This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
omni

Posted: 26 Nov 2003 08:23:47 pm    Post subject:

When I try to run tasm to compile my program, my screen turns black and I am not able to see anything on the screen, but I am still able to do Ctrl+ALT+DEL. This is the same with other MSDOS applications, like my programs I made in C. Anyways, when the screen turned black, I resetted my computer with CRTL ALT DEL. Then I went into the folder my programs were in and for some reason the program I tried to compile, was compiled!
Jeffrey

Posted: 26 Nov 2003 09:54:02 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. Sounds like a DOS problem. If it happens when running other DOS programs, then its universal, not just TASM. It sounds like it is still executing the program as well. I am no master at DOS troubleshooting, but to me it sounds like a display driver may not be working correctly [stab in the dark].

When running MS-DOS the resolution changes, so maybe that is the case.

Have you done anything to your computer lately, such as install new hardware?

This may do better in the General support area, as it is not much of an ASM problem since it is a DOS problem in general.
MaxVT103

Posted: 26 Nov 2003 11:29:24 pm    Post subject:

Its probobly the display driver. If it freezes it may have entered the failsafe by accident somehow and you might need to boot your computer into dos instead of windows and see if that resets the display.
omni

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 06:29:55 pm    Post subject:

I updated my graphics driver and for a few times TASM worked properly, but now it doesn't work. So should I change the font type or do you guys have any other suggestions?

"Its probobly the display driver. If it freezes it may have entered the failsafe by accident somehow and you might need to boot your computer into dos instead of windows and see if that resets the display.
"
How would I do this?(Yeah I'm not extremely computer literate)

Last edited by Guest on 27 Nov 2003 07:19:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 09:38:27 am    Post subject:

Close all windows (or minimize them), then press Alt and F4 at the same time. This should pop-up a dialog box with 3 to 4 options (depending on registry settnigs) one of which should be something like 'close and reboot in MS-DOS mode.' select it and click 'ok'.

Now your computer will try to boot up in MS-DOS mode, you acn navigate in MS-DOS the following way:

Show directory listing: /dir
Open directory X: cd X
Go up one directory: cd ..
Go up back to drive's main directory: cd ...
Run program: PRGMNAME

For example (ASM.bat is situated in C:\ASM\TASM)

C:\WINDOWS\> CD ..
C:\> CD ASM
C:\ASM\> CD TASM
C:\ASM\TASM\> ASM TEST
omni

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 06:06:28 pm    Post subject:

So that means if I want to compile my programs to test them, I will always have to go to MSDOS and compile it there? (unless if I fix the problem) Stupid Microsoft and Windows Mad
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Nov 2003 06:23:02 am    Post subject:

DOS is fun, if you want to start up windows when you're ready with DOS just type 'win'.

When in windows, you can use the ms-dos promt to start windows programs (type 'start calc' for example) which makes you look like a 1337 |-|/\><><0|2 and saves some time depending on how you use windows.

Quote:
Stupid Microsoft and Windows
Stupid people who can't even use the userfriendlyiest OS ever/Stupid people who can't even make sure their 3rd party software actually works before releasing it causing people to think it's Microsoft's fault.
JacobdeHaan

Posted: 30 Nov 2003 05:02:21 am    Post subject:

I'm glad to see that not everyone on this forum hates windows.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement