This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 07:52:02 pm    Post subject:

I don't know how many people are aware of this, because it was brought up here in 2004 and then dismissed by ArcaneWizard, but apparently someone made a TI-83 (not Plus) emulator in Java. I think this is kind of cool, because it provides a way for people to mess around with the calculator and games or programs from ticalc.org without having to mess around with ROM files (since the ROM file would be hosted on the server and inaccessable to the user, which I'm pretty sure makes it legal).

Here's where I found it: http://www.df.lth.se/~lft/entertainment/stranded/

I've decompiled the source, and it looks like it's a real emulator, although it's at least partially customized for the particular game it's hosting. Maybe someone (shot not) would be interested in contacting the author about permission to modify it to be a more full, generic emulator, and add archive support so that it can work with the plus series? (S)he might even have the source code lying around, which would be nice, because although Java is one of the better (best?) languages to decompile, since it preserves variable names and stuff, it obviously doesn't preserve comments...

Anyway, even if nothing happens with this, I thought it was a pretty cool idea. Could you imagine if ticalc.org gave the option of testing programs and games right in your browser, before even downloading them? It would be pretty handy, since I hate digging out my own calculator, or even finding where I dumped an emulator and rom files on my hard drive.
benryves

Posted: 24 Mar 2009 06:26:13 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, Java applets are downloaded and run on the client, not the server, so ROM distribution is still a problem.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 24 Mar 2009 08:11:55 pm    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
Unfortunately, Java applets are downloaded and run on the client, not the server, so ROM distribution is still a problem.
Yeah, I realized that after I posted. Hmm. Maybe if we modify it to use server-side java scripting, and just feed keyboard input and video output via an applet...
Galandros

Posted: 25 Mar 2009 10:57:29 am    Post subject:

What a really cool and amazing idea. Too bad it hasn't passed legal issues yet.

If ticalc accepted such idea, surely more programs would be run. Yet rest to know on calculator or not. Razz Restricting to 10 minutes of use of emulator would be greedy...
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 02:45:55 pm    Post subject:

hmm, but if everyone had access to the ti-calculators online, even if they didn't have the rom, wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose ti did restrict rom distribution?
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 03:39:57 pm    Post subject:

TI defeated it themselves when they provided the Flash Debugger for free with clc files (essentially roms)
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 04:17:53 pm    Post subject:

magicdanw wrote:
Yeah, I realized that after I posted. Hmm. Maybe if we modify it to use server-side java scripting, and just feed keyboard input and video output via an applet...

You could use RMI (Remote Method Invocation).
critor

Posted: 04 Apr 2011 10:22:20 am    Post subject:

benryves wrote:

Not sure it's a problem in that case.
The emulator doesn't seem to include/load any ROM file.
Deep Thought

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 15 Apr 2011 08:19:08 pm    Post subject:

Necro? :|

Anyway, do we know who Linus Akesson is? If he's still around maybe we could borrow his source and make a real online emulator. It would still need a ROM, but having an online calc would still be cool.

Or maybe one in Flash? I know there's another emulator out there (don't know the URL) that does non-flashed Z80 calcs (requiring a ROM). It might be a big jump to add the flash support, but at least all the Z80 opcodes are already emulated pretty well.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Apr 2011 08:19:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 20 Apr 2011 01:24:06 am    Post subject:

I know the name of "Linus Akesson" from his award-winning Breakpoint 2008 wild demo, http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=50141 .
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement