This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 09:49:48 am    Post subject:

Since I didn't have access to my hi-school computer anymore (I go to the college now and no more Windows 98 Sad ) I have to use one with windows NT. But when I try to send prgms to my TI-83+ with any link software (I have tried all of them), it says: "Can't open the communication port", "Unable to open the communication port" or "error opening the com port" with all the serial COM ports. I have the serial link. I tried every help I found on the TI-FAQ and on a french forum and people could not help me (They're not skilled in this area and are always playing to Ztetris Neutral ). Can someone help me please, or email me to [email=k.ouellet4@caramail.com]k.ouellet4@caramail.com[/email]???

*EDIT* one final note: it's the only computer I have access.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Nov 2003 09:50:37 am; edited 1 time in total
SnugenZ

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 11:54:57 am    Post subject:

I feel bad that no one is replying -- So heres the checklist ....

Lbl A

* Is ur calc on
* Is the cable firmy into the proper port -- screwed in and everything
* Are you using the latest verson of TI_Graphlink (found at education.ti.com -- I believe)
* Is it the serial cable or the black cable -- If it is the black cable you need to do some adjusting
*Uhm -- If I think of any more I will edit this post -- In conclusion this last step should redirect you to step one =D

Goto A

Since I know you guys hate goto's so much =D
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 12:42:01 pm    Post subject:

SnugenZ wrote:
* Is ur calc on
* Are you using the latest verson of TI_Graphlink (found at education.ti.com -- I believe)
* Is it the serial cable or the black cable -- If it is the black cable you need to do some adjusting
*Uhm -- If I think of any more I will edit this post -- In conclusion this last step should redirect you to step one =D

1) My calc's on at the home screen.
2) Yes screwed and everything
3) Check the picture I've posted, it's black and I connect it in the serial port
4) I checked these three steps 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 times.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 03:37:55 pm    Post subject:

SnugenZ wrote:
* Is ur calc on

It should turn on automatically.

Quote:

I have nothing to say about this

Quote:

try going into ti-connect's communication settings. You might have it looking in the wrong port for your calc.

Quote:

I have the same cable and never done no 'adjusting'

Quote:

* Check if your batteries work
* Check if TI-Connect is properly installed
* Check if your calc has enough memory
* Check if your computer has enough memory
* Check if the cable is damaged
* Take a hammer
* Apply hammer liberally to calculator

Quote:
Goto A

Goto statements make reading a program that much harder. Also, a backwards goto (directed to a label earlier on) makes analyzing the run time of a program more difficult, since that Goto may account for the bulk of the running time. The only gotos that are justifiable are gotos to get out of a cycle, since here is no command to do it in TI-Basic.
SnugenZ

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 04:06:32 pm    Post subject:

Is it the 9 pin cable or the 25 pin cable -- if it is 25 in graphlink menu from the start button it should say sink with black cable or something along those lines --- and As for the goto things stated by kevin -- that did not make any sense in my language -- maybe you could elaborate on that i nthe english language for me some other time
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 04:07:35 pm    Post subject:

9-pin. You can see the little pin things on the picture.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 07:34:21 pm    Post subject:

While using the black serial cable (as pictured above), I have on occasion run into a similar problem of not being able to open the communications port. This is usually because I have another program running that accesses said port. For example, I have two graphlink programs running. (83 Plus and 89 versions.) Or I even have VTI and the graphlink software both up and going. My suggestion is that you try and make sure that the graphlink program is the only thing running which accesses the serial port.
SnugenZ

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 09:52:35 pm    Post subject:

Fortunatly for me, I have the usb cable, and went the extra mile, (In this case 7 bucks) -- and it transfers double speed -- and it looks cooler -- Enjoy your serial cable -- Jeramiah is probably right
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 10:14:11 pm    Post subject:

the usb cable sucks... i would rather have the serial cable and be able to transfer at least SOMETHING! with the blasted USB cable, i cant send a single little app at all... just SMALL programs! Mad

have you tried TI-Connect, AND TI-Graphlink?
JacobdeHaan

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 11:11:49 pm    Post subject:

Yes, the USB cable can suck, but it works fine with apps and huge programs like Joltima. The only problem is that you can't do rom dumps with it, cause they're all made for the other cables, except for TILP, which I can't get to work.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 11:41:52 pm    Post subject:

I find the serial cable more reliable as well. I use it often too. Although I do have a USB cable, which I hardly ever use but loan out to friends, which I got for $0.01. Very Happy That was during the time of a $15.00 rebate if you bought one. Went to my local Wal-Mart, where they were $14.13 without tax, and purchased it. Total of $15.01. $15 came in the mail a month later. Couldn't have been happier. Laughing

Why can't you get TiLP to work? I've gotten it to work just fine...
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Dec 2003 01:03:18 pm    Post subject:

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
While using the black serial cable (as pictured above), I have on occasion run into a similar problem of not being able to open the communications port.  This is usually because I have another program running that accesses said port.  For example, I have two graphlink programs running.  (83 Plus and 89 versions.)  Or I even have VTI and the graphlink software both up and going.  My suggestion is that you try and make sure that the graphlink program is the only thing running which accesses the serial port.

If i'm sure that the only software using the port is TI-Graph-Link 83+, where can I check if a modem is running. It's not my computer and modem usualy block all the communication.

PS: It's a internal modem.
Matt

Posted: 01 Dec 2003 04:20:02 pm    Post subject:

well . . .the only problem I have ever run into w/ a USB cable is that it cannot retrive a ROM Image for VTI so not the USB cable does not suck I have never had a problem with it @ all!

Kevin- you otta' try a USB with their new software of Ti-Connect ((2.1)Somethin like that) That should do ya good
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Dec 2003 05:22:13 pm    Post subject:

No, VTI cannot retrieve a rom using a USB cable. That's what TiLP is for. The latest version of TIConnect is 1.3.1, not 2.1. (Unless, of course, they've decided to make a huge leap in their development.)
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Dec 2003 05:24:24 pm    Post subject:

and add proper support for the stupid USB cable? ok! sounds good to me!
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2003 07:17:09 pm    Post subject:

yeah, the vti not being able to get a rom is the only prob for me (usb, cost $0.00). there were some file that it wouldnt send, but vti wouldnt accept them either,so i left them.
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 May 2008 03:08:24 pm    Post subject:

ok, here we goes again... more connection troubles:

I stopped using graph link long ago because XP detects it as a bad program (since it's not even supposed to be used on XP, even in compatibility mode), so now I started using TI connect.

However, since one week I have been unable to send programs to my TI-83+. I can get screen capture fine, but when TI connect tries to search for my calc it finds nothing. Being able to screencapture means it's not the cable. With TiLP everything seems to work fine, but I always prefered to use TI Connect as in Windows I just right click on programs and send to ti device so it goes faster. I tried after a fresh reset and it still didn't worked. Just screencapture would work.

I still have a serial (black) link cable btw.Anyone know what might be the problem? Thanks.

(sorry for the huge necropost and if it sounds weird that the guy who made Metroid II asks a calc linking question)

Last edited by Guest on 11 May 2008 03:10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement