This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Galandros

Posted: 21 Dec 2008 11:12:30 am    Post subject:

Well I have a hard disk with around 180GB formatted and in only 1 partition. (and exist some MB unformatted)
It was used for Windows XP before it stopped to work. -.-

But now I have another installation but in this hard disk 60GB "vanquished".
I only have ~177GB used and ~12,1GB free. But by selecting ALL files and folders even hidden ones I get only 107 GB of files used. Now where are the 60GB?

Hopefully doesn't seem to have any file corrupt and tried some checks with ckdsk in a safe mode (from a even earlier installation) before giving up of the old windows installation.
And checked using some other programs. Maybe I will search for a good hard disk check...
And better think in backing all up. :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for the time and knowledge.
PS: I don't discarded yet the possibility of this being a nooby question...
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Dec 2008 06:08:44 pm    Post subject:

I would guess that is where the operating system is. Just a guess.
benryves

Posted: 21 Dec 2008 07:53:59 pm    Post subject:

It may also be restore points/volume shadow copies. WinDirStat is a useful tool to show disk space usage.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Dec 2008 07:54:11 pm    Post subject:

Um, how does 177GB + 12GB = 180GB? Did I miss out on a math class?

Anyway, if checkdisk isn't reporting any bad clusters, which having enough to equal 60GB wold be very unlikely, you must not be selecting all of your files, because 60GB just doesn't disappear. No it isn't where the OS is at, because the OS would probably take up only ~3GB.

I tried your method of selecting all files and I don't get an accurate reading either. I have 82GB that are used, but when I select all files I get about 75GB.

Do you do any a? I'm downloading about a 13GB file and it's only about halfway done which would mean about 7GB are unaccounted for, but the file will take up the full 13GB before it even begins downloading; leaving my 7GB unaccounted for accounted. So that's my guess.
Galandros

Posted: 22 Dec 2008 05:21:19 am    Post subject:

In that partition there was a Windows. Not operable any more but didn't erased it.
Beside I didn't erase programs, documents and windows folders yet I erased the system restore folder. Wink Kind of stupid...

Used something like WinDirStat to check and yes only 102GB and 7-zip that sees hidden files without going to folder options and put viewing hidden files...

Quote:
Um, how does 177GB + 12GB = 180GB? Did I miss out on a math class?
You missed an logic and attention class. Razz
The problem resides that in files only 102GB are effectively used. And 177GB are what proprieties of the disk says it's used. I think is clear.

Also before filling a bit the hard disk there where still the 60GB used... I don't use in this computer a. Incredible but is true. Very Happy But maybe other programs do the same effect. I guess I will be chasing them or format again when I have that possibility.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Dec 2008 05:24:32 am; edited 1 time in total
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 22 Dec 2008 10:04:46 am    Post subject:

A nice program that I used when memory was "disappearing" from my computer was SequoiaView.
Galandros

Posted: 22 Dec 2008 12:29:03 pm    Post subject:

ok no big mistery. First check my PS above.
Then read:
the 60GB are damaged. And is my newer hard disk in this pc. Just 60Gb became danified from day to night some time ago. Well that's it.
I did a chkdsk from command line and saw te relatory...

Last edited by Guest on 22 Dec 2008 12:29:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galandros

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 04:38:14 am    Post subject:

I reformatted the hard disk. (non-quick option) And I recovered all the 60GB marked as damaged.

I didn't do before because I hadn't time to waste if something went wrong.

I have been using for a month and all is ok. Just to make you know. It seems chkdsk is not able to recover damaged sectors...
PS: sorry the bump

Last edited by Guest on 11 Aug 2009 04:38:34 am; edited 1 time in total
panyan

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 12:03:17 pm    Post subject:

i sometimes find this problem as well, a clean install and copying my files back does the trick. I know its a pain in the a, but eventaully youll get low disk space warnings when you know you;ve got loads Smile
Galandros

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 02:35:35 pm    Post subject:

panyan wrote:
i sometimes find this problem as well, a clean install and copying my files back does the trick. I know its a pain in the a, but eventaully youll get low disk space warnings when you know you;ve got loads Smile

It shouldn't be hard for me except deciding where to allocate. I have more GB at home than the average. 2 hard drives in this pc (190GB and 110GB formatted), a laptop and 2 external hard drives (250GB and 500GB). =]

But most of people don't have any external hard drive at all... Besides desktop pcs in the last years come with at least 200GB of hard drive. But most people prefer laptops...
panyan

Posted: 12 Aug 2009 09:46:36 am    Post subject:

my macbook has 320gb, i have a hard drive to clone this hdd to (another 320gb). I have two dell laptops (each with 250gb). I have a hacked xbox with a 500gb in it. I have 750gb hooked up to my wii. I am neither strapped for space, but i am just warning that eventually you will get low space warnings if there are allocation problems. Smile
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Aug 2009 11:34:43 am    Post subject:

I guess there's always SeaTools and LifeGuard. Personally, I could use a switch for chkdisk to stop it from listing each bad sector. Last time that happened, it listed them line-by-line in the thousands and took hours to finish.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 10:05:22 pm    Post subject:

If chkdsk is reporting bad sectors and they are scrolling past your screen, you need to copy all important data off the drive immediately and replace the dirve. Do not even play around with it, do not even try formatting and installing Windows... again, if you get it working, it will just loose/corrupt important data files or your programs/operating system, so your system will quit working or loose some of your important data.

Once a hard drive starts going bad, it does NOT ever get better.

As for your space being missing... do not worry about it. Just check it with a partitioning tool and you can see the structure of the disk. From there, you can just look at the used/free space for the volume. DO NOT bother selecting all files and folders and asking Windows to tally everything up. It is just going to tell you the size, which is going to differ from the size on disk due to the NTFS block size of 4K, Master File Table (MST), Bitmap file, and all those truely hidden files. Then there are data sreams, meta data, and a lot of stuff that goes on behind-the-scenes. The numbers are not supposed to match, and there will always be missing space due to the overhead of the fileystem, so stop asking Windows to be an accountant and expecting the Windows Explorer (Bean Counter) to be hones/accurate. Explorer is concerned only wiht files/folders. The filesystem itself deals with much, much more.

Justin
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement