This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 01:53:25 pm    Post subject:

Let's get this straight, right now. Barack knew his lines by heart, and was very much prepared to say them correctly:

US Constitution–Article II–Section 1 wrote:
Before he enter on the execution of his office, he shall take the following oath or affirmation: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States."

But if you'll watch the oath again, you'll note that Chief of Justice John Roberts is the person who flubbed his lines – he paused at the word "faithfully" and moved it to the end of the sentence (and had also said "President to" instead of "President of" as he was realizing his mistake). Obama reciprocated as though he were taken aback, rather than though he missed his lines.

He received words he didn't expect and understandably hesitated, perhaps to give the Chief of Justice a chance to correct himself. Obviously, he opted to repeat the phrase given to him to save any further embarrassment, but the stutter was not his fault. And as I write this, I hear CNN reporting the same thing, that the Chief messed up the oath for Barack. Honest journalism!

So, avoid this inevitable bandwagon, and please help others off of it.

In the interest of correctness (and the possible spread thereof) this was a crosspost from a reply I made at TI-Basic Developer.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jan 2009 09:33:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 08:39:09 pm    Post subject:

Looks like CNN still has more than a few Clinton die-hards on the payroll.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jan 2009 08:39:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ticalcnoah

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 08:41:20 pm    Post subject:

Plus there aren't many conservative comedians.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Jan 2009 06:09:35 pm    Post subject:

Obama voted against Chief Justice John Roberts and this was his way of getting even. Everyone believes that this was deliberate.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 21 Jan 2009 06:42:25 pm    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
Obama voted against Chief Justice John Roberts and this was his way of getting even. Everyone believes that this was deliberate.

Roberts is the friggin' Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court and Obama is the friggin' president of the United States, do you really believe Roberts would be petty enough to deliberately make a 'mistake' to make Obama look like he missed his lines? On top of that, it's quite simple to prove Roberts was the one who made that mistake, which means it would be worse for Roberts' image than Obama's Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 21 Jan 2009 07:18:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Jan 2009 07:07:11 pm    Post subject:

Talking about high ranking officials...

Did anyone else notice that Carter snubbed the Clintons. He shook Bush's hand and then walked past the Clintons without recognizing them.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Jan 2009 07:15:11 pm    Post subject:

good call on his part ;)

my first thought was that Obama was a little eager out of the gate and started talking to soon, didn't find out until later that it was actually said incorrectly.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Jan 2009 07:29:41 pm    Post subject:

Nonetheless here is the transcript:

ROBERTS: I, Barack Hussein Obama...
OBAMA: I, Barack...
ROBERTS: ... do solemnly swear...
OBAMA: I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear...
ROBERTS: ... that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully...
OBAMA: ... that I will execute...
ROBERTS: ... faithfully the office of president of the United States...
OBAMA: ... the office of president of the United States faithfully...
ROBERTS: ... and will to the best of my ability...
OBAMA: ... and will to the best of my ability...
ROBERTS: ... preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
OBAMA: ... preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
ROBERTS: So help you God?
OBAMA: So help me God.
ROBERTS: Congratulations, Mr. President.

Courtesy of MSNBC.

Secondly here is a excerpt from the Washing Times

"Mr. Obama was one of a handful of Democratic senators to vote against Mr. Roberts' confirmation to the high court. Mr. Roberts was nominated as chief justice in 2005 by President George W. Bush."

Like Simplethinker said it would seem unlikely this would be deliberate and the more I think about I would agree, but who knows?

Last edited by Guest on 21 Jan 2009 07:36:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Jan 2009 10:09:38 pm    Post subject:

Apparently Obama has retaken the oath again "just to be sure".

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/21/obama.oath/index.html
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 11:44:01 pm    Post subject:

I always find it fascinating when news is made out of things so simple that there is really almost no news to be made. People misspeak all the time, and the fumble in no way changed the meaning of what was being said. Smile
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Jan 2009 05:47:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

He may not be "conservative", but Stephen Colbert made fun of Obama's inauguration.
ticalcnoah

Posted: 23 Jan 2009 06:16:46 pm    Post subject:

Snipes17 wrote:
Quote:

He may not be "conservative", but Stephen Colbert made fun of Obama's inauguration.

Yes but he makes fun of everyone conservative or liberal.
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Jan 2009 09:48:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Yes but he makes fun of everyone conservative or liberal.

And he is pretty darn good at it, too Smile !
angel14995

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 03:12:26 pm    Post subject:

In my personal opinion, it's a worthless topic. As Magic said, people misspeak all the time. As if Obama messed it up or not, the ceremony is just that - a ceremony. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 04:30:12 pm    Post subject:

He wasn't the first president for this to happen too. Three other presidents experienced the same thing.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement