This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Feb 2009 01:03:39 am    Post subject:

I'm getting somewhat proficient in java and I really wanted to make a program editor for the 83+/84+ I'm wondering if someone can point me in the direction I need to go to learn how to take .8xp programs as input and output them as well. There's a lack of TI-BASIC editors available, and I want to contribute.

I've never really done anything like this before, so I don't know where to start. I was going to hex edit a program... but I thought that might be a tad tedious.
Galandros

Posted: 14 Feb 2009 05:23:35 am    Post subject:

jakethepspguy wrote:
I'm getting somewhat proficient in java and I really wanted to make a program editor for the 83+/84+ I'm wondering if someone can point me in the direction I need to go to learn how to take .8xp programs as input and output them as well. There's a lack of TI-BASIC editors available, and I want to contribute.

I've never really done anything like this before, so I don't know where to start. I was going to hex edit a program... but I thought that might be a tad tedious.

no, no, no.

See an include file with tokens equated and you have the hex of lots of them.
Download this the annexed file in http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry128071

Happy coding!

Also, you can use Calcsys to search other tokens by its bytes.
EDIT: You can also search or make a program to view all tokens...

Last edited by Guest on 14 Feb 2009 05:25:12 am; edited 1 time in total
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Feb 2009 11:07:59 am    Post subject:

For information about the .8xp file format (and similar formats for other calculators), see: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/247/24750.html
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 10:32:49 pm    Post subject:

Thanks you guys. I'm gonna use the info and make it work! I already got syntax highlighting... lol...
Lasering

Posted: 19 Feb 2009 01:28:49 pm    Post subject:

If you are using Java.NET you can use the dll in this post. You just have to add a reference to it and use the functions to open/save/edit a 8xp file.
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 21 Feb 2009 08:38:21 pm    Post subject:

...............I really wish I had seen that yesterday. I just coded a method to read the file, get its byte code, and then turn all the tokens into strings so I can read the commands as plain text..... GAR!!!!!! Well, I guess I'm more inspired to finish this thing this way.

Before I really go all out on this, there isn't anything better than TI-Graph Link for on-computer BASIC coding, is there? My goal with this project is to replace the obviously obsolete TI-Graph Link.
Plague

Posted: 26 Feb 2009 01:20:51 pm    Post subject:

I haven't found anything better so please finish your program :biggrin:
Galandros

Posted: 26 Feb 2009 05:05:22 pm    Post subject:

jakethepspguy wrote:
...............I really wish I had seen that yesterday. I just coded a method to read the file, get its byte code, and then turn all the tokens into strings so I can read the commands as plain text..... GAR!!!!!! Well, I guess I'm more inspired to finish this thing this way.

Before I really go all out on this, there isn't anything better than TI-Graph Link for on-computer BASIC coding, is there? My goal with this project is to replace the obviously obsolete TI-Graph Link.
That I know of, no. And I even found a program to pass text file to BASIC. I didn't tested but seems bad and not that useful.

LATE EDIT: Could you add a byte counter? Please, please?
Also a nice IDE. And supports all tokens, printed right unlike ti sourcecoder.

Also options to output code to show in forums, or ASCII text.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Feb 2009 06:16:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 26 Feb 2009 09:22:35 pm    Post subject:

Plague wrote:
I haven't found anything better so please finish your program :biggrin:

Oh, I will Smile I get an A in my java class by writing an extra program each chapter, and this is going to be it. I'm going for the full "programmer's environment."

Galandros wrote:
jakethepspguy wrote:

That I know of, no. And I even found a program to pass text file to BASIC. I didn't tested but seems bad and not that useful.

LATE EDIT: Could you add a byte counter? Please, please?
Also a nice IDE. And supports all tokens, printed right unlike ti sourcecoder.

Also options to output code to show in forums, or ASCII text.

Yes, I will definitely add a byte counter Smile I'm going to include everything a BASIC programmer will ever need, and I'll take suggestions once I can't think of anything else to put into it. It's going to be as light weight as I can make it, because I hate it when programs freeze up on me. I don't know how much time I have left until all my class programs are due, but I'm thinking it's about a week to a month from now. So expect a release before the end of March for sure. My dream is coming true, man!

Why does ticalc make the ; ) symbol look all cringed? It's meant to be a happy wink face thing, man! Wink That being said... I love this site Smile

Last edited by Guest on 26 Feb 2009 09:23:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galandros

Posted: 27 Feb 2009 07:28:43 am    Post subject:

Great.

I found one thing that could help you view many tokens oncalc:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/312/31238.html

You can view many tokens in the calculator screen so it is very useful.

SUPER LATE EDIT: I am forgetting Optional colour syntax.
And this should be more as secondary objectives:
syntax check
optimize ending )}] and ". And other replace/take optimizations.
editing variables such as lists, matrices and pictures. But TI-CONNECT is enough good to do this, so maybe just forget.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Feb 2009 02:58:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 27 Feb 2009 05:59:11 pm    Post subject:

Galandros wrote:
Great.

I found one thing that could help you view many tokens oncalc:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/312/31238.html

You can view many tokens in the calculator screen so it is very useful.

SUPER LATE EDIT: I am forgetting Optional colour syntax.
And this should be more as secondary objectives:
syntax check
optimize ending )}] and ". And other replace/take optimizations.
editing variables such as lists, matrices and pictures. But TI-CONNECT is enough good to do this, so maybe just forget.

THANK YOU!!! Smile I didn't want to do trial and error for the lowercase characters and other stuff... so thank you so much. I already have color syntax highlighting, and on/off for it will be incredibly easy. I have planned for syntax checking... I'm sure that will be fun lol. I've used TI's new program editor, and I see the flaw in syntax checking. I'll have it as an option, instead of disabling you from saving a program that has things my program considers as "errors." I'll continue to update the project until everyone is satisfied with it Smile

My friend is working on an "image maker" for the program also. It's going to be able to take an image from your computer as input and resize/reshape it to fit the calculator's screen Smile Not only will there be list/other data editors, but they'll incorporate a unique design that allows you to name their indexes without affecting your code. So if you're making a custom list for stats and you want to bring up your HP from the list, you'll just double click and it'll print out L1(7) to your code or whatever. Once I have the save option working, most of this other stuff's going to be easy. (Except syntax check Sad)
Galandros

Posted: 27 Feb 2009 06:16:41 pm    Post subject:

Good it will be added everything. If all goes well, we will have a full BASIC developing program.
Syntax checking doesn't seem easy... With the TI program editor I somehow managed to save without passing the syntax check...
Customize the colours of syntax highlighting can be important. Turn out and off, too. Because some pass so well without that some like me may not need it... Or even distract or anything.

Ah, I also have to learn in summer a computer language to make some things like this. Very Happy
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 28 Feb 2009 02:47:17 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, hopefully this will work out nicely. It runs really quickly and it can generate a program of a large number of lines instantly, so it's good so far Smile I'm having a slight problem, though. Does anyone know how to find a program's checksum? My method of finding it isn't working, so I must be doing something wrong.

I've used these sites as reference, but I still don't know what I'm doing.

http://www.ticalc.org/cgi-bin/zipview?text...p;origional.txt

http://www.ticalc.org/cgi-bin/zipview?text...zip;updated.txt

The second one was extremely helpful, but I can't get my checksum! Sad
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Feb 2009 07:44:44 pm    Post subject:

Er, well, strictly speaking there isn't a checksum for the *program*, there's only a checksum for the entire file. It's the 16-bit sum of all the bytes in all the variable headers and data in the file (starting at the 0D of the first variable header, if it's a TI-83+ file.)

If you're writing this in Java, perhaps you're treating bytes as signed 8-bit integers rather than unsigned? (I seem to remember that Java does that by default.)

Last edited by Guest on 28 Feb 2009 07:46:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 01 Mar 2009 04:05:19 pm    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:
Er, well, strictly speaking there isn't a checksum for the *program*, there's only a checksum for the entire file. It's the 16-bit sum of all the bytes in all the variable headers and data in the file (starting at the 0D of the first variable header, if it's a TI-83+ file.)

If you're writing this in Java, perhaps you're treating bytes as signed 8-bit integers rather than unsigned? (I seem to remember that Java does that by default.)

Good call. Yeah, that's what my program was doing so I was trying to find the sum of signed bytes, which inevitably made some come out as negative numbers, decreasing the total. So I found some guides on the subject and I'm now able to calculate the checksum. It's working, save some minor errors. I just have to work out the kinks and then get going on adding those extra features Smile
Phobia

Posted: 04 Mar 2009 06:18:02 pm    Post subject:

Will you share the source-code? so it can be ported to Linux? Please do so as in linux i cannot edit .8xp files
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 Mar 2009 10:02:02 pm    Post subject:

Phobia wrote:
Will you share the source-code? so it can be ported to Linux? Please do so as in linux i cannot edit .8xp files

Yeah. I've only had like one year of Java experience so my code isn't super optimized but I'll make it open source. The only thing I'm hoping to gain from this project is the ability to program ti-basic on the computer in a relaxed environment. If people like it enough to donate money, that would be awesome, but I don't really give a a about that. Some day, if I'm starving on the street, I might change my mind about that though lol
Deo Favente

Posted: 10 Mar 2009 05:46:55 pm    Post subject:

An open source TI-basic editor in java? I started one a while ago as well. Mines an applet, which will get hosted on my site. I've had more experience in java but my code still looks like shit to anyone else. Plus, the interface kinda sucks cause umm... ill just make a screenie when possible. How far are you in making yours?
Plague

Posted: 10 Mar 2009 08:11:26 pm    Post subject:

Hey man hows the project coming? Im starting a rather large program for my calculus class here in the next day or two i was wondering if you might have a beta of the program out yet because ti graph link is pissing me off and it takes too long on the calc :(

Hope its coming good,
Justin
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Mar 2009 12:07:13 pm    Post subject:

Deo Favente wrote:
An open source TI-basic editor in java? I started one a while ago as well. Mines an applet, which will get hosted on my site. I've had more experience in java but my code still looks like shit to anyone else. Plus, the interface kinda sucks cause umm... ill just make a screenie when possible. How far are you in making yours?

So far I can read programs with 100% accuracy, but I'm still having a few minor problems with output. It is NOT ready to use, unfortunately. I just tested a random program of mine (roughly 70 lines or so) and it couldn't calculate the correct checksum... How far did you get?

Plague wrote:
Hey man hows the project coming? Im starting a rather large program for my calculus class here in the next day or two i was wondering if you might have a beta of the program out yet because ti graph link is pissing me off and it takes too long on the calc :(

Hope its coming good,
Justin

I'm sorry, dude. That's actually why I started making my program - to aid in the making of a monster collector RPG that became unmanageable on-calc. I could give the prog out right now, but it wouldn't do anyone any good. I'm in the middle of a move to another state, as well... Once I get finished with the move, I'll be getting a badass computer. THEN I'll be able to get some major work done. The way I see it, this project will be my first real contribution to the world of coding. I aim to please ;)

So anyway, expect to see a beta in the next three weeks. Sorry for the hiatus guys. Life seems to create roadblocks left and right, man.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement