This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Apr 2009 10:57:37 pm    Post subject:

I am just curious if any of you have allergies. If you do, where do you live, what are you allergic too, and how do you treat it?
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Apr 2009 11:02:45 pm    Post subject:

I am allergic to girls. I usually end up retreating to some geeky activity like computer programming to help overcome the reaction.

Besides, that, I am completely non-allergenic.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Apr 2009 11:34:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm very allergic to dust. The best treatment, I find, is to be outside as much as possible. Most allergy medicine dehydrates me and leaves me feeling worse off then I did before taking it, but when it gets really bad I just take some claritin and drink lots of water. The claritin has the bonus effect of helping me fall asleep which is hard to do when your allergies get particularly bad (weirdly enough, the nondrowsy makes it extremely difficult for me to stay awake).

I'm also slightly allergic to pineapple, but pineapple is kinda gross anyways.
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 12 Apr 2009 01:32:08 am    Post subject:

@Speler: That'd be weird, because Claritin does advertise itself as being non-sedating in the recommended doses:

Quote:
Unlike many other OTC antihistamines, Claritin (loratadine) is non-drowsy and does not carry restrictions on driving or operating heavy machinery. What's more, Claritin has once-daily dosing that lasts 24 hours. (Claritin-D® 12 Hour lasts 12 hours.)

But yeah, it actually causes you to become drowsy if you take lots of it enough.

+++++++++++++++

As for me, I'm allergic to at least two drugs. :(

thornahawk
Art_of_camelot

Posted: 12 Apr 2009 05:19:43 pm    Post subject:

I have pollen allergies and I live in North Carolina. I used to take a knock-off of claritin. Then I found a natural solution; I take a table spoon of raw honey once per day(someimes twice, evening and morning) starting right before and going through allergy season. It seems to help alot.
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 12 Apr 2009 07:36:19 pm    Post subject:

When I was younger I didn't really have to bad allergies, but it seems that as I get older my allergies get worse -- mostly pollen and the like.

Art_of_camelot wrote:
I have pollen allergies and I live in North Carolina. I used to take a knock-off of claritin. Then I found a natural solution; I take a table spoon of raw honey once per day(someimes twice, evening and morning) starting right before and going through allergy season. It seems to help alot.

Interesting, ehh.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Apr 2009 07:37:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Apr 2009 10:14:16 pm    Post subject:

I like Claritin a lot, but it makes me tired too though it does not cause any problems for me such as dry mouth. Surprisingly, Zyrtec makes me less tired than Claritin and works better; I think though it is kind of a waste of money at $1 a day when generic Claritin works 90% as well for about $1 a week.

I think I am allergic to pollen and will try that honey trick.
Art_of_camelot

Posted: 12 Apr 2009 11:16:47 pm    Post subject:

Just make sure it is raw (as in unprocessed). You should be able to find it at the grocery store. They have it in my area at least.
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 12:51:18 am    Post subject:

NETWizz wrote:
I like Claritin a lot, but it makes me tired too though it does not cause any problems for me such as dry mouth. Surprisingly, Zyrtec makes me less tired than Claritin and works better; I think though it is kind of a waste of money at $1 a day when generic Claritin works 90% as well for about $1 a week.

Yeah, all the old-school anti-allergy drugs cause drowsiness and dry mouth. Zyrtec is slightly less likely to cause nasty effects than Claritin, but if you can tolerate some discomfort in exchange for cash saved, it should be OK I guess. Otherwise, try comparing with Clarinex (which, coincidentally, is what Claritin turns into once inside the body), Allegra, or Tavist. All three are non-sedating as well. (Of course, ask your doc first before taking any of these!)

I've seen anecdotal reports on the honey cure. It may turn out cheaper (and better tasting!) than anti-allergy drugs. Won't hurt to try...

thornahawk
lordofthegeeks

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 04:01:48 am    Post subject:

Besides a slight allergy to dustmites and a random tree pollen I am fairly free of Allergies. Smile
many in my close family are not though.
My little bro is allergic to corn , fish , soy , tomatatos carrots,many of the tree and grass pollens. poor kid
Galandros

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 05:58:07 am    Post subject:

I am allergic to none as far as I know.
But maybe I am little allergic to some things, not sure because I don't know how we feel when allergic. xD

thornahawk wrote:
As for me, I'm allergic to at least two drugs. :(

thornahawk

That can be a hassle to medication and finding them could bring bad moments.

I never heard of those medicaments (Claritin,Zyrtec)
And that trick with honey... well I should tell to a friend of mine during spring. (now)
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 10:41:22 am    Post subject:

My family was coughing and sneezing for 4 or 5 years until we found out our walls were growing fur on the insides. The mold treatment guys had to take down just about every inside wall. Razz
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 11:16:32 am    Post subject:

@Galandros: I did say "at least" because I'm pretty sure I'd also be allergic to chemically related drugs as well. I can see it being a problem for one of those classes because there are no better alternatives for those... *sigh*

Also, those drugs may have a different brand name in Portugal, so you might have to look for them under their generic names first.

@DigiTan: Does it really get that humid where you live? Surprised To have a wall-full of fuzzies...

thornahawk
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 12:42:02 pm    Post subject:

The honey thing works best with locally produced honey as it's most likely to contain the pollen that you're reacting to. I also have pollen allerges.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 01:14:58 pm    Post subject:

thornahawk wrote:
@DigiTan: Does it really get that humid where you live? Surprised To have a wall-full of fuzzies...

thornahawk

Well we had this big flood in '91 that got a few inches of water in the house. When left for school in '01 and stopped sneezing we figured it was something in the building.

I usually take Allegra, but so far everything up here was too frozen to cause allergies.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 01:31:31 am    Post subject:

I take Zyrtec or Claritin. I cannot decide which is best, but I think Zyrtec is better... at least it lasts longer for me.

Claritin is by far the cheapest with the generic costing $4 for 30 days, no doctor, no insurance claims.

Anyone with alergies, read this Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loratadine and find Loratadine (Claritin) in your country. It may have a different name in different countries, but it is a very good place to start since it is not likely to cause side effects and will make you feel at least somewhat better for around 24 hours.

If I were in Canada, I would buy Desloratadine (Clarinex); since, it is the second generation of Claritin and available over the counter.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Apr 2009 01:35:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 03:14:26 pm    Post subject:

I have bad seasonal allergies.

Really bad.

Put it this way. My mom got me to mow the lawn (which is about 1/4th acres) on an overcast spring day, and my dad opened the windows in the house.

By the time I came back in I was literally crying because my eyes hurt so much, and I didn't stop until I'd closed all the windows and waited for an hour.

I've tried Claritin (and Claritin D, and Claritin Reditabs, other loratadine pills), Zyrtec, Allegra...none of them work particularly well, and they all make me drowsy to the point of me rather being sniffly and dazed instead of being so drowsy.
Galandros

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 04:21:50 pm    Post subject:

thornahawk wrote:
Also, those drugs may have a different brand name in Portugal, so you might have to look for them under their generic names first.

People like so many names... Someday there isn't good names for everything...
I never heard of any kind of drugs to allergies before.

Coincidence, today the discussion of "Sociedade Civil" (tv program) was allergies Razz
They told about taking the allergenic in relative large amounts can make the body gain tolerance to it.
Babies have one more super resistance: against allergies. And told several theories of early contact to animals and allergies.

The things I learn in a calc forum...
bfr

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 05:31:07 pm    Post subject:

Even though I eat healthy food, exercise, and try to get plenty of sleep every day, for some reason, it seems like if I wake up earlier than I normally would, such as with an alarm when I go to school, I often feel sick. I'll get eight or nine hours of sleep, which is probably plenty for most people, and yet I'll wake up sneezing and having a runny nose wherever I am up until about 11:00 (after waking up at around 8:00 and falling asleep around 11:00). I still might feel a little sick the rest of the day, but it's significantly better than in the morning.

Also, eating unhealthy food (like artificial sweets and stuff - I don't really mean fatty foods and stuff like hamburgers), especially if I have been woken up early, even something as small as a single doughnut, will sometimes make me feel sick (even if I haven't had anything else unhealthy in weeks).

This lasts all year, and I don't know why. My mom and doctor think it's because of allergies, but we're not sure what kind.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Apr 2009 05:33:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 07:51:30 pm    Post subject:

Right now I have a cough and a runny nose, which may or may not be caused by allergies... most likely it is, though.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement