Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
Author Message
whyat least3


Newbie


Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 23

Posted: 16 May 2009 11:35:11 am    Post subject:

Negative poem about him

Obama is black on the outside
but is white on the inside
he thinks he knows what is best for the U.S.
but look at all the mess
people had great belief
but wonder when is there going to be relief
they thought of him as the best president
but he is nothing but as regular resident
when people finally realized he wasn't the one
but too late the damage was already done
sadly he had won
but people still cheer on
we can't wait til his final day
when he finally goes away
we will have a great celebration
because of the next inauguration
hopefully the next president will heal the nation
everyone is fed up and tired of this awful devastation
Back to top
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |


Super Elite (Last Title)


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 8328

Posted: 16 May 2009 12:49:41 pm    Post subject:

I hate the widespread belief that poems don't have to be capitalized or punctuated. Also, "outside" and "inside" don't rhyme.
Back to top
benryves


Active Member


Joined: 23 Feb 2006
Posts: 564

Posted: 17 May 2009 07:08:02 am    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Also, "outside" and "inside" don't rhyme.
News to me...
Back to top
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |


Super Elite (Last Title)


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 8328

Posted: 17 May 2009 10:20:18 am    Post subject:

Well, not in the classical way, at least. The stressed syllables are "out" and "in", respectively, which don't rhyme. Even considered as a half-rhyme, it's poor since the origin of the "side" syllables is the same: it's like rhyming a word with itself.
Back to top
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ


Super Elite (Last Title)


Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 3976

Posted: 17 May 2009 11:18:15 am    Post subject:

Critics are wiseguys—
they think they know the way, but
can they drive the car?

A sculpture is made!
Sadly, there will always be
someone to trash it

Good versus evil:
easy to see in ourselves
which one will prevail


Last edited by Guest on 17 May 2009 11:21:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
whyat least3


Newbie


Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 23

Posted: 20 May 2009 05:23:09 am    Post subject:

Fine complain about that technical rhyme, here is another about the government.

America is suppose to be the melting pot
but all I see is a racist plot
The government tries to do whatever they can
so they decide to invade Pakistan
They said they were there to give a helping hand
but all they wanted to do was to dig oil in their sand
People come home from work tired and soar
then get frustrated from the money wasted on the war
As the economy makes people poorer and poorer
Now they decide to blame everybody south of the border
They don't care where their from, they assume their from Mexico
Even though it is the fault of the C.E.O's
In the end, the world will die in a nuclear holocaust because of the U.S.
The world will join sides and fight for this mess
The radiation and the money will be the only things to go green
Now the red blood from everybody is left to be seen
No body knows when this plan is to be due
Sadly what I say is true


Last edited by Guest on 20 May 2009 05:26:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Galandros


Active Member


Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 565

Posted: 21 May 2009 10:06:37 am    Post subject:

Why share negative poems?

I don't get it. :S
Back to top
whyat least3


Newbie


Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 23

Posted: 21 May 2009 04:18:08 pm    Post subject:

why not, who is to say poems are suppose to be joyful and happy, many aren't that way.

Last edited by Guest on 21 May 2009 04:23:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ


Super Elite (Last Title)


Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 3976

Posted: 21 May 2009 06:40:37 pm    Post subject:

When someone's already convinced themselves that somebody else is a terrorist, there's no convincing them otherwise. This was passed to me a short while ago:

Name Withheld wrote:
I unequivocally can't let Weregoose's misinformation and misguided arguments about terrorism go by without comment. Let me cut to the chase: Weregoose's antihumanist attempt to construct a creative response to my previous letter was absolutely pitiful. Really, Weregoose, stringing together a bunch of solecistic insults and seemingly random babble is hardly effective. It simply proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that when I observe his satraps' behavior, I can't help but recall the proverbial expression, "monkey see, monkey do". That's because, like Weregoose, they all want to reduce our modern, civilized, industrialized society to a state of mindless, primitive barbarism. Also, while a monkey might think that divine ichor flows through Weregoose's veins, the fact remains that he claims that the ancient Egyptians used psychic powers to build the pyramids. That claim illustrates a serious reasoning fallacy, one that is pandemic in his whinges. Then again, if Weregoose had even a shred of intellectual integrity, he'd admit that it's indeed astounding that he has found a way to work the words "pseudoconglomeration" and "anthropomorphical" into his vaporings. However, you may find it even more astounding that one does not have to reap a harvest of death in order to encourage individuals to come out of their cocoons and flourish. It is a sordid person who believes otherwise.

Moving on, in a rather infamous speech, Weregoose exclaimed that brazen curmudgeons are all inherently good, sensitive, creative, and inoffensive. (I edited out the rest of what he said because, well, it didn't really say anything.) Before explaining why blathering miscreants cause insurmountable trouble for us, I must first search for solutions that are more creative and constructive than the typically gutless ones championed by dodgy rabble-rousers. He justifies his insecure, intrusive initiatives with fallacious logical arguments based on argumentum ad baculum. In case you're unfamiliar with the term, it means that if we don't accept Weregoose's claim that truth is merely a social construct then he will deny the obvious. I have a message for Weregoose. My message is that, for the good of us all, he should never create a daft world of guilt and shame. He should never even try to do such an irascible thing. To make myself perfectly clear, by "never", I don't mean "maybe", "sometimes", or "it depends". I mean only that Weregoose is a man utterly without honor, without principles, without a shred of genuine patriotism. That's why I say that I will never give up. I will never stop trying. And I will use every avenue possible to make Weregoose's damnable fairy tales understood, resisted, and made the object of deserved contempt by young and old alike.

Weregoose's beliefs (as I would certainly not call them logically reasoned arguments) have experienced a considerable amount of evolution (or perhaps more accurately, genetic drift) over the past few weeks. They used to be simply primitive. Now, not only are they both impractical and misinformed, but they also serve as unequivocal proof that Weregoose is squarely in favor of autism and its propensity to coordinate a revolution. This is so typical of Weregoose: he condemns bigotry and injustice except when it benefits him personally. Let me close by reminding you that the statements I made about Weregoose in this letter are in earnest. I will not equivocate. I will not excuse. I will not retreat a single inch. And I will be heard.

Gotcha!http://www.pakin.org/complaint/

But... the Egyptians really did have psychic powers... (Hmm, what's that en dash doing up there?)


Last edited by Guest on 21 May 2009 08:59:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Newbie


Bandwidth Hog


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 2247

Posted: 22 May 2009 04:20:09 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
I hate the widespread belief that poems don't have to be capitalized or punctuated. Also, "outside" and "inside" don't rhyme.


I think you're just attacking the poem, because you don't necessarily agree with what is being said. Poems don't need to follow a rhyming convention to be considered a poem, neither do they have to follow a rhythmic meter. Look at Emily Dickson's poems and you'll realize that they don't follow anything half the time. While your opinion should be respected I don't think you should attack him based on his. Many poets try to make words that don't rhyme rhyme in the effort that you the reader will just accept it.

benryves wrote:
DarkerLine wrote:
Also, "outside" and "inside" don't rhyme.
News to me...


That's what I was thinking as well.


Weregoose, as far as I can tell you're not a terrorist and probably shouldn't have wasted the time reading that long rant. A terrorist who on his spare time enjoys visiting a TI programming site? hahaha right. . . Well I guess it could happen (but highly unlikely) :ninja: What brought that up anyway?
Back to top
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |


Super Elite (Last Title)


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 8328

Posted: 22 May 2009 05:47:10 pm    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
DarkerLine wrote:
I hate the widespread belief that poems don't have to be capitalized or punctuated. Also, "outside" and "inside" don't rhyme.


I think you're just attacking the poem, because you don't necessarily agree with what is being said. Poems don't need to follow a rhyming convention to be considered a poem, neither do they have to follow a rhythmic meter. Look at Emily Dickson's poems and you'll realize that they don't follow anything half the time. While your opinion should be respected I don't think you should attack him based on his. Many poets try to make words that don't rhyme rhyme in the effort that you the reader will just accept it.

I realize that many people, including accepted poets, write poetry without respecting any sort of rhythm or rhyme. It doesn't mean I have to like it, and I don't. Normally, I would keep this opinion to myself, but given the location of the topic I saw no reason to restrain myself.

In my opinion, the real reason to write a poem is the challenge of willingly working in a set of conventions stricter than that of prose! Write something beautiful and people will admire it; write a beautiful poem and people will admire it and be impressed at the way you make the difficult look easy. If the form of a poem cannot be admired, only the content is left: and then it might as well have been prose. Also, I think of Emily Dickinson as a decent poet whose name gets misspelled all too often, and the form of her poetry can be admired. I see "they don't follow anything half the time" as either an insult to her work or a sign of having missed the mark entirely when reading it.

I realize that in political poetry the idea is not, in general, to make something beautiful. Here, the reason that people use the poetic form is to make something catchy that keeps the idea in your head, challenging your beliefs long after you've finished reading the poem. In this case, it is all the more important to stick with strict rules of rhythm and rhyme, because otherwise the entire effect is lost (unlike more conventional poetry, which can still be salvaged).
Back to top
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ


Super Elite (Last Title)


Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 3976

Posted: 22 May 2009 06:24:32 pm    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
Weregoose, as far as I can tell you're not a terrorist and probably shouldn't have wasted the time reading that long rant. A terrorist who on his spare time enjoys visiting a TI programming site? hahaha right. . . Well I guess it could happen (but highly unlikely) :ninja: What brought that up anyway?
En... dash... Highlight my last post. It'll tell you where it came from. Wink

Last edited by Guest on 22 May 2009 06:25:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Newbie


Bandwidth Hog


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 2247

Posted: 22 May 2009 07:22:30 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Newbie wrote:
DarkerLine wrote:
I hate the widespread belief that poems don't have to be capitalized or punctuated. Also, "outside" and "inside" don't rhyme.


I think you're just attacking the poem, because you don't necessarily agree with what is being said. Poems don't need to follow a rhyming convention to be considered a poem, neither do they have to follow a rhythmic meter. Look at Emily Dickson's poems and you'll realize that they don't follow anything half the time. While your opinion should be respected I don't think you should attack him based on his. Many poets try to make words that don't rhyme rhyme in the effort that you the reader will just accept it.

I realize that many people, including accepted poets, write poetry without respecting any sort of rhythm or rhyme. It doesn't mean I have to like it, and I don't. Normally, I would keep this opinion to myself, but given the location of the topic I saw no reason to restrain myself.

In my opinion, the real reason to write a poem is the challenge of willingly working in a set of conventions stricter than that of prose! Write something beautiful and people will admire it; write a beautiful poem and people will admire it and be impressed at the way you make the difficult look easy. If the form of a poem cannot be admired, only the content is left: and then it might as well have been prose. Also, I think of Emily Dickinson as a decent poet whose name gets misspelled all too often, and the form of her poetry can be admired. I see "they don't follow anything half the time" as either an insult to her work or a sign of having missed the mark entirely when reading it.

I realize that in political poetry the idea is not, in general, to make something beautiful. Here, the reason that people use the poetic form is to make something catchy that keeps the idea in your head, challenging your beliefs long after you've finished reading the poem. In this case, it is all the more important to stick with strict rules of rhythm and rhyme, because otherwise the entire effect is lost (unlike more conventional poetry, which can still be salvaged).


I should have proofread my post and I would have caught the misspelling. It was blatantly obvious.


Weregoose wrote:
Newbie wrote:
Weregoose, as far as I can tell you're not a terrorist and probably shouldn't have wasted the time reading that long rant. A terrorist who on his spare time enjoys visiting a TI programming site? hahaha right. . . Well I guess it could happen (but highly unlikely) :ninja: What brought that up anyway?
En... dash... Highlight my last post. It'll tell you where it came from. Wink


Erm, right of course. Whoops.
Back to top
Galandros


Active Member


Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 565

Posted: 23 May 2009 04:12:01 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
Gotcha! http://www.pakin.org/complaint/

What is better than complain? Complain without writing it. xD (complains will rise...)
Back to top
whyat least3


Newbie


Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 23

Posted: 30 May 2009 11:27:35 am    Post subject:

Another hypocrite, you do release you just wrote down another complain.
Back to top
theti86rules


Newbie


Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1

Posted: 30 May 2009 04:49:41 pm    Post subject:

Generally, I found that when people disagrees with someone's opinion or behaviour, they tend to criticize them on something else. If someone insults someone else, they will just get told to fix their grammar or spell. I think they do it to not start an argument on the initial offending post. In this case I think people found the poem offensive and provocative (since generally, when someone hates Obama it's because he's black but they don't want to admit it so they find another thing to bash him on), but they didn't want to respond with their disagreement in fear of triggering an argument, altough the poem itself *could* have triggered one.

Personally I won't criticise on the form, because I hate writing poems myself. I disagree with the content, though, because I think our president did a far better job than Bush did so far. Obama cannot be everywhere at once. He got elected in the middle of an economic crisis, nuclear threats and wars. Of course, this is subject to opinions. In politics, though, no matter how good a president would be, people would always find something to criticise them on.

Anyway I'm not too much active here (I mostly lurked on Revsoft and Omnimaga) but am I the only one to notice an increase in hostile members and hostility in general on United-TI? This is not good for the TI community I think, because it is very small
Back to top
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2


Super Elite (Last Title)


Joined: 10 Nov 2003
Posts: 4468

Posted: 30 May 2009 08:07:44 pm    Post subject:

There once was a man from Nantucket...aw screw it, I'm not in the mood. :D

I'm more disappointed with the American public for being so easily duped by the media. So far Obama's plans have only been foundationed on borrowing endless money streams and skyrocketing the national debt while the dollar craters. What people my age continually fail to "get" is that Washington is in deficit spending, ie: it has NO money! They can only create the illusion of wealth (TARP & TARP2, health care reforms) by borrowing credit at interest from of the central bank. Yet, anyone glued to the TV will get the impression that Obama is "giving us money" as someone on youtube once put it.

I do think he deserved to win the election however. Not because of race or his policies, but because the GOP became so drunk and stupid with power, it "needed" to feel a sobering loss.

That's enough negativity. On a positive spin, I have to commend his team on their diplomacy so far with the Russians and the EU. So far anyway. With all the missiles that seem to be flying this week, we need all the diplomacy we can get. But I won't put any stock in the man until after he gets us out of the middle east


Last edited by Guest on 30 May 2009 08:10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Galandros


Active Member


Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 565

Posted: 31 May 2009 01:22:08 pm    Post subject:

Well, America has no "real" money since many years ago...
And not all presidents cared enough to actually solve that.
That situation shouldn't be permanent. Who is willing to have a bank account always in negative?

Anyway, everything can be criticized. And to avoid nasty problems, always attack what the person is saying, not the person.
I hate when people at the first critic (when I critic is for their won sake and most certainly I am a right), they insult right away. Neutral
I don't answer to insults because they don't make any sense to me. And I don't know either to reply to insult. So it kind of works for them but they continue the same stupids ever or worst.

I can start a whole rant only because of that kind of people...


Last edited by Guest on 31 May 2009 01:25:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Newbie


Bandwidth Hog


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 2247

Posted: 01 Jun 2009 06:11:17 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
There once was a man from Nantucket...aw screw it, I'm not in the mood. :D

I'm more disappointed with the American public for being so easily duped by the media. So far Obama's plans have only been foundationed on borrowing endless money streams and skyrocketing the national debt while the dollar craters. What people my age continually fail to "get" is that Washington is in deficit spending, ie: it has NO money! They can only create the illusion of wealth (TARP & TARP2, health care reforms) by borrowing credit at interest from of the central bank. Yet, anyone glued to the TV will get the impression that Obama is "giving us money" as someone on youtube once put it.

I do think he deserved to win the election however. Not because of race or his policies, but because the GOP became so drunk and stupid with power, it "needed" to feel a sobering loss.

That's enough negativity. On a positive spin, I have to commend his team on their diplomacy so far with the Russians and the EU. So far anyway. With all the missiles that seem to be flying this week, we need all the diplomacy we can get. But I won't put any stock in the man until after he gets us out of the middle east



He's not taking us out of the Middle East. He's only putting us in there. Say hello to Afghanistan. Even if we did pull out of Iraq we'd only focus more on Afghanistan anyway.

Other than that I agree with you completely. People are stupid and hang on every word the media says as if it's the TRUTH.
Back to top
TI-newb


Member


Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Posts: 158

Posted: 01 Jun 2009 07:17:15 pm    Post subject:

Hey! Newbie. i like ur name =D XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are GMT - 5 Hours

 

Advertisement