This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
mr. sir

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 02:51:15 pm    Post subject:

I've always wondered if you could fit 25 letters into a 5x5 grid such that the first 3 letters of each month are in there somewhere: diagonally, vertically, horizontally, backwards: The grid

Code:
FJGLD
EMUYE
BJANC
 MPR
  R 

is pretty pathetic, because it is lacking sep, oct, and nov. I bet there is a way to brute force it in BASIC, but I don't have a clue how to start. Could you, the reader, post your code? I'd really like to have this question cleared up. I have gotten so irritatingly close, but still nothing. Thanks!
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 08:31:06 pm    Post subject:

Cool puzzle! Of course you *could* write a program to brute-force it in BASIC, but I doubt you'd have the patience (or the batteries) to wait for it to finish. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jan 2009 08:31:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Jan 2009 04:48:40 pm    Post subject:

Answer:
[whiteout]VONRO
GUARC
JMPDT
UAFEB
LYNCS

(It took my solver, written in C and running on my PC, about 40 minutes to come up with this. My PC is over a hundred times faster than a TI calculator. This is also the result of searching about 47% of the possible configurations, modulo rotations and reflections; the above might not be the only solution.)

Edit: Of course it isn't the only solution; there are at least 8 solutions, since you can switch the positions and orientations of FEB and DEC.
[/whiteout]

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jul 2010 01:18:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement