This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Mar 2009 01:01:07 am    Post subject:

Here's a list of things I need to do. Please bug me on a frequent basis about any of them that intrigue you.

* Finish the new SFGP site
* Finish my advanced Basic tutorials and put the contest page over on the new site
* Finish iPaint
* Experiment some more with adrive.
* Finish my PyCardGames api + PySabacc. maybe follow it up with PyNuts.
* TBG
* Update some of my java games to actually be coded well. In particular, the helicopter game is a dirty hack, and *not* thread safe like it should be. Also, speed should be tied to a timer and not frame rate. Maybe rewrite TanXz and my slime volleyball mods to have good graphics too....
* Finish the NetFalcon and the GCode Adjuster, and find schools that will pay me for them.
* Document my random Python snippets and put them online.
* Make the Tomahawk CMS be in a more generically useable state.
* Polish up a story or three.

Other things I'm doing that take priority:
* Village2Village Project website (reason for taking priority: $$$)
* Substitute teaching (reason for taking priority: $$$)
* Continuing research project on graph theory + geographic networks (Gets my name in a research publication before starting college, and a free trip to California in 3 weeks)
* Vermont Sustainable Heating Initiative (I'm on the board of directors and a founding member, and we're in the process of doing a huge pilot project with low income families)

The game engine for Sabacc is almost complete, and once I finish a couple more functions its on to writing the network code and "driver" classes for AIs and local and remote clients. For now I'm just using a randomly driven AI test class. PyCardGames seems to be pretty complete, and if anyone wants to test it (or just give some feedback on the api), the code is here and the documentation is here. A random coolness to generate card images is here.

transcript of a randomly controlled game. I just need to finish the code that determines who won, settling a tie, and handing out the money in the pot. I should also add a line that displays the current pot totals. The revealed cards are the ones each player has placed in the neutral field to prevent a shift, the unrevealed cards are the rest of their hand. At the end of the game, when someone calls it, all cards are locked in.

Code:
Gametype: 'Standard Sabacc'
60 cards left in deck

Players:
      Name: Bob      Credits: 200
      Cards:  ---,  ---,  ---,  ---, 

Name: Fred     Credits: 300

Name: Sally    Credits: 250

Name: Harold   Credits: 400

60 cards left in deck

Players:
      Name: Bob      Credits: 199
      Cards:  8 of Staves,  ---,  ---,  ---, 

Name: Fred     Credits: 299

Name: Sally    Credits: 244

Name: Harold   Credits: 391

60 cards left in deck

Players:
      Name: Bob      Credits: 194

Name: Fred     Credits: 294
      Cards:  Master of Coins,  ---,  ---,  ---, 

Name: Sally    Credits: 238

Name: Harold   Credits: 383

59 cards left in deck

Players:
      Name: Bob      Credits: 192

Name: Fred     Credits: 288
      Cards:  Master of Coins,  ---,  ---,  ---, 

Name: Sally    Credits: 227
      Cards:  ---,  ---,  5 of Flasks,  ---,  ---, 

Name: Harold   Credits: 369

59 cards left in deck

Players:
      Name: Bob      Credits: 188
      Cards:  8 of Staves,  Endurance,  10 of Sabers,  Mistress of Sabers, 

Name: Fred     Credits: 283
      Cards:  Master of Coins,  3 of Sabers,  Endurance,  6 of Coins, 

Name: Sally    Credits: 217
      Cards:  Moderation,  8 of Coins,  5 of Flasks,  11 of Sabers,  7 of Staves, 

Name: Harold   Credits: 358
      Cards:  3 of Staves,  4 of Staves,  7 of Flasks,  11 of Coins, 

{'Bob': (24, 23, 'Pure Sabacc'), 'Sally': (17, 17, None), 'Harold': (-24, 25, 'Bombed Out'), 'Fred': (15, 15, None)}
[(-24, 15, 17, 24), (25, 15, 17, 23), ('Bombed Out', None, None, 'Pure Sabacc')]

Last edited by Guest on 09 Mar 2009 01:04:53 am; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 09 Mar 2009 01:41:48 pm    Post subject:

Cool projects Very Happy

Quote:
* Continuing research project on graph theory + geographic networks (Gets my name in a research publication before starting college, and a free trip to California in 3 weeks)

That's awesome! Are you going to be a math or CS major?

Expect to be bugged on a frequent basis about SFGP and the Python stuff Razz
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Mar 2009 07:25:38 pm    Post subject:

Or you could be like me and not decide which subject you like best. Go for the double major in CS and Math.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Mar 2009 10:00:31 pm    Post subject:

simplethinker wrote:
Cool projects Very Happy

Thanks Very Happy
simplethinker wrote:
Quote:

That's awesome! Are you going to be a math or CS major?

I'll officially be enrolled as a CS student at Saint Michael's starting this fall, with cross enrollment at UVM for my Electrical Engineering classes.

simplethinker wrote:
Expect to be bugged on a frequent basis about SFGP and the Python stuff Razz

yay Very Happy and on that note, I was bored today and started writing a z80 emulator in Python. I'm designing it to support basically any other hardware you want to throw at it through the use of classes. My processor class now has handlers that support all the data movement instructions from here, including the undocumented behavior described here: http://www.z80.info/z80undoc3.txt I have not yet written the main emulation loop, I'm waiting to do that until all the opcodes are supported and I can make a table of the instructions, but I'm planning on using function decorators to emulate the proper number of clock-cycles per instruction (assuming I can find an accurate timing module for Python).
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 09 Mar 2009 10:58:17 pm    Post subject:

You know what would be cool with this z80 emulator? If you someday make it into something like wabbitemu or pindurti make it so if you have two emulators open you can link the two programs and have hotkeys set for the two different programs so people could test multiplayer calc games on a computer. Just a thought, though. Sounds cool so far. I really like the iPaint app.
benryves

Posted: 10 Mar 2009 11:37:15 am    Post subject:

Sounds good. Smile I strongly recommend ZEXALL to test the Z80 emulator; SMS Power! has a version (ZEXDOC rather than ZEXALL) that uses the SDSC Debug Console.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Mar 2009 01:26:52 pm    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
Sounds good. Smile I strongly recommend ZEXALL to test the Z80 emulator; SMS Power! has a version (ZEXDOC rather than ZEXALL) that uses the SDSC Debug Console.

ah Smile thanks for the tip. Also, slightly revised story with the emulator: I'm writing the core in Cython for better performance, and then any interfacing will be done via wxPython and (likely) a GLCanvas.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Mar 2009 06:19:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Mar 2009 05:45:50 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for the double post, but I thought I should mention that the contest and tutorial pages have been ported over to my new site layout (although I didn't spend any time working on writing more of it).

Here's the new page: http://sfgp.cemetech.net/?page=badvtoc
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 May 2009 03:05:38 pm    Post subject:

I decided to scrap python in favor of something speedier, but still cross platform. Just to prove I'm being productive.

Galandros

Posted: 06 May 2009 03:56:16 pm    Post subject:

debugging some error in so many lines must make you feel very bellow average.

I saw your progress on Revsoft. Anyway, are you planning something that distinct your emulator from others? The others serve well but if you are making in objective to learn/practising, I sincerely hope you achieved that.
EDIt: could you actually make it into an applet? I ignore if that is difficult or not...

Last edited by Guest on 06 May 2009 03:58:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 May 2009 06:25:36 pm    Post subject:

Galandros wrote:
debugging some error in so many lines must make you feel very bellow average.

haha, I haven't even started debugging yet, I'm waiting till I've implemented the complete instruction set, and then I'll work my way through the zexall test suite to make sure all my opcodes work correctly. Also....500 lines isn't particularly long, the combined source code for the beginnings of my Java RPG engine prints out to over 40 pages, and that's still largely incomplete.

Galandros wrote:
I saw your progress on Revsoft. Anyway, are you planning something that distinct your emulator from others?

General cross platform awesomeness, and modular design for easy extensibility.

Galandros wrote:
could you actually make it into an applet? I ignore if that is difficult or not...

yes, I could. I just couldn't host that applet with a ROM, and to use your own ROM I'd have to go through the hassle of signing it.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 May 2009 12:50:05 pm    Post subject:

Maybe you could add some serverside script and use the ROM from the server? (I've never coded any applets, though, so I don't know)
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 May 2009 01:41:11 pm    Post subject:

he isnt allowed to copy the rom to your comp, so you will need to send instructions to the server, which executes them, and sends the result back

wich is VERRY slow (ping)
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 May 2009 02:02:13 pm    Post subject:

No, you upload the ROM to the server (with a cgi module or something) and the applet fetches the ROM from the server (I don't think you'd have to sign it to do that, but I'm not sure)
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 May 2009 02:22:06 pm    Post subject:

you aren't allowed to download the rom to your applet

technically, moving drm-protected music from the disc to (temporally) ram is illegal too, this falls in the same category
(it is impossible to to play music directly from the disc, annyway..)
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2009 07:21:27 pm    Post subject:

Mapar007 wrote:
and the applet fetches the ROM from the server

this is illegal. it's in no way different from your web browser doing the same thing.

I might be in my rights if it was password protected and only I could use it, but that's pushing it.

Last edited by Guest on 11 May 2009 07:22:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 May 2009 11:11:57 am    Post subject:

Ok, then you'll have to sign the applet, or just code it into an application.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2009 04:12:43 pm    Post subject:

Mapar007 wrote:
Ok, then you'll have to sign the applet, or just code it into an application.

There's really no difference for the majority of the code. it'll be a difference of whether I wrap my calculator widget in an applet or a canvas....
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement