This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Iosaaris

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 01:25:43 pm    Post subject:

Some days ago I bought a used TI-89 (not the Titanium) and now I need a cable for connecting it to PC. The choice is between black serial and USB cable. I work mainly in WinXP and sometimes in Linux, so both will be good.

The question is are there any special advantages in each of them? For example will the black cable make possible connecting my TI to other RS-232 devices like digital multimeters.
benryves

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 06:05:07 pm    Post subject:

The black cable does not translate between RS-232 serial and the calculator's link protocol - the computer running the file transfer software has to implement the TI link protocol in software. This means that you would not be able to use the black cable to connect the calculator to standard serial devices without additional hardware. The old grey serial cable does, however, if you can find it - but I don't know how well supported it is with new file transfer programs.

I've always used the black cable (or a home-built compatible cable), never the USB (silver) cable, so can't really compare the two in any great detail.
Iosaaris

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 07:03:44 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the response. I'll try to obtain both and try. I think they both are available on eBay.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Dec 2008 07:56:49 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I use my Silverlink only because I could never aquire an other working cables, I have attempted to build a parallel cable multiple times but It never seems to work, even though I built it to spec, oh well Sad
benryves

Posted: 21 Dec 2008 08:57:38 pm    Post subject:

I've probably mentioned it before, but remove the resistors from the parallel link cable if it doesn't work (short them out). No parallel port I've ever seen is able to drive the calculator's data lines low with those resistors in place. My cable works perfectly on all computers I've tried it on with the resistors removed.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Dec 2008 11:04:48 pm    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
I've probably mentioned it before, but remove the resistors from the parallel link cable if it doesn't work (short them out). No parallel port I've ever seen is able to drive the calculator's data lines low with those resistors in place. My cable works perfectly on all computers I've tried it on with the resistors removed.
[post="130572"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah I have the resistors removed but it still doesn't seem to work. I'll have to double check I have every thing hooked up correctly and try again.
BTW, what linking program are you using with it I've had no luck with either tilp II for windows or linux.
Iosaaris

Posted: 22 Dec 2008 02:50:02 am    Post subject:

And what about this cable? The circuit is simple. Does it really work with TI's original software?
http://www.pacmeb.com/calc/serials.php
benryves

Posted: 22 Dec 2008 06:03:16 am    Post subject:

Yes, it works fine. It's the one I'm currently using. :)

TheStorm wrote:
BTW, what linking program are you using with it I've had no luck with either tilp II for windows or linux.

TILP 2 here. What's your parallel port's base address? (You can find it in device manager; find the port, resources, I/O range). My port's base address is 0xCCD8, so I needed to patch TILP in a hex editor. :\
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement