This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Jun 2009 04:56:24 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='TI-newb' post='133913' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:17 AM']Hey! Newbie. i like ur name =D XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD[/quote]

HAHAHA thanks. Decided to get the original spelling while I could. That and it was the truth of what I was when I joined this site. :biggrin:
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jul 2009 08:01:21 pm    Post subject:

This is interesting. The associated press announced this morning the unemployment figures for June were already at a staggering 9.5%. (Contrary to the "bottoming out" the Federal Reserve was announcing as of late). Wall Street is predicting this will rise to 9.6% by month's end.

So what's not adding up here? Well, this story got me thinking of those projection curves Bush, Obama, and Congress were showing off in January about how sky-high unemployment would be without their little TARP experiment. So I found the orginal (see page 4) as it was shown on TV, and today's unemployment actually surpassed their "without TARP" projection by a 1.5%! In other words, TARP's big sales pitch was that it would prevent unemployment from topping 8%. And so far, it's failed miserably.

That's actually not what bothers me. What bothers me is that I haven't seen one major news network is covering this angle. It's as if they all just mentally suspended all expectations of this program and decided to just go with the flow while millions are out of work.

Well, in other news, I found this neat graphic in the process: What does One Trillion Dollars Look Like?

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jul 2009 08:03:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
whyat least3

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 09:29:08 am    Post subject:

Anyway what do you think of the health care plan and his recent ideas to due.
I kinda like that but maybe a few changes to it would be nice.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 08:23:11 pm    Post subject:

Well yeah. With unemployment nearing 10% this health proposal has voters questioning whether he's got his priorities straight.

That said, I've read some of HR 3200. Firstly, it's enormous. Many of its agencies, commissions, and administrations will be created out of thin air--which means we've no idea what they'll really cost once the system has to perform. Then there's the insurance exchange: which is touted as a competitive pool of insurance options. That seems like a good idea. But ask yourself, when the government competes in the very exchange it created and controls, how will private agencies compete? Would it allow itself it lose? It doesn't take much cynicism to see how this creates a system that can be vastly exploited by any number of influential groups...even if their intentions are good. Under this plan, the government could easily revise the exchange's eligibility rules to undercut any company it chooses. The president could do to any insurer what Tricare just did to Humana and Health Net. Only without a bidding process.

Second, voters have serious doubts over the government's competence in general. It wouldn't take long for the new system to go over-budget and be amended to consume billions more. This isn't just my opinion: it's already happened to VA Health Care, Social Security, No Child Left Behind, Homeland Security, even Amtrak. Maybe I mis-read things, but I couldn't even find a provisions to help lower the cost of clinical drugs or equipment. Things you'd expect to find there.

And third, the federal deficit is almost bigger than our GDP. It's like Mr Creosote from Monty Python, only the mint goes up for a vote first.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Aug 2009 08:37:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
maggielwo

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 01:04:47 pm    Post subject:

I have another rhymin' poem. Well it's actually lyrics from black eyed peas where's the love: :biggrin:

What's wrong with the world, mama
People livin' like they ain't got no mamas
I think the whole world addicted to the drama
Only attracted to things that'll bring you trauma
Overseas, yeah, we try to stop terrorism
But we still got terrorists here livin'
In the USA, the big CIA
The Bloods and The Crips and the KKK
But if you only have love for your own race
Then you only leave space to discriminate
And to discriminate only generates hate
And when you hate then you're bound to get irate, yeah
Madness is what you demonstrate
And that's exactly how anger works and operates
Man, you gotta have love just to set it straight
Take control of your mind and meditate
Let your soul gravitate to the love, y'all, y'all

People killin', people dyin'
Children hurt and hear them cryin'
Can you practice what you preach
Would you turn the other cheek
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 06:20:37 pm    Post subject:

Well, Obama recently reinstated Ben Bernanke as head of the federal reserve. Despite the fact that unemployment is worse than Obama himself predicted last winter.

It looks like we can expect business as usual in terms of the dollar decline and overall economy. To get an idea of what I'm getting at: when I was in highschool, the Euro came out at about 2/3rd the vaule of one dollar. Barely over a decade later, it's nearly the other way around--this is controlled by the Fed. Also, for our friends across the Atlantic I'd keep an eye on this too. A lot of Eurozone nations (and to a larger extent: China) buy up dollars and U.S. Treasuries as a reserve currency, and stand to come up on the loosing end unless there's a drastic reversal of the Fed's love of inflation.

A compilation of Bernanke's statements:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ79Pt2GNJo

Last edited by Guest on 26 Aug 2009 06:25:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
whyat least3

Posted: 30 Aug 2009 07:16:53 am    Post subject:

Nice poem Maggie, and for Digatan, who the hell was the dumbass to allow such a thing to buy reserve currency not releasing the loss of what it will do and also one last thing why does the government think printing more money will be better it will only make it worse, how, it will make the money worth less and less as there is now more of it, they need to keep a good balance not too much or too little.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Aug 2009 07:54:06 am    Post subject:

What gets me is how those big auto companies "couldn't" fail, so we poured trillions of dollars into them, and guess what. They still failed. You can't jus throw out money, and hope someone does the right thing.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Aug 2009 01:49:11 pm    Post subject:

whyat least3 wrote:
Nice poem Maggie, and for Digatan, who the hell was the dumbass to allow such a thing to buy reserve currency not releasing the loss of what it will do and also one last thing why does the government think printing more money will be better it will only make it worse, how, it will make the money worth less and less as there is now more of it, they need to keep a good balance not too much or too little.

I think the US Treasury and Federal Reserve have a lot to gain for themselves by making the dollar weak. Mainly, each dollar printed (paper, coin, credit, etc.) can't just be handed out to the public these days. It has to move through the reserve banking structure and essentially be borrowed out of the system. Since bank loans have to be repaid with interest, the federal government can actually turn an impressive profit by printing money for these bailouts. Moreover, this interest can only be payed back in dollars, forcing us to have more dollars printed to avoid loan default, foreclosure, etc. So each event triggers the next in a never-ending cycle. If this theory is true (and it IS just a theory), it would explain why we "had to" approve these multi-billion dollar rescue programs now that interest rates are almost zero. And why have "have to" have government health care, rather than simply make health care cheaper.

Graphmastur wrote:
What gets me is how those big auto companies "couldn't" fail, so we poured trillions of dollars into them, and guess what. They still failed. You can't jus throw out money, and hope someone does the right thing.

Yep. Luckily, I think that slip-up has people questioning the competence of Washington in general, rather than just republicans--who have made themselves easy targets since Iraq. Obama's corporate policy seems to do more with which companies are well-connected than actual long-term survivability. Worse: despite the bankruptcies and unemployment beyond his own predictions, he's still convinced himself he did the right thing.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Aug 2009 01:58:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Aug 2009 01:57:08 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Graphmastur wrote:

Yep. Luckily, I think that slip-up has people questioning the competence of Washington in general, rather than just republicans--who have made themselves easy targets since Iraq. Obama's corporate policy seems to do more with which companies are well-connected that actual long-term survivability. What's worse: despite the bankruptcies and unemployment beyond his own predictions, he's still convinced himself he did the right thing.

How far has his approval rating gone down?

Last edited by Guest on 30 Aug 2009 02:01:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Aug 2009 01:59:05 pm    Post subject:

I think it's in the mid 50's. (from Rasmussen)

Last edited by Guest on 30 Aug 2009 02:00:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
whyat least3

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 03:46:43 pm    Post subject:

I know its kind of last week but what do you think of his speech he made.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 04:05:45 pm    Post subject:

I kinda wanted to stay out of this topic, but I have to give you guys my opinion here....

whyat least3, that poem is terrible.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 11:21:54 pm    Post subject:

metagross111 wrote:
whyat least3, that poem is terrible.

D'oh! :P

The school speech? I haven't seen the transcripts yet.
whyat least3

Posted: 19 Sep 2009 09:18:19 am    Post subject:

not the school speech but the prime time announcement about the health care plan that lasted about an hour
whyat least3

Posted: 10 Oct 2009 11:20:36 am    Post subject:

Does Obama really deserve the Noble Peace Prize?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Oct 2009 01:49:01 pm    Post subject:

No, but it would be a major faux pas on the part of the Nobel committee to award the prize to Jonathan Favreau.
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 13 Oct 2009 08:30:42 pm    Post subject:

Promises promises nothin but promises all i ever hea from him is promises and i dont even want what hes promising so its a good thing its all i hear
whyat least3

Posted: 14 Oct 2009 04:18:11 pm    Post subject:

so much for change, ITS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 14 Oct 2009 04:33:16 pm    Post subject:

people say they want change but humans are naturally resistant to change
also change doesnt just happen over night, its something you have to work towards

this is something i find funny though mccains platform had to do majorily with the war in iraq
then all of a sudden the economy started to fail
obamas platform had to do mostly with the economy already
so all of a sudden americas focus shifted from the war to the economy
obama already had a head start while Mccain had to struggle to keep up
unless im wrong about obamas preeconomy problem platform you gotta admit...
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement