:

Mabe check your DNS settings in your router?

Are you able to ping 118.215.115.19? (On windows: start->run->ping 118.215.115.19)

See if you get a reply.
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jun 2009 08:13:26 am    Post subject:

Eeems wrote:
we have this happen sometimes at our house, have you tried to reboot your router? that might work

I've tried rebooting it a few times. Nothing changes.

DigiTan wrote:
I don't know what OS's you have. But you could check it see if IPv6 was recently enabled and turn it off if so.

My laptop and runs Windows 7 Ultimate (currently the beta), my mom's computer is Vista Home Premium, and my desktop runs Ubuntu 9.04. And IPv6 isn't enabled. I'm using IPv4.

tr1p1ea wrote:
Mabe check your DNS settings in your router?

Are you able to ping 118.215.115.19? (On windows: start->run->ping 118.215.115.19)

See if you get a reply.

I don't get any response pinging. I can ping my router and other computers in my house from any of them, but pinging anything else gets nothing.

Edit: I just had an error pop up on my laptop that said there was an IP address conflict. I don't know why it didn't show me this earlier. I turned off my laptop's wireless card, and now my other computers work. So that problem's solved, but I have no idea why there was the conflict in the first place. All the computers in my house use DHCP, so there shouldn't have been a problem.

Last edited by Guest on 05 Jun 2009 08:16:33 am; edited 1 time in total
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 05 Jun 2009 09:55:58 am    Post subject:

Its total gridlock man!
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jun 2009 11:25:49 am    Post subject:

Have you checked the cabling yet?
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jun 2009 11:59:18 am    Post subject:

Mapar007 wrote:
Have you checked the cabling yet?

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the cables. For some reason DHCP got messed up, and assigned the same IP address to all my computers.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Jun 2009 11:08:27 pm    Post subject:

Don't you have 1337 skillz? haha Try checking to make sure that the DHCP server somehow isn't set to a range of one ip address. I'm not familiar with Time Warner's setup to guide you accurately though. If the DHCP server seems "fine", try setting up static IP addresses.

Edit: Or does the above post mean you fixed it?

Last edited by Guest on 06 Jun 2009 11:09:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2009 07:51:58 am    Post subject:

I have got it fixed now. I traced the problem to my laptop. That was the one that was setting duplicate IP addresses. I'm just not sure why it did so. It's not set for any specific range, other than the first three numbers are the same, but that's normal, and I've never had any problems before now.
Time Warner may be screwing with us since we switched to DirecTV for our television. Razz
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement